Resolve 14 BMD please keep dongle option

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

carlomacchiavello

Resolve 14 BMD please keep dongle option

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 6:59 pm

In a era where all people are connected all time; wifi no wire, continuos connection between everythings, please BlackmagicDesign remember that NOT ALL DO THAT, most of pro workstation are not connected to internet, and must not connected for security reason, to avoid problems, unwanted update and more...
i prefer to have a phisical dongle, to allow me to move license between workstations or notebook, without internet connection.
Sometimes i work in a place (set) where connection are not avaible, must not be avaible to avoid that someone send unwanted photos or news and more from set not controlled from Communication Service...
i not tell to avoid internet license, but only, like many other software house keep both of options.

Kel Philm

Re: Resolve 14 BMD please keep dongle option

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 9:37 pm

I'll 2nd that!

Marc Wielage

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 11:05 pm

My guess is that BMD could've either kept the $995 price as-is with a dongle, or dropped the price down to $299 without a dongle but locked to one computer. I think for the market they're trying to get, the lower price makes more sense.

I personally would rather stick to a dongle, but I understand why they're doing it this way.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 8:56 am

Marc Wielage wrote:My guess is that BMD could've either kept the $995 price as-is with a dongle, or dropped the price down to $299 without a dongle but locked to one computer. I think for the market they're trying to get, the lower price makes more sense.

I personally would rather stick to a dongle, but I understand why they're doing it this way.

mee too Marc, just i ask that they keep also dongle version, only to have more flexibility, i don't know if is like rainbow dongle (a common 3d dongle family) that is quite easy to add to software or they develope their own dongle, but dongle is quite simple to add on software (and quite simple to remove for hacker) like produce a simple file license scheme on net address or similar.

George E. Kennedy, Jr.

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 1:25 pm

I think it's rime to say goodbye to the dongle. I've last at least two luckily get it replaced. I travel a lot, and it's easy to forget it.

I think we will be okay for it in the end. BMD is innovating and this is part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gek, jr.

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 2:27 pm

George E. Kennedy, Jr. wrote:I think it's rime to say goodbye to the dongle. I've last at least two luckily get it replaced. I travel a lot, and it's easy to forget it.

I think we will be okay for it in the end. BMD is innovating and this is part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

George, i'm afraid for your dongles, but i use softwares (8 software) with dongle protection from 1992, and i never missed one, i never needed to replace one...
Innovation is not chance to change, innovation like bmd do, is addition like fairlight, and more... they are just on right way. you may not work on set where you have internet connetion and some tools give you problems be cause it need to register again license.
i'm tired to have problems about this kind of mentality (not you, i told about developers) that thought that you are ever connected... i do work on sets, wild places, many place where internet is not avaible, or computer easely stop to work for environmental problems, and a simple dongle allow us to move from one computer to another without deal with internet connection.
anyway i ask to keep dongle option, not to have only dongle option.
If you prefer or you like a license internet connected, hardware lan connected, i'm agree that there is another option to license it, for me the point is to not miss dongle.

Noel Sterrett

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 2:32 pm

I understand some might want to register rather than use a dongle. I don't understand why they would support taking the option away from others.

The hack of the Netflix series "Orange is the new Black" demonstrates clearly just one reason a dongle has great value for some of us.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

Simon Brown

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 2:34 pm

Noel Sterrett wrote:I understand some might want to register rather than use a dongle. I don't understand why they would support taking the option away from others.

The hack of the Netflix series "Orange is the new Black" demonstrates clearly just one reason a dongle has great value for some of us.

Could you expand on this? In what way is this demonstrated? How would a dongle have prevented it?

Jean Claude

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 3:02 pm

I admit that the dongle is safe in case of crash OS HDD.
It happened to me a long time ago with Media Composer (version with serial).
The time to have Marianna by mail to explain the situation, that Avid reset my serial, etc ... jetlag, etc ...
More than a day lost.
With the Dongle: not these worries. Whether it be a Sunday or a Christmas day
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Noel Sterrett

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 3:56 pm

Simon Brown wrote:Could you expand on this?
Nothing connected to the Internet is secure.
Admit One Pictures

Simon Brown

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 4:23 pm

Fair point, although I'm not certain it mitigates the risk all that much, given where the OITNB (and, apparently, other) episodes were swiped from.

rick.lang

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 4:27 pm

Other software I have used with a software license would limit the number of activations, such as 5, to take care of the situation where a grading house couldn't use the software on for example 10 workstations concurrently. If the dongles we have no longer work with release 14.0, it would seem that the license should apply to use of a laptop and a workstation. Depending upon how they implement this, it could apply to any machines a registered user has but only one machine at a time. Lots of speculation here, but we shall know more by the June/July implementation. My vote is that either method will work, a dongle when not connected to the internet is a great use case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Noel Sterrett

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 5:19 pm

It's not just the Internet that is not secure. It is a very complicated issue, and the following is just a brief slice:

I was preparing to sail from Newport to Bermuda and decided to update my navigation software. When the new version opened, the registration disappeared. I tried going back to the previous version. Same thing. When finally was able to contact the New Zealand company which supplied the software, I was told that because someone had cracked their software scheme they decided to change it -- without notice to legitimate users. Needless to say, I will never use their software again.

I could give countless other examples of hidden software copy protection schemes gone bad, starting in the early 80's with Lotus 123. In addition to deliberate or inadvertent problems, any company can simply stop doing business at any time. For similar reasons, I cannot imagine and will never put anything of value in the "cloud".

Another security issue is that of archiving media. The only way you can hope to be able to resurrect and redeliver digital projects is to store the software which created them along with the media. This is an issue which has been swept under the rug, but I can tell you from first hand experience that it will become important when the royalties stop.

I have worked on dozens of movies with tools far less capable than Resolve Studio 12.5. So while it would be a shame to jump ship and stop upgrading, I can just keep using 12.5. I don't have to give up my dongles, and I won't.

Frankly, I do not see why anyone is against my having a dongle choice. I don't care if anyone else wants to register, why should anyone want to make me?

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures

Steve Alexander

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 6:23 pm

From one of the NAB videos it was stated that you can keep on using a dongle if you've got one. Seems like they are moving in the direction of Avid with respect to the use of dongles.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Paul Provost

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 7:15 pm

I remember once I was flying my private jet to go skiing in St. Moritz and the latest version of iOS wasn't working with the local restaurant app and I couldn't find one with my favorite year of '82 Lafite Rothschild. Auto update... Never again!
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

Daniel Bănică

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 8:05 pm

When I have spoken with BMD in UK last week they told me that I will still be able to use the dongle when the 14th version will be released

Marc Wielage

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 10:03 pm

Paul Provost wrote:I remember once I was flying my private jet to go skiing in St. Moritz and the latest version of iOS wasn't working with the local restaurant app and I couldn't find one with my favorite year of '82 Lafite Rothschild. Auto update... Never again!

marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Dermot Shane

PostMon May 01, 2017 7:48 am

working in Shanghai, back when a MC licence was 60k, and DS licence was 240k.. one office assistant tried to copy a file onto a purple dongle, and found they all were broken, nothing could be copied to any of them, so they were thrown in the trash.... 6 x 60k + 1 x 240k = $600k in the trash bin...

we dug for them and retrived them all, tho a bit stinkier

carlomacchiavello

PostMon May 01, 2017 8:44 am

Dermot Shane wrote:working in Shanghai, back when a MC licence was 60k, and DS licence was 240k.. one office assistant tried to copy a file onto a purple dongle, and found they all were broken, nothing could be copied to any of them, so they were thrown in the trash.... 6 x 60k + 1 x 240k = $600k in the trash bin...

we dug for them and retrived them all, tho a bit stinkier

if any people of my office think to use a usb pen of someone other without ask, and if it (not him or her, it be cause cannot be intelligent form of life to think) trash any hardware will be fired immediately, not only for the risk to trash a important things, but also be cause every single item in the office is buyed from society, and must be discarded from society before you can destroy it... think that you have a usb pen hfs on a win computer, or pen cripted, and someone format it...

ps dongle must not be in visible position, but back to computer, protected, in a place where stupid people cannot break it when crash against it with chair, legs and more... too many people are too shallow with items of office or other people.

pps i dealed with people that thought that dongle are not seen from computer be cause is not well insert and break it in a esata port... instead to ask and reiceve the info that need driver to be recognized... :shock:

other people that thought that is too longer, try to truncate it with a shear, then call me at tech service to tell me that they need to replace it be cause now not work... :shock: :o

the real problem is not dongle or not, is to use common sense... :D

JPOwens

PostMon May 01, 2017 4:39 pm

Paul Provost wrote:I remember once I was flying my private jet to go skiing in St. Moritz and the latest version of iOS wasn't working with the local restaurant app and I couldn't find one with my favorite year of '82 Lafite Rothschild. Auto update... Never again!

And here I thought that I was the only one that that had ever happened to. I feel better now.

I'm sure Rudy Kurniawan could get you fixed up with an '82, though. No prob.

jPo, CSI

Return to DaVinci Resolve