Resolve 14 beta deleted my project!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Henk Schillema

Resolve 14 beta deleted my project!

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 11:40 am

I worked on a project I started in Resolve 12.5 in Resolve 14 when an error occurred. I clicked it away and was able to continue working. But when I wanted to save it I couldn't, so I saved it to a new #2 project. Soon after Resolve crashed my mac, but when I opened it again both projects were gone! I reinstalled 12.5.5 and I can see save #2 is still there, but I can't open it because it was made in 14. How do I get it back?

Henk Schillema

Re: Resolve 14 beta deleted my project!

PostMon May 01, 2017 5:24 pm

bump

Andreas Schwarz

PostTue May 02, 2017 5:45 am

...ALWAYS export your project / database to a second drive after every working session as a back up!

Christophe Deshoux

PostTue May 02, 2017 7:39 am

In any case this is not normal. Even for a Beta version ... a version too soon available? ...

Henk Schillema

PostTue May 02, 2017 9:05 am

Is there an error log somewhere? Can't seem to find it and Google isn't very helpful either.

A piece of software as volatile as this could really use an auto backup feature...

Henk Schillema

PostTue May 02, 2017 10:04 am

Ok so I found the error log and pinpointed the moment it wasn't able to save the project (12:52), but I can't seem to find the error that appeared before (the one I clicked away) or anything that triggered the deletion. Probably because of the crash. It would've been great if I could upload the .log file if only this forum allowed me to (what's the whole point of adding attachments if you can't attach .log files, which are kind of important for problem solving?), so I added a link: https://wetransfer.com/downloads/1d62b1 ... 250/552c83

Maybe a BMD dev could take a look at it.

Simon Brown

PostTue May 02, 2017 11:14 am

It's entirely normal for a beta version to have bugs. That's part of what makes it a beta version.

The cardinal rules apply:

Always back up anything important.
If losing it would be catastrophic, give serious consideration to backing it up again somewhere else.
Always back up before installing a new version of anything in case there's a problem.

and if you don't follow those three, at least follow this one:

Never use beta versions of software on any project you can't afford to lose.

Unfortunately, for many of us the lesson is hard-learned.

I use Arq to back up to the cloud; many pros have the budget for multiple external disks and use those for backups. Other options are available. I know this doesn't help with the OPs problem - without a backup to restore from, I don't know if the problem can be helped - but it's important, nay, essential in order to avoid getting into the problem in the first place.

Karolis Sipavicius

PostTue May 02, 2017 3:30 pm

I have the same problem, except that the project was started in 14 already and I am on Windows 10. Everything was going great until I got an error saving project with the name I was using before. I just added a number to the file name and it saved ok. Next save - same error. After again changing the number I quit resolve to restart my system. After I turned resolve on there was none of the project files, exept a folder with a project name and a 0 above (asume its for the files inside project folder). Any ideas how I can try to get my projects back if any??

In projects folder I see folder with original project name, which is empty, and one folder with added number from last save which has project.db file in it. Nothing else..
MacBook Pro M1 Pro 16GB 10 core
macOS Sonoma V14.0
Resolve Studio18.6

Return to DaVinci Resolve