Black Pillar Bars On New Imported Footage

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

briantrubshaw

Black Pillar Bars On New Imported Footage

PostThu May 18, 2017 1:51 pm

Hello,

New around here and haven't been using Davinci Resolve for more than a day yet but I seem to be getting on well with it :D

One issue however that I can't seem to get passed is that; all my footage has black pillar bars as soon as it gets dropped into the timeline. I know it's not the resolution of the footage because I've used it in other editing software no problem. I have no doubt it's a simple fix I just can't find the button that fixes it!

I have found that I can stretch out the footage to fit the screen with the transform tool bottom left of the programme monitor. I just want Resolve to do this automatically when footage get imported instead of making everything square?

I hope someone can help, sorry if I didn;t get all the terminology correct still learning! :)
Thanks in advance,
Brian.

JPOwens

Re: Black Pillar Bars On New Imported Footage

PostThu May 18, 2017 5:16 pm

briantrubshaw wrote: I just want Resolve to do this automatically when footage get imported instead of making everything square?

Check your project settings:

Image Scaling: Input Scaling Preset / Output Scaling Preset options.

Likely your original source footage does not match your timeline aspect ratio or size, or the monitor output is being re-scaled. There are about a dozen ways to screw this up.

jPo, CSI

briantrubshaw

Re: Black Pillar Bars On New Imported Footage

PostThu May 18, 2017 7:07 pm

Perfect thank you, I knew it would be straight forward, I just couldn't find it :D

Return to DaVinci Resolve