Closing a timeline...

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

alex adam

Closing a timeline...

PostWed May 17, 2017 2:17 am

Hi All,
This has come up before I think, I'm sure it's really simple, but the solution doesn't seem to be that intuitive.....
I have 12 timelines I have been working on, I want to hide 6 of them from the dropdown menus in the edit and deliver page. So how would you close or at least hide a timeline from Resolve's all seeing eye...?

Cheers,
Alex

Marc Wielage

Re: Closing a timeline...

PostWed May 17, 2017 8:01 am

It can't be done. One workaround: do a Save As, give the new project a different name, and actually delete the unused timelines. Or you could have one project with half the timelines, and another project with the other half of the timelines. But there's no way to temporarily "hide" them.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

John Paines

PostWed May 17, 2017 12:16 pm

For this reason the interface is crying out for tabbed timelines, either in addition to or instead of the drop-down menu, but no sign of it in the beta, either.

Trevor Asquerthian

PostWed May 17, 2017 1:03 pm

Please no to tabbed timelines - or at least offer the option to hide them. They are the greatest PITA in Premiere. Take up screen for no discernible purpose - by all means amend the dropdown

John Paines

PostWed May 17, 2017 1:16 pm

Oh, come on. You can close them, if you want. But at least the timelines in use for any given editing session can be kept open and quickly accessed.

Trevor Asquerthian

PostWed May 17, 2017 2:25 pm

Yes, usually quickly accessed by mistake in my experience. Maybe it's just me. Drop down list is much cleaner and clearer.

Although I do like to pancake timelines and I guess that might be tricky without tabs...

alex adam

PostWed May 17, 2017 11:17 pm

Thanks for the confirmation. Maybe a drop down list of open timelines (premiere style), effectively a tabbed program monitor, is the way to go?. It would be a shame to not be able to pancake timelines though, you could "gang" them together if need be...oh wait, isn't that the new comparison feature in V14!? At the risk of offending the Avid users out there, having a single timeline focus does seem very limiting, especially if you are under the age of 30!
cheers
Alex

Sam Steti

PostThu May 18, 2017 9:11 am

Hi there,

1st, I'd like to completely agree with John P. : of course, tabbed TLs are the only solution that can be suitable to everybody, it's obvious.
You want to access to a portion of clips on another TL ? You click on the next little tab you just opened before and the TL switches to this new one instantly. You want another ? open it on another tab; you don't need it ? close those you won't need anymore.
Tabs are just small and easy to switch to. Look at the old FCP7* manual page pic here : on the top left, you have this "master sequence" name of the timeline and you see that the grey bar on its right is ready to accept lots of other TLs tabs.
[*regardless to the fact anybody knows Premiere has always borrowed a lot (everything ?) from FCP7, this example is universal and can be found on any NLEs, just my own example here]
This could be easily implemented in Resolve and would be highly appreciated by editors.
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

John Paines

PostThu May 18, 2017 1:24 pm

I have a project where the timeline drop-down list extends beyond the length of the screen (you have to scroll beyond that point).

Granted, nobody would ever open that many timelines at once, but using that list to selectively load timelines is just plain unworkable. You'd need to go back to the Media Pool, where there's some organization, but it would be so much easier to open the needed timelines all at once in tabs from the media pool, and then never go back to either the Media Page or the drop-down list.

Joelarvidsson

PostFri Feb 07, 2020 12:23 pm

Is this fixed? How can you clean the dropdown list?
Resolve Studio 18.5, Studio driver 536.99
Supermicro 2 Intel Xeon E5-2687W 3.10GHz processors. 64GB ram. GTX 1080Ti GPU Samsung PM893 SSD for system, Intel ssd for cache. Windows 10 pro. Qnap gnap TS-1685 for media. 925MB/s & 1062MB/s

Jim Simon

PostFri Feb 07, 2020 2:57 pm

The only current option for a smaller list is fewer timelines.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve