Audio Ducking

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Paul Lehmann

Audio Ducking

PostFri May 19, 2017 3:08 pm

hello,

i´m looking for a "Audio ducking function", which decrease all other Audio tracks automaticly. i select my voiceover Audio object and the volume decrease on all other Audio tracks, to a value I have fixed before, with a short fade in and fade out.

Is it possible in Davinci Resolve?

Thank You

Peter Cave

Re: Audio Ducking

PostSat May 20, 2017 5:24 am

You will probably need to setup a side-chain compressor if Resolve can do that kind of thing.
Resolve 14
Mac OSX 10.11.6
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
4 GHz Intel Core i7
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB

Marc Wielage

PostSat May 20, 2017 6:59 am

Waves has some plug-ins that will do this to a point, but to me, this is part of the job of a re-recording mixer: you do it manually and ride the fader with your fingers. You can theoretically route all the M&E tracks to one bus, then ride that bus (so to speak) while the narration plays.

Paul Draper

PostSat May 20, 2017 6:59 pm

Peter Cave wrote:You will probably need to setup a side-chain compressor if Resolve can do that kind of thing.

Correct, a VST compressor with side-chaining is the way this is done in all DAWs. i.e., usually via an instance of a compressor inserted on the audio track to be ducked (say Music), then this triggered via an aux send from the track doing the ducking (say, VO). Seems (?) that Resolve 14 has no way to do this as yet with Auxs which only route to audio busses, but not VST inputs. Speaking of which, VST3 support would be much preferred in terms of functionality over the current VST 2.4 support; that is a no longer developed format by Steinberg.

Paul Lehmann

PostThu May 25, 2017 1:14 pm

Very sad.

So a great program and so important functions are missing.

Thank you for your replys.

Return to DaVinci Resolve