14/12.5 Lost Databases

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

sammorganmoore

14/12.5 Lost Databases

PostMon May 01, 2017 5:51 pm

Im in a tangle!

Thought I would try 14.= Studio
Has to upgrade my MacOS

Loaded 14 and old databases show but were not compatible.

Went back to 12.5 and now the databases are not there.

While I do export and back up many DRP files I did not back up the databases and have lost a few hours work and some test grades. (not the end of the world)

Can anyone help get back up and running on 12.5 with my old databases.

I think they a PostSQL or suchlike?

Thanks

sammorganmoore

Re: 14/12.5 Lost Databases

PostMon May 01, 2017 6:09 pm

Ive also tried postgresql as in page 1008 of the manual but it seems there are no servers or suchlike.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon May 01, 2017 11:34 pm

What version of OSX were you running, and what version did you update to?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

sammorganmoore

PostTue May 02, 2017 6:55 am

Hi,

Before: I don't know - maybe 10.10 or 10.11?

Now. 10.12.4

Thank you

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue May 02, 2017 9:35 pm

If you read the Resolve installer Read Me section, when installing Resolve 12.5.3 or higher, it notes that Resolve has always used PostgreSQL 8.4, but that 8.4 is no longer supported in macOS Sierra. And that PostgreSQL 9.5 has to be used if you upgrade to Sierra. And that we provide a set of tools to allow your current PostgreSQL database to be migrated to 9.5 and to install 9.5. And that this MUST be run BEFORE you update to Sierra.

If you fail to do this upgrade process before updating to Sierra, that leaves you in a bad place. Or in your words, a tangle.

Do you have a current Resolve database backup file for your PostgreSQL database?
Dwaine Maggart

Alex Cameron

PostMon Jun 05, 2017 12:47 pm

I have experienced the same issue here.

When I first loaded up DaVinci Resolve 14 beta though I could see my old databases and was able to easily switch between them in the Project Manager.

Now none of my old databases show up and even when I attempt to connect them it comes up as "in use" so I can't work out why that is?

Very peculiar. Running Mac Sierra but have been for a while now and pretty sure the old databases were working in 12.5 with Sierra installed.

Any ideas on why this is the case?
Current system:
MacPro 2019
3.2GHz 16‑core Intel Xeon W processor
96GB (6x16GB) of DDR4 ECC memory
4TB SSD storage
Radeon Pro Vega II Duo with 2x32GB of HBM2 memory
External Storage: Lacie 12Big 48TB RAID via Thunderbolt3
Ventura 13.5 (Current OS)

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 05, 2017 11:10 pm

Disk or PostgreSQL databases?
Dwaine Maggart

Bill_Bleakley

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 5:33 am

Hi Dwaine,

I just upgraded from OSX Mavericks to Sierra and we've lost all of our Resolve projects.

We did run a Time Machine backup before the upgrade so we're hoping that the projects haven't been deleted. However we did not backup Resolve databases before the update.

What is the least risky approach to getting our Resolve back to how it was before we upgraded? Would downgrading the software back to Mavericks be a simple fix or will we still have the same problem.

Thank you,

Bill

Rick Steele

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 5:11 pm

Dwaine,

We're running Postgres 9.3.9 on a 10.10 mac server.

Do we need to update to Postgres 9.5?
Do we need to upgrade the server to Sierra as well?
Do we need to use your migration tool after (or before) making this transition?
Does your migration tool handle the update of Postgres itself?
Will older systems running Resolve 12.5 be able to see the new server config?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 7:04 pm

Note that for new first time Resolve installs, PostgreSQL is not installed by default starting with Resolve 12.0 and higher. If you select the Customize option on the installer (at the Installation Type step) and tick the PostgreSQL Server checkbox, Resolve version 12.5.2 and earlier will install PostgreSQL 8.4. Resolve version 12.5.3 and later will install PostgreSQL 9.5. If any version of PostgreSQL is already on the system, the Resolve installer will not do anything with PostgreSQL.

The primary reason any Resolve user needs to upgrade from our traditional PostgreSQL 8.4 version to 9.5, is if they intend to install macOS Sierra or higher.

If you are not planning to update to Sierra, and you have a working system, don't mess with it.

If you are planning to update to Sierra, then you should use our PostgreSQL database upgrade tools.

There are 3 tools.

One to backup the database.

One to update PostgreSQL from 8.4 to 9.5.

One to restore the backup done in the first tool, to the PostgreSQL 9.5 database installed by the second tool.

Resolve clients have a PostgreSQL client built in. So any Resolve system can CONNECT to a shared remote PostgreSQL database server, without having PostgreSQL installed on the client at all. The PostgreSQL version of the shared remote database server does not matter.

However, if you want the Resolve client to be able to backup and restore databases on the shared remote PostgreSQL database server, the Resolve client must be running the same PostgreSQL version locally as is running on the shared remote server.

If you attempt to do a PostgreSQL database backup from a local Resolve client, and it fails with a general and vague error message, that's likely because PostgreSQL is not installed and running at all on the local Resolve client, or it's not a compatible PostgreSQL version running on the client.

In your case, if your Resolve clients are running PostgreSQL 8.4, they won't be able to backup or restore databases from your 9.3.9 server. But they can CONNECT to the 9.3.9 databases.

If your clients were running PostgreSQL 9.5, that's close enough to 9.3.9 that I expect they could backup and restore databases on the 9.3.9 server.

If your clients aren't running PostgreSQL at all, they can CONNECT to your 9.3.9 server with no issues. Just no backup and restore of the remote databases.

I hope that answers your questions and that I haven't muddied the waters too much.
Dwaine Maggart

Russell Kilbey

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 4:50 am

hi Dwaine
I am trying to upgrade from 12.5.6 to resolve 14 but all my databases and projects disappear.
I get error message
Failed to upgrade database: Failed to apply patch DROP TABLE "BtAudioClipInfo_BtAudioTrackInfo"; to database {75b4b2af-d950-4a08-a365-075f93c2fd4d}: attempt to write a readonly database Unable to fetch row.
Can please you explain what this means and how I can get it working??
Thanks
Russell

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 1:23 am

When do you get that message?

When you launch Resolve 14, and select to see Databases on the Project Manager page, what, if anything do you see in the Disk and PostgreSQL areas?

I wouldn't expect you to get a Failed to upgrade database error message, unless you actually selected a database and then selected Upgrade.

Did you back up your 12.5 databases before installing Resolve 14?
Dwaine Maggart

Russell Kilbey

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 6:55 am

Hi Dwain
thanks for the help!
I see that message when I try and upgrade databases in 14.
Otherwise i don't see anything and can't get past the database window.
Should I uninstall 12.5 before I upgrade to 14.
I am just about to start a new big project so I'm not so fussed on having the old things just want to get started.
Any thoughts?
Cheers
Russell

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 5:10 pm

In that case, just create a new database.
Dwaine Maggart

Russell Kilbey

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 2:06 am

Thanks so much Dwain.
i am now up and running. Thanks for getting me out of that pickle.
Cheers
Russell Kilbey

zachnasits

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 6:58 pm

Dwain,

After reading this, it sounds like the challenge I am having when trying to connect to my a 'Database.resolve.backup' that was created prior to a HighSierra OS upgrade is due to not having the correct PostgreSQL running.

However, now that I have upgraded to HighSierrra & Davinci 14 Studio without upgrading the PostgreSQL, is there another way to recover or connect to projects that within the generated 'Database.resolve.backup.'

I appreciate your help.

Zach Nasits
Geomedia.com

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 7:29 pm

It doesn't really matter what version created it. The fact it was created at all, means PostgreSQL was running at that time.

What has likely happened, is that you have PostgreSQL 8.4 installed. That doesn't work under Sierra or higher.

To deal with that, ever since Resolve 12.5.3, we've included 3 apps to allow you to migrate PostgreSQL 8.4, and it's data, to PostgreSQL 9.5. But that has to be done BEFORE updating to Sierra or higher. If you don't do it before, you can't do it after the OS upgrade. As noted in the Release Notes area of every Resolve installer since 12.5.3.

If you don't care about the existing PostgreSQL data (i.e. Resolve projects in a PostgreSQL database), and since you have a backup, maybe you don't, you can remove PostgreSQL 8.4 and then do a clean install of PostgreSQL 9.5, using the Resolve installer, and then you can Restore your backup.

Just another warning before we go on:
IF YOU DO THE FOLLOWING, YOU WILL LOSE ALL POSTGRESQL BASED RESOLVE PROJECTS!!!

The following assumes you only have PostgreSQL 8.4 on your system. If you happen to somehow ALSO have PostgreSQL 9.5 installed (installed it manually maybe?) that requires a different process.

The following also assumes you don't have some other app on your system using a PostgreSQL database.

Trash the PostgreSQL 8.4 folder from the Mac Applications folder.

Trash the PostgreSQL folder from the /Library folder. (ALL YOUR EXISTING DATA WILL BE LOST!!!)

Open Mac Terminal and enter the following:

sudo dscl . delete /users/postgres<RETURN> (<RETURN> means to press the Return key) (This will ask for a password, which should be the systems Admin password)

Using a Resolve 12.5.3 or higher installer (free or Studio), run the installer:

At the Installation Type step of the installer, in the lower left area, select Customize.

In the upper Custom Install area, select the PostgreSQL Server checkbox.

Finish the installation.

Look in the Applications folder. If you see a PostgreSQL 9.5 folder, things went properly.

Verify that PostgreSQL is running by opening the Mac Utilities Activity Monitor.

In the Activity Monitor View menu, select All Processes.

Sort on the Process Name column and scroll down to the P's area.

If you see several postgres processes running (normally 6-8 or so) then PostgreSQL is running.

You should now be able to restore your .backup database.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve