Audio Ducking

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Paul Lehmann

Audio Ducking

PostFri May 19, 2017 3:08 pm

hello,

i´m looking for a "Audio ducking function", which decrease all other Audio tracks automaticly. i select my voiceover Audio object and the volume decrease on all other Audio tracks, to a value I have fixed before, with a short fade in and fade out.

Is it possible in Davinci Resolve?

Thank You

Peter Cave

Re: Audio Ducking

PostSat May 20, 2017 5:24 am

You will probably need to setup a side-chain compressor if Resolve can do that kind of thing.
Resolve 18.6.2 Mac OSX 13.6 Ventura
Mac Studio Max 32GB UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Marc Wielage

PostSat May 20, 2017 6:59 am

Waves has some plug-ins that will do this to a point, but to me, this is part of the job of a re-recording mixer: you do it manually and ride the fader with your fingers. You can theoretically route all the M&E tracks to one bus, then ride that bus (so to speak) while the narration plays.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Paul Draper

PostSat May 20, 2017 6:59 pm

Peter Cave wrote:You will probably need to setup a side-chain compressor if Resolve can do that kind of thing.

Correct, a VST compressor with side-chaining is the way this is done in all DAWs. i.e., usually via an instance of a compressor inserted on the audio track to be ducked (say Music), then this triggered via an aux send from the track doing the ducking (say, VO). Seems (?) that Resolve 14 has no way to do this as yet with Auxs which only route to audio busses, but not VST inputs. Speaking of which, VST3 support would be much preferred in terms of functionality over the current VST 2.4 support; that is a no longer developed format by Steinberg.

Paul Lehmann

PostThu May 25, 2017 1:14 pm

Very sad.

So a great program and so important functions are missing.

Thank you for your replys.

HJWolters

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 2:12 pm

Resolve Studio 15 (Beta). Is there an audio ducking now? Thanks for any answer, preferably postive. :)
Regards Hansi
i7-9700K,RAM 32GB,GTX1060/6GB(436.30),2 Display 4K,Win10/64 Pro,4xSSD,3xHDD,2x5TB eSATA, HP 470 G7,i7-10510U-32GB RAM,1TB-SSD,1TB HD,AMD530
DR18Studio,Lumix GH6,BMPCC4K, Ninja V+

Blog: http://www.hjw-hobbyfilm.de/davinci.htm

PaoloSanta

PostFri May 18, 2018 3:58 pm

any news about sidechain?!?!?!

Bryan Worsley

PostSat May 19, 2018 12:16 am

HJWolters wrote:Resolve Studio 15 (Beta). Is there an audio ducking now? Thanks for any answer, preferably postive. :)

Testing 15_b3, I don't see any 'Auto Audio Ducking' feature, but I see you have a manual method Hansi ;)

HJWolters

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 3:38 pm

Well, I have not found any other solution until Beta 5. So there is no automated audio ducking right? BM, please think about it.
Bryan, it would be an improvement if after setting the key markers in one go, the music would be lowered at all desired commentary points.
Regards Hansi
i7-9700K,RAM 32GB,GTX1060/6GB(436.30),2 Display 4K,Win10/64 Pro,4xSSD,3xHDD,2x5TB eSATA, HP 470 G7,i7-10510U-32GB RAM,1TB-SSD,1TB HD,AMD530
DR18Studio,Lumix GH6,BMPCC4K, Ninja V+

Blog: http://www.hjw-hobbyfilm.de/davinci.htm

OfficialYourDad

PostWed Jul 11, 2018 3:31 am

+1

This is a seriously needed feature. To be able to route the native compressor and VSTs to sidechain would be one of the last features I would need to make the leap to dumping my DAW for audio work and doing everything in Resolve.

Thanks!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 11, 2018 6:59 am

As I mentioned in other threads, we are working on this as have found some challenges with the first implementation.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

ExVegasPro

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 10:43 pm

How does the Sidechain under Dynamics work in fairlight? Some of the audio mixing tutorial seem to refer Audio Ducking as Sidechaining ("You can Sidechain to automatically reduce music during Voiceover"). I assumed Sidechain under Dynamics in Fairlight was for this purpose, though so far I have not figured out how it works or even what it is supposed to do.

LegacyStudio

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 6:30 pm

Just wanted to send a HUGE thank you to Black Magic Design. I would love to have Auto Ducking at some point in the future but in all seriousness... Davinci Resolve for free is mind boggling and wonderful in every form. I have been an Adobe Premiere user for over 10 years and I would swear by it. But after 1 day of trying Davinci, I have NEVER looked back. Its been about a month now and I suddenly find myself with a distaste for Premiere... Thank you for making this so affordable/ nay FREE for young professionals like me with big dreams, and I look forward to see what you offer in the future. Thank you for giving this to us for free and it will be an honor and a joy to brag about this to all my friends, family, and followers in the future. If you never see my dollar, you will always see my constant marketing dollar into your company. Go BLACK MAGIC DESIGN!

Bryan Worsley

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 2:37 am

Now there's a testimonial for the Product Page. :)

ExVegasPro

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 2:37 pm

The latest release 15.1 has Audio Ducking throgh Sidechain. Under Fairlight page --> Dynamics --> Compressor --> SideChain. The SideChain option now has 'Send' and 'Listen' options. You select 'Send' in Voice channel and 'Listen' for the background music channel..
Audio-Ducking-Sidechain.PNG
Audio-Ducking-Sidechain.PNG (11.91 KiB) Viewed 4115 times
. Yay !!

Paul Lehmann wrote:hello,

i´m looking for a "Audio ducking function", which decrease all other Audio tracks automaticly. i select my voiceover Audio object and the volume decrease on all other Audio tracks, to a value I have fixed before, with a short fade in and fade out.

Is it possible in Davinci Resolve?

Thank You

Return to DaVinci Resolve