Transform Chroma Keyed Footage

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jackreynolds

Transform Chroma Keyed Footage

PostWed May 03, 2017 5:30 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to chroma key in DR12.5. The keying looks good, and everything overlays properly. The composition is 1920x1080. I am trying to scale down the foreground image to place it inside a part of the scene. However, when I transform the foreground, the background crops down from the lack of green in the area. I'm not sure how to make this work, and playing around in Fusion a bit hasn't given me any solutions either. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Spencer_Meyer

Re: Transform Chroma Keyed Footage

PostWed May 03, 2017 6:23 pm

Can you post a screen shot of your color page and node tree?

Edit: To speed things up a bit, I think you can fix the problem by adding a mask/window to your Key. That seems to apply the transforms to the contents of the mask rather than the frame as a whole.
DaVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Jackreynolds

PostWed May 03, 2017 8:44 pm

Adding a mask has fixed it, thank you.

rfernandez2007

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 10:34 pm

Hi,
How are you?
I'm trying to do exactly the same thing, and I'm facing exactly the same problem.
I'm glad you found a solution, but … I'm probably at a much more basic skill level than you; so I don't quite understand the solution you found (or perhaps I just haven't been able to implement it right).

Would you be so kind to explain it with a bit more of detail? (as in where to use the mask, and what kind of mask to use)
I would really appreciate it !!

Thank you very much!!
Best regards
Ricardo

Jackreynolds

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 10:15 pm

Hello,

I am assuming you got the key to work, and now see a foreground and background. Once you have your key on the color page, you can go back to the edit page. On the edit page, under the Inspector, and transform it. Now, the key should not follow properly.

After that, just go back to the color page, and enter the masks menu (the circle with four dots on it), and just click on the linear, circle, polygon, curve, or whatever shape you need. That will add a mask, then you can move it on your footage in the viewer.

Let me know that this worked,
Jack

rfernandez2007

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 2:20 am

Hi Jack,

I worked perfectly !!
Thank you very much !!!

All the best
Ricardo

Return to DaVinci Resolve