Playhead snapping bug?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ulrik Karlsson

Playhead snapping bug?

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 8:15 am

I have a simple feature request. It's the snapping behavior of the playhead. When I stop the playhead really close to an edit point and then select that edit point, then the playhead will automaticly snap to the edit point. This is annoying because I need the playhead to stay on its position and then snap the editpoint to the playhead instead. I don't know if this is a bug or not but I find it really annoying. Please make the playhead not snap to nearby edit points when they are selected. Also if I switch of snapping then the playhead still snaps to the mouse if I click very close to it. So to switch of snapping does not help in this case.

Except from that I really like this software. Best post production software ever!

Miltos Pilalitos

Re: Playhead snapping bug?

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 10:03 am

Try zooming-in in the timeline before doing that and you will not have the problem. I am doing what you are describing all the time. ;)
Windows 10 x64 • Threadripper 1950x • 64GB RAM • RTX 4090 24GB • Latest Nvidia drivers
Fusioneer since Fu4.0 • Resolver since v9

Andreas Schwarz

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 6:50 am

Ulrik Karlsson wrote:I have a simple feature request. It's the snapping behavior of the playhead. When I stop the playhead really close to an edit point and then select that edit point, then the playhead will automaticly snap to the edit point. This is annoying because I need the playhead to stay on its position and then snap the editpoint to the playhead instead. I don't know if this is a bug or not but I find it really annoying. Please make the playhead not snap to nearby edit points when they are selected. Also if I switch of snapping then the playhead still snaps to the mouse if I click very close to it. So to switch of snapping does not help in this case.

Except from that I really like this software. Best post production software ever!

This behaviour is normal and very annoying. There should be an option in the presets to turn this off!

Kraig Winterbottom

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 7:18 am

Yup! I came here to ask again to have this fixed and already contributed to one other thread asking for this. It's a deal breaker for me when editing.

Kraig Winterbottom

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 7:19 am

Miltos Pilalitos wrote:Try zooming-in in the timeline before doing that and you will not have the problem. I am doing what you are describing all the time. ;)

While that works, it's not a solution. I edit fast and my NLE needs to keep up.

Sam Steti

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 2:44 pm

That's the 1st issue I had months (almost years now) ago when I switched from FCP7 to resolve. It's still unfixed and I too zoom in before and out after when needed...
But the sooner it's fixed, the sooner I can find again a real editing pace again
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Kraig Winterbottom

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 2:00 am

Sam Steti wrote:That's the 1st issue I had months (almost years now) ago when I switched from FCP7 to resolve. It's still unfixed and I too zoom in before and out after when needed...
But the sooner it's fixed, the sooner I can find again a real editing pace again

I feel your pain man. I would actually love to use it for editing but that is so big a problem that I would run into it literally ever 10-20 seconds while editing. It needs a fix.

Jay Soriano

PostSat May 27, 2017 4:32 pm

I believe this is fixed. Just tested out on beta 3...moved the playhead close to the edit point and selected the edit point to drag and snap to playhead.

The snapping tool does need to be less sensitive though...if i click the playhead NEAR the end(or beginning) of the clip, it snaps to the end or edit point.
2015 15" Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz i7
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB
16GB RAM
FCPX/DaVinci Resolve Studio
Akitio Thunder2 Quad Mini
Envoy Pro EX

Tom Early

PostSat May 27, 2017 10:46 pm

can't say I've ever noticed that before, been using Mac version, studio mostly but also lite now on 12.5 and 14b1-3.

What I HAVE noticed though regarding snapping is that if you have snapping turned on, you cannot drag the in/out point of a marker to the exact frame of the playhead, it will always overshoot/undershoot by 1 frame.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Andreas Schwarz

PostSun May 28, 2017 8:15 am

...there were some other threads about this..It would be great, if this behaviour of the playhead would be turned off....Just a little thing, but it slows down the editing process a lot...

John Paines

PostSun May 28, 2017 3:10 pm

All this points to the modern software syndrome: constant addition of new features, but inattention to the details and performance which make all the difference in daily work.

Fairlight is an enormous undertaking, but the Resolve NLE still lags [even] FCP 1.0 in basics. And needless to say, there have been NLE improvements since FCP 1.0.

Jay Soriano

PostSun May 28, 2017 4:08 pm

Tom Early wrote:can't say I've ever noticed that before, been using Mac version, studio mostly but also lite now on 12.5 and 14b1-3.

What I HAVE noticed though regarding snapping is that if you have snapping turned on, you cannot drag the in/out point of a marker to the exact frame of the playhead, it will always overshoot/undershoot by 1 frame.

Hi Tom,

I just tested this out. With snapping on, dragging markers goes to the exact frame of the playhead. Unless I'm misunderstanding something here?
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB
16GB RAM
Envoy Pro EX

Tom Early

PostSun May 28, 2017 5:05 pm

Jay Soriano wrote:
Tom Early wrote:can't say I've ever noticed that before, been using Mac version, studio mostly but also lite now on 12.5 and 14b1-3.

Hi Tom,

I just tested this out. With snapping on, dragging markers goes to the exact frame of the playhead. Unless I'm misunderstanding something here?

I'm talking about when a marker is longer than a single frame. Double click on the marker, give it a duration that's longer than a single frame, and with snapping turned on, try and drag the end point to the position of the playhead. (The playhead will have to be either set within or after the span of the marker).

While testing this further I realised that if you grab the in point of a spanned marker, it will drag the whole marker, and this in point CAN snap to the playhead ok, it's just the out point that is affected.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Jay Soriano

PostSun May 28, 2017 8:38 pm

Thank you for clarifying Tom. I am recreating this bug on the outpoint as you mention.
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB
16GB RAM
Envoy Pro EX

Return to DaVinci Resolve