Resolve 14 beta crash (how i solved for me)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

carlomacchiavello

Resolve 14 beta crash (how i solved for me)

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 3:36 pm

i install a fresh win10
i install beta resolve 14, crash during boot.
i downloaded resolve 12.5.5, i installed (that overwrite something of 14 be cause not ask me where to install and not exist a different folders), but now seems that resolve 14 seems to work.

i have 780 for display card, 980ti for compute

Martin Schitter

Re: Resolve 14 beta crash (how i solved for me)

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 1:59 am

carlomacchiavello wrote:i install a fresh win10
i install beta resolve 14, crash during boot.
i downloaded resolve 12.5.5, i installed (that overwrite something of 14 be cause not ask me where to install and not exist a different folders), but now seems that resolve 14 seems to work.

thanks for this workaround!
it was the only way to get it going! :(

on a clean win10 creators update it did not work (=only splash screen "looking for control device"),
but after an attempt to reinstall 12.5.3, without removing 14 first, it did change some ms redistributables and 14 worked afterwards...

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 6:46 am

Sorry guys but there's something I don't understand - if you installed 12.5 AFTER the 14 Beta, you should now have the 12.5 active and launching, no? Are you saying that even after 12.5 installation, it's still the 14 that launches?

I'm also one of those whose v.14 installation didn't work; to be more precise it did work for 2 days, but after the first serious error (when it offered to save&exit, or exit w/o saving) it never found my database anymore: after all the splash screen messages it just vanished... So I reinstalled 12.5 and it works with my database (which I restored from backup). I could try installing the 14 Beta again, but am afraid it might corrupt things further :(

Piotr
AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP3200 | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

Jeff Brass

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 8:27 am

Same thing for me Piotr. I ended updeleting the DR14 database and straight away It started fine and is working well (except fairlight page) .am bringing projects into the new database via drp's now rather then importing the 12.5 database.
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 5930k|64GB RAM |GTX 1080 8gb | Mini Monitor | DR Studio 16.2

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 8:33 am

Must try out you method of importing project by project, Jeff - thanks!

Piotr
AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP3200 | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 8:54 am

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:Sorry guys but there's something I don't understand - if you installed 12.5 AFTER the 14 Beta, you should now have the 12.5 active and launching, no? Are you saying that even after 12.5 installation, it's still the 14 that launches?

I'm also one of those whose v.14 installation didn't work; to be more precise it did work for 2 days, but after the first serious error (when it offered to save&exit, or exit w/o saving) it never found my database anymore: after all the splash screen messages it just vanished... So I reinstalled 12.5 and it works with my database (which I restored from backup). I could try installing the 14 Beta again, but am afraid it might corrupt things further :(

Piotr

Hi Piotr,
i install 12 thinking to find two installation, but when i install 12 after 14 not ask me where install and use same path, then when i click on 12 icon start 14, and finally start.
to be honest i don't have any database in this install be cause i never use a beta in a Harddisk where i have a work, too much risk, i ever install beta on separated hd, and this time i exported all project and today, probably i try to load on new hd with beta of 14

Martin Schitter

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 10:31 am

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:Sorry guys but there's something I don't understand - if you installed 12.5 AFTER the 14 Beta, you should now have the 12.5 active and launching, no? Are you saying that even after 12.5 installation, it's still the 14 that launches?

in my case the 12.5.3 installer reported, that resolve is "still installed", and only up/downgraded windows library dependences included in the installer (MS Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable). 14 wasn't removed or downgraded by the old installer. but after this 12.5.3 installation attempt, i clicked the the resolve icon and it immediately worked...

i think. this troubles are related to clean os+resolve installations only (e.g. in virtual machines). if you update an existing installation, you'll have to fight other troubles. ;)

sandro.antonucci

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 11:27 am

How do you install 12.5.5 with 14 installed? it says a newer version is already installed

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 5:37 pm

You should not try to have both versions installed at the same time.
Back up your 12.5.5 database, then install beta 14 if you wish to try.

Uninstall 14 if you plan to go back to 12.5.5 and use the backup DB, not the 14 DB for 12.5.5 projects.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Martin Schitter

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 6:26 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:You should not try to have both versions installed at the same time.

Uninstall 14 if you plan to go back to 12.5.5 and use the backup DB, not the 14 DB for 12.5.5 projects.

sure -- that's the correct way to handle this tasks, but on many clean win10 systems resolve 14b1 doesn't start at all!
and this strange fix by using the 12.5.3 installer was the only way i could make it work -- after studding a lot of other error reports and workarounds here in the forum, which all didn't work in my case...

that's why i confirmed carlomacchiavellos finding.

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 7:29 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:You should not try to have both versions installed at the same time.

ooohhh sure... you tell me that i can install a beta software, but not at same times with stable branch, but ..
on a clean os i can't use it be cause not have all library of dotfx (i discover why after 12 install work...)

i work with resolve, i not play with it, and i'm not payed like betatester, than i test it only if i can use at same times with stable branch. it's not difficult like developers... i develop a bit in past...

a) develop a software that keep its library in its folders
b) develop an installer different from 12 (if it is like it not use same folder of it)
c) build a different database branch to use in parallels
d) try installer on a clean os (virtual machine allow you to do easy and faster for all os from a same machine)

guys you do a great work on Resolve 14, you need only a bit more to be better

Jeff Brass

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 10:07 pm

carlomacchiavello - if you don't want to be a beta tester, then dont download and try DR14. Wait for everyone else to try it, find issues, report back and get a stable release. No one has forced us to download DR14. Its clearly marked as beta.
I dont mean to be rude, I just dont understand the grumping about a beta version not working right straight away.

Richard B Emerson

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 11:40 pm

Jeff Brass wrote:carlomacchiavello - if you don't want to be a beta tester, then dont download and try DR14. Wait for everyone else to try it, find issues, report back and get a stable release. No one has forced us to download DR14. Its clearly marked as beta.
I dont mean to be rude, I just dont understand the grumping about a beta version not working right straight away.

Here 14 doesn't work, period. That's a rather serious problem. At least some people found a way to get 14 running. They're discussing how they did it. If that somehow bothers you, ignore the posts. No one forced you to read them.
After stumbling over the truth, he continued on as if nothing had happened.

carlomacchiavello

PostMon May 01, 2017 6:33 am

Jeff Brass wrote:carlomacchiavello - if you don't want to be a beta tester, then dont download and try DR14. Wait for everyone else to try it, find issues, report back and get a stable release. No one has forced us to download DR14. Its clearly marked as beta.

Jeff, i suggest how must be a beta software, i have quite experience about it, be cause from '95 i was beta tester for many softwares, i develop in c++,vb,java for 10 years, when i talk with a developer i have enought skill to talk same language. I not told them "your work is rubbish" i get them suggestion how to develop a correct beta.

In past beta software, that are shipped only to few and more skilled people to test are better builded and safer, today too often beta is too rought to go to public, and most of people waste not only their time but their work to install a beta.
a public beta mean that software is enought safe to install to most of Os, computer, and safe to not waste original database of stable branch, but you can install in parallel, also to check what work and what not...
if not they waste a good reputation of software

ricardo marty

PostMon May 01, 2017 11:11 pm

I had problems opening r14 on win 10 creator. I went to settings than to win update then to the problem solution. clicked "keep fix" now now problem opens great
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Jeff Brass

PostTue May 02, 2017 12:55 am

Richard B Emerson wrote:

Here 14 doesn't work, period. That's a rather serious problem. At least some people found a way to get 14 running. They're discussing how they did it. If that somehow bothers you, ignore the posts. No one forced you to read them.

I'm reading a lot of the posts, trying to find ways to get it to work. It didn't for me early on but have found enough to get it working really well on my win10 machine. I actually enjoy the problem solving.

Never did I complain about the posts - was merely pointing out that I don't understand why some are complaining, having a rant, getting pi##ed of with BMD because there are problems.

There are so many different computer configs these days that to me getting as many on board to problem solve is a good thing. Adobe don't do it, and to my way of thinking it leads to updates being pushed out that often don't suit those who use the software on a daily basis.

It also means that 1.5 years on of Lightroom having severe performance issues, adobe have yet to address it as they don't see a problem on their machines. If they listened, and worked with the hundred and hundreds of users having issues they may well get it working well again. Instead, their main competitor is reaping the benefits.

Things change, what we work on changes, and the way companies respond needs to change. I applaud BMD getting users on board at an early stage.

AndreiGuzun

PostTue May 02, 2017 8:06 am

Hi, I have an issue have with the beta Resolve 14, it is opening fine but after importing any video after a couple of seconds it will crash no matter of what video or previous projects that worked fine in v12.5.
I will try to install the v12.5 as the new version deleted all related to it except the projects, even if I have changed the directory for v14. :cry:

carlomacchiavello

PostTue May 02, 2017 8:13 am

Jeff Brass wrote:
Richard B Emerson wrote:

I'm reading a lot of the posts, trying to find ways to get it to work. It didn't for me early on but have found enough to get it working really well on my win10 machine. I actually enjoy the problem solving.

Never did I complain about the posts - was merely pointing out that I don't understand why some are complaining, having a rant, getting pi##ed of with BMD because there are problems.

There are so many different computer configs these days that to me getting as many on board to problem solve is a good thing. Adobe don't do it, and to my way of thinking it leads to updates being pushed out that often don't suit those who use the software on a daily basis.

It also means that 1.5 years on of Lightroom having severe performance issues, adobe have yet to address it as they don't see a problem on their machines. If they listened, and worked with the hundred and hundreds of users having issues they may well get it working well again. Instead, their main competitor is reaping the benefits.

Things change, what we work on changes, and the way companies respond needs to change. I applaud BMD getting users on board at an early stage.

Dear Jeff, unfortunately Adobe don't ear also their beta tester, i was ones of them... i sent crash report from computer, i sent bugs and solution (like ex developer often it's easy to analize a crash report, and often are for their blindness of different Os structure from Usa to Europe), but nothing...

think that under cs series they build different numbered library folder for different languages, but not sent to external developers this info, then most of plugin works on usa version and on other language crash or cannot be installed...

under After there is a bug that i sent at every single main build in the last 20 years, they are blind be cause too big, but worst thing, are not stable structure.... If you grab developers list of adobe software of last 10 years you can see everytimes different developers, this mean they don't allow developers to do their work fine.
BMD show us how rebuild from ashes software like Digital Fusion, i was users from df4, and leave it be cause developers lacks in many areas, BMD in since one year change all their target, and DF is reborn.
I like a lot BMD, i'm a fan of their work on cameras, on software, and mine is not a simple crumble, was a small suggestion to do better, i saw that i thought is a not good way of develop and i suggested a better way. I know need a bit more work, but with a public beta is necessary to keep good reputation that they have.

ps i love lightroom from first incarnation, but actually it's a pregnant elephant, try capture one, it's a nice alternative.

Jeff Brass

PostTue May 02, 2017 10:53 am

We switched to capture one 2 months ago.Best thing we could have done for the business. fast, reliable and fantastic color engine. Tried working with adobe....ha, big fail.

now...if BMD could add stills editing into resolve.......

carlomacchiavello

PostTue May 02, 2017 11:22 am

Jeff Brass wrote:now...if BMD could add stills editing into resolve.......

Quote :-D
i add my +1

sandro.antonucci

PostMon May 08, 2017 5:47 pm

I still haven't got what I have to do to make it work on Windows 10 if it crashed while at boot. Any tutorial?

carlomacchiavello

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 9:57 am

sandro.antonucci wrote:I still haven't got what I have to do to make it work on Windows 10 if it crashed while at boot. Any tutorial?

have you tried to remove 14 , install 12.5.5 then install 14 over?
have you check with win10 updater to have all new libraries?
do you share with us your configuration? the crash of resolve usually are related to missing libraries or simplier bad video card (kind of video card or driver issue).

Adam_Strange

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 4:35 pm

This solution didn't work for me, I even tried uninstalling 14 installing 12 and reinstalling 14 over it but didn't work still sticks on splash screen.
However if I leave it and make extra hot cuppa tea and comeback 20 mins later its loaded and works fine. Why?

Adam.
Davinci Resolve Studio 14.0.0b.037

Windows 10 x64 Pro Ver 1703
Intel I7 6 core 3.2 GHz.
NVIDIA GTX 970.
16 GB DDR3.
ASUS P6X58D-E MotherBoard.
500GB SSD.
2TB Hard Drive.
Blue ray Re-Writer.

Return to DaVinci Resolve