Trim feature request

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Daniel Frome

Trim feature request

PostWed May 03, 2017 1:37 pm

Dear Blackmagic,

Resolve keeps getting better and better. I would like to address your one obvious shortcoming: Trim mode.

Avid, for all its faults, remains the gold standard in trim operations. I would like to see the trim behaviour mimic Media Composer more closely. I'm cognizant of the fact that you've probably had countless discussions on this matter and have opted not to put resources into such an idea (yet). I'd like to put my voice toward that discussion and let you know that I've tried Resolve 14 and loved it, with the caveat of these trim functions. As it stands right now, trim operations closely mimic a blend between Premiere and FCP -- which is probably adequate for a large portion of editors, but it isn't the best. I would like you to be the best in this category.

I assume you have enough Avid editors on your beta team to handle this. If not, let me know what you need: videos explaining key differences, a written document, etc. I'm willing to help clarify the issue if you are interested.

John Paines

Re: Trim feature request

PostWed May 03, 2017 2:02 pm

It might be more helpful if you just spelled out exactly what you want. As of 12, there's dynamic trimming with jkl and and a variety of short-cuts which make roll/ripple/non-ripple cuts to the playhead, in addition to the standard draggable trim tools. It's a bit of a jumble; I for one wish trim options were better integrated.

But more specific, why make them search?

Daniel Frome

Re: Trim feature request

PostWed May 03, 2017 2:14 pm

John Paines wrote:It might be more helpful if you just spelled out exactly what you want. As of 12, there's dynamic trimming with jkl and and a variety of short-cuts which make roll/ripple/non-ripple cuts to the playhead, in addition to the standard draggable trim tools. It's a bit of a jumble; I for one wish trim options were better integrated.

But more specific, why make them search?

Hi John, thanks for chiming in.

I did not want to seem too arrogant and immediately produce my "wish list" before learning if blackmagic was interested in more closely mimicking Media Composer in this regard. For all I know, they've decided against such measures. If they've reviewed this matter to death already, there's no point in me rambling on about it.

But, while you mention all their features: Yes, similar to Premiere and FCP, Resolve has the essentials functions of Media Composer's trim. The key difference is largely in the implementation of how these features are activated and how they can be controlled by the user. Such differences are very hard to explain in writing, which is why I offered to make a video comparison (but again, I did not want to spend several hours producing such a video without knowing if BM would find any utility in such an undertaking).

Return to DaVinci Resolve