Playhead snapping

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Andreas Schwarz

Playhead snapping

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 6:55 am

Is there a possibillity, to add an option in the preset menue for turning off the playhead snapping. Its very unconvenient for a lot of editing work. Should be easy to integrate.. :)

Kraig Winterbottom

Re: Playhead snapping

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 7:12 am

I'm 100% with you on this. This literally stops me using it as an NLE.

Just to be clear for BMD staff:

You can move the cursor by clicking it in the actual timeline, not just at the top on the playhead bar. The problem is that if you have the playhead too close to a clip's handles and then try to grab the handle with your cursor, the playhead will automatically move to the handle / end of the clip.

Now in Premiere, say I want to trim 3 or 4 frames off the end of a clip, I will move my playhead to the desired frame, then with my mouse grab the clips handles and snap the handle to the playhead position.

Resolve makes this impossible because as soon as you grab the handle you playhead moves to where you just clicked.

I've reported this before and was told there would be a fix but that was just as v12 had been released.

Thanks!
Last edited by Kraig Winterbottom on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andreas Schwarz

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 7:42 am

...the best would be a right click option on the snapping icon, where you can turn it off an on...beside all the great features Resolve offers, this little thing makes the workflow very hard sometimes...

Kraig Winterbottom

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 8:09 am

Andreas Schwarz wrote:...the best would be a right click option on the snapping icon, where you can turn it off an on...beside all the great features Resolve offers, this little thing makes the workflow very hard sometimes...

I don't believe the issue is actually snapping as turning snapping off turns off playhead snapping too. I think it's more the fact that when you can move the cursor by clicking on the cursor in the timeline (rather than just the playhead bar at the top) so often if your playhead is too close to where you click it moves the playhead.

John Paines

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 1:00 pm

When the trim graphic overlaps the playhead, then the playhead will jump to the transition, which can be avoided by turning off snapping or zooming in enough so the trim graphics don't intersect the playhead.

However, there are trim shortcuts for cutting to the playhead which avoid this problem altogether and are much faster than using trim tools on the timeline. Position the playhead and then use Extend to, Ripple to or Roll to playhead, all of which can be assigned to shorcuts.

Kraig Winterbottom

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 2:07 am

John Paines wrote:When the trim graphic overlaps the playhead, then the playhead will jump to the transition, which can be avoided by turning off snapping or zooming in enough so the trim graphics don't intersect the playhead.

However, there are trim shortcuts for cutting to the playhead which avoid this problem altogether and are much faster than using trim tools on the timeline. Position the playhead and then use Extend to, Ripple to or Roll to playhead, all of which can be assigned to shortcuts.

I don't find it faster at all as that involves making a clip selection which is an extra step. It's faster if I have my left hand on the arrow keys and my right hand simply snapping handles to the playhead. I can edit lightning fast like this. Plus having to zoom in and out isn't something I should have to do to do a simple trim of a clip. Surely the best solution is for it to be fixed? Plus you are overlooking the fact that this doesn't just cause problems with trimming, it affects any actions which involve clicking with your mouse close to the playhead.

John Paines

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 3:04 am

I'm not defending the bug -- it obviously should be fixed -- but no clip selection is necessary for use of either the "extend" shortcut, or the cut/ripple/roll to playhead shorcuts.

The "extend" shortcuts eliminates the need to drag to the playhead (it's much easier/faster than dragging) and the various shortcuts to the playhead eliminate both the need to bring up the trim tool and to drag. You just position the playhead and invoke the shortcut, which you'll have to establish -- they aren't preassigned. Just note that these commands may affect other tracks if their auto-selectors are on.

But if this doesn't suit your workflow, so be it, each to his own.

Kraig Winterbottom

PostWed May 10, 2017 4:57 am

John Paines wrote:I'm not defending the bug -- it obviously should be fixed -- but no clip selection is necessary for use of either the "extend" shortcut, or the cut/ripple/roll to playhead shorcuts.

The "extend" shortcuts eliminates the need to drag to the playhead (it's much easier/faster than dragging) and the various shortcuts to the playhead eliminate both the need to bring up the trim tool and to drag. You just position the playhead and invoke the shortcut, which you'll have to establish -- they aren't preassigned. Just note that these commands may affect other tracks if their auto-selectors are on.

But if this doesn't suit your workflow, so be it, each to his own.

I get what you are saying but that doesn't really work for me when I'm trying to work fast and I have multiple tracks of video (which I often have when editing trailers as I use custom opacity curves which overlap slightly rather than using ******* dissolve transitions). Or if I have a couple video tracks then VFX track and overlays etc all on top of each other. It's so much fast to go "click, drag". It's literally one key-press (the mouse) and the slightest movement of the wrist (like I say I like to snap my handles to the playhead). If I'm working on something that just has a single track with sync or even a couple tracks (for b-roll) then yeah, I would generally move to the keys but for my bread and butter editing work, this works for me.

pariswharton

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 1:35 pm

Totally with you on this! Really slows down my process.

When getting into complex transitions or fast cutting, I like to scrub through slowly using the playhead. I can't do this because it keeps snapping to the clip edge. However, I don't want to turn snapping off because when I rearrange/reorder clips I need the snapping to be on :cry:

Premiere reserves snapping for clips and not for playhead. This is how I'd like it in Resolve :D

Luc Laflamme

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 6:11 pm

pariswharton wrote:I like to scrub through slowly using the playhead. I can't do this because it keeps snapping to the clip edge. However, I don't want to turn snapping off

I agree 100% with this ! I am trying to switch from Premiere to Resolve and this is a VERY VERY annoying behavior !

For the moment this is the very thing, and maybe the Deliver module (I still have some testing to do) that prevents me for making the move altogether from PPro the the Resolve platform for my video production company....

What I really would like to is the have an option to disable the playhead from snapping while scrubing.

It is ok for the clips, while you are moving them around, to snap to other clips - and to the playhead as well. But when you are moving the playhead itself we should be able to disable the snapping.

This might seem like a little detail , but trust me I'm sure that for quite a few of us this breaks the organic feeling we are use to having, and it becomes quite frustrating after a while ...

Please you guys it would be very nice if you could integrate this feature !

Sorry for my english and thanks in advance :-)
Cinematographer - Producer
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU
64 Gig Ram DDR4
GeForce GTX 3080 12GB
ROG PG279Q
Focusrite Scarlett
Running on Windows 11

khulnavirus

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 1:26 pm

Is there any option for that now? It is very disturbing :cry:

FScaldini

PostTue Apr 07, 2020 7:34 pm

Has this been solved? This is insane. People will have to toggle snap every 5 seconds if there is no way to have it on for clips and off for playhead.

DirectedByMarvin

PostTue Apr 07, 2020 9:39 pm

+1 on this.
Love the way how you can hold Shift in Premiere and enable temporary playhead snapping while snapping is turned off.
Davinci Resolve 18.6
Apple M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine // 64GB RAM //
Ultra Studio 4K Mini // LG CX55 OLED // ASUS ProArt 32UCX

yawningdog

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 12:48 pm

Hi

A possible solution to this problem is to keep snapping ON, but use the mouse scroll wheel to move the playhead.

This is done by hovering the mouse pointer over the <0> symbol that is to the left of the playback controls under the source and timeline monitors. See yer.

Teppopups

PostSat Dec 05, 2020 2:33 pm

+100500
Totally agree, this must be fixed!

Return to DaVinci Resolve