4K files from FCP into Resolve, Black Bar issue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

EliotStephens

4K files from FCP into Resolve, Black Bar issue

PostTue May 02, 2017 8:21 pm

Hi,

I’m having a real problem with Final Cut and Da Vinci Resolve 12.5.

I’ve created a project in Final Cut Pro X which is in a 1080p timeline, and includes 4K footage, as well as some slow motion 1080p footage. I have created an XML file to then import into DaVinci Resolve. However, when I import the XML file into Resolve I get black bars all around the 4k files, but not the 1080 files. The 4k files have been lightly cropped in FCPX to ensure that the black bars are removed from them and they fit with the 1080 footage. Is this my problem? Am I simply unable to send cropped files into Resolve? or would I be best doing nothing to the 4k clips, then exporting them to grade in resolve, and then when they’re back in FCP then keyframe/crop them properly? Or is this totally wrong and you should be ok adding cropped/ken burns'd files into Resolve?? I'm pretty lost to be honest!

I’ve done loads of searching on this forum and watched several youtube tutorials but I cannot seem to totally get rid of the bars. I have changed them a little by finding the output blanking option in the ‘Timeline’ tab. However, changing this does not seem to change anything and I still have black bars on top, sides or both!

Any help would be amazing!

Thanks

Erik Wittbusch

Re: 4K files from FCP into Resolve, Black Bar issue

PostWed May 03, 2017 7:39 am

Lot's of problems with crops when going from FCPX to resolve.

You should try different settings in Resolve's conform scaling settings. This can work...

If not, remove all crops before exporting the XML.

EliotStephens

PostThu May 04, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi Erik,

Thanks for your response. I have messed with Resolve's conform scaling settings, and also then removed all crops in Final Cut before exporting. But still when I export the XML from resolve after grading it has bars even on the left and right side, not just top and bottom. any idea why this is?

Thanks again

EliotStephens

PostFri May 05, 2017 7:25 pm

Still having a big problem here if anyone can help :)

Chris Albert

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 8:53 pm

Same issue here...Blackmagic peeps? Help!

Return to DaVinci Resolve