Rich text for rolling titles

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Andreas Schwarz

Rich text for rolling titles

PostMon May 01, 2017 7:47 pm

Is there a chance, we will see rich text for rolling titles in Resolve 14? The options to layout text for rolling titles is very limited, and I have to switch to premiere 5.5 (!) to create rolling titles.

Mike Halper

Re: Rich text for rolling titles

PostMon May 01, 2017 10:02 pm

Agreed. The text, title, and credit capability of Resolve is severely lacking. I'm surprised that wasn't improved before adding audio features. It makes it difficult to choose Resolve as full editing application over the likes of Premiere Pro and FCPX which have vastly superior capabilities in this area.
IMac Pro Hackintosh, 10 core i9, 64GB RAM, Radeon VII, Decklink 4K Mini Monitor, macOS 10.14.5, DaVinci Resolve Studio license

acasonj

PostThu Feb 06, 2020 7:09 am

Still!

Can anyone suggest how we're supposed to include very basic text in video? I need text to wrap, be able to insert new lines, and preferably scale the font size based on a bounding box. This to me doesn't seem complex - I'm using a plugin called "textwrapping" but it's buggy and doesn't allow new lines in it's "rich text" input.

I can't believe something as simple as putting a paragraph of text on a page is so incredibly complex - I'm going to have to jump ship if I can't put text in my videos..
Builder / Creator
@JoshFromPerth
B.CompSci Ma. Networking

Igor Riđanović

PostThu Feb 06, 2020 7:39 am

Text+ in Fusion is pretty decent.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Jim Simon

PostThu Feb 06, 2020 10:51 pm

acasonj wrote:I need text to wrap

You'll have to manually use Enter.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Gary Hango

PostThu Feb 06, 2020 11:53 pm

Cue “The Typewriter” by Leroy Anderson
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

scopchanov

PostTue Feb 18, 2020 12:43 pm

According to the manual, this feature is already implemented.

In Chapter 40 under "Types of Title Generators", on page 797 it is stated, that

Scroll: (supports rich text) ...

then under "Shared Title Generator Parameters", on page 799:

Rich Text: A control group consisting of a text entry field and parameters that can be
used to style different parts of the text independently.
(the emphasis is mine)

However, I am not able to style the parts of the Scroll-text independently, as in "L Lower 3rd" for example.

Jayzteroid

PostWed Jun 02, 2021 2:57 pm

Davinci Resolve 17.2.1 build 12.
No rich text for scrolling.

Manual says on page 853 "Scroll: (supports rich text)", but in reality there is no Rich Text -section.
Formatting -> Drop Shadow.

It would be great if scrolling also had rich text support.

SwansongMedia

PostWed Jun 02, 2021 7:36 pm

You can apply character level formatting in a text node in Fusion:

Resolve Studio 17.1.1
CentOS 7.3
Asus Z87, Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz, 24 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (450.66, supports CUDA 11.0). Old system but runs Resolve remarkably well!

Keith Sanborn

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 7:52 am

This is an incredibly helpful video. I've been trying to figure this out for months!!! Thanks so much for posting this. I guess I need to go back to the manual:(

Using your insights, I figured out that you can create a fusion clip from a text+ title, open the text clip in the fusion page, use fusion to make use of the character level styling, then go back into the edit window and key frame a transformation. It would be nice if blackmagicdesign folded the character level styling into the edit page. Or even into the scrolling title filter. When I did go back to the manual for Resolve 17, I discovered that on page 875 and 876 it claims Rich Text support for all the text filters (except text+), including scrolling, both in the inspector window and the on-screen editor.

And, in fact, you can take a basic text and edit it to use different fonts, etc. BUT ONLY IF YOU MANAGE TO CLICK ON THE TEXT IN THE TIMELINE VIEWER. If you use the text window of the inspector, it doesn't work. Once you have managed to edit the fonts and emphases of your text, you can proceed to create a scrolling text using the transform settings.

Clearly the implementation of the Rich text feature, at least on the mac, is very buggy.

Ironically, the subtitle editor has the ability to use different fonts and emphases built in, but you can't add a transform filter to it.

Again thanks for that helpful tutorial.

Richard Dean

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 8:18 am

Thanks so much for this and the multi column video. Very easy workflow. Wish I had known about this earlier.

Return to DaVinci Resolve