Saving project

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ron Pestes

Saving project

PostMon May 08, 2017 6:11 pm

How can I save my project in the same file as the project media? This is easy in Premiere, why is it not intuitive in Resolve? I want to navigate to my media files and open the project from there. I should be able to click "save as" and tell it the file to save it to.
Gigabyte Aero 15 Laptop
GeForce GTX 1070 Max Q
I7-8750H
16G RAM
Win 10 Home

Igor Riđanović

Re: Saving project

PostTue May 09, 2017 1:07 am

Resolve projects are saved into a database. They are not saved as, in case of Premiere, into a single file.

The project database comes in two flavors. It can be setup as Disk Database in which case files are saved to a local directory. Alternately, it can be setup as PostgreSQL database. The PostgreSQL server may run on the local machine or another machine on the network.

Neither of these two approaches give user the functionality of co-locating the project file with the media files nor they allow the user to launch the project by double clicking a single project file.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Jim Simon

PostTue May 09, 2017 4:06 pm

If you right click on a project from the Home screen, you'll be able to save it out as an independent file on the hard drive.

But this is probably best used for backup and archiving, not for every day use. The system is set up for you to open the project from the Home screen.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Rick van den Berg

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 4:25 pm

i think this is one of the biggest reasons why im still editing in premiere. we use external HDD's to work on (which isn't for everyone the most ideal thing, but it works for us). I often switch computers and the premiere way of handling those saved files works perfect.

maybe its just something to get used to.. like a lot of things

Glenn Venghaus

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 5:04 pm

It just a matter of "think differently" to realise it is Premiere that is limited using single files compared to a database centric approach.
In a typical Resolve SQL database setup you have a centralised database, where you connect to from whatever workstation you work on. No need to worry about project files . You can even work with multiple people on the same project at the same time, provided you also have centralised shared storage.
Also as you have access to all other projects in the same database, you can easily share resources between projects with a simple drag and drop / copy /paste.
Clips/timelines/grading presets (stills in resolve terminology) etc etc.

When switching to a fundamentally different software , you should try to forget what you know and see if there are other way of working that where not possible till now , just because your current tools do not support such a workflow.

Also with databases (SQL) you have seriously more advanced backup and recovery option. I can for example roll back to any point in time in the past and get my projects in exactly the state they where at that time. But of course that requires an even more advanced setup. Just stating what is possible.

And as mentioned if you do want to share an individual project another way (eg via email/dropbox etc) you can export a .drp file and send that around.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Return to DaVinci Resolve