linux hardware tipps plz!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

andi winter

linux hardware tipps plz!

PostTue May 23, 2017 12:53 pm

dear all!

i am thinking about switching from osx to linux. as it is possible right now without the advanced panel, i got myself a mini panel to have panel support in linux (and plug-off my beloved cooper eclipse).

for security reasons i want to leave my main-workstation alone and build a new linux machine. i would love to go the rackmount-route. and i want to have at least 2 working titanxp cards in there. at the moment in osx only one is working which drives me nuts...

do i really need to have the supermicro 7048GR-TR motherboard as it is mentioned in the linux-davinci-setup-guide? what do you linux-resolve-users use? is there any other motherboard recommended for cent-os? will i am be able to have thunderbolt?

i am also thinking aloud about 10 gigabit ethernet network-storage solutions, any clues on that?

if someone know some answer, please shade some light into my linux-hardware-darkness...

thanks in advance!!!! any tipps welcome!

Adam Archer

Re: linux hardware tipps plz!

PostWed May 24, 2017 12:32 am

andi winter wrote:dear all!

i am thinking about switching from osx to linux. as it is possible right now without the advanced panel, i got myself a mini panel to have panel support in linux (and plug-off my beloved cooper eclipse).

for security reasons i want to leave my main-workstation alone and build a new linux machine. i would love to go the rackmount-route. and i want to have at least 2 working titanxp cards in there. at the moment in osx only one is working which drives me nuts...

do i really need to have the supermicro 7048GR-TR motherboard as it is mentioned in the linux-davinci-setup-guide? what do you linux-resolve-users use? is there any other motherboard recommended for cent-os? will i am be able to have thunderbolt?

i am also thinking aloud about 10 gigabit ethernet network-storage solutions, any clues on that?

if someone know some answer, please shade some light into my linux-hardware-darkness...

thanks in advance!!!! any tipps welcome!

Hi Andi,

I'm close to 100% positive that other motherboards will work fine, that is the required setup for the Linux System with panels. As long as Centos plays nice with the Motherboard, you should be able to get Resolve to work on it.

Red Hat (which is the same as Centos) has a hardware compatability page here.
https://access.redhat.com/ecosystem/sea ... se%20Linux
Essentially though, if your system was built in the last couple of years it should work.

You may need to do a little bit of playing with Linux to get Resolve up and running though, so don't expect to be able to install Resolve and go. Also, I believe audio is only working out of a Decklink card so if you don't have one of those you are going to have issue.

Am making the same move to Linux in the near future, from OSX. Have previously used Linux on Pro systems for years and it is by far my favourite OS in terms of stability and performance for Pro use. I think you are making a good move.

Chip.Murphy

PostWed May 24, 2017 4:49 am

The Supermicro is amazing since it has a ton of PCIe slots. By the time you add in a two 16x GPUs and a 4x Decklink card to a standard i7 build, you're at 36 PCIe lanes. The i7-6850 only has 40 lanes. How do you fit an 8x 10G ethernet card in there?

Dual Xeon CPUs give you a ton of lanes and the SuperMicro can support it. Pricey yes, but it works great.

andi winter

PostWed May 24, 2017 8:44 am

thank you chip & adam!

good to know hat redhat and centos are nearly the same...
what i didn't know is the lane thing. how does this work?
if i want to use 4 graphics cards and 10gige i need
a double-cpu setup to work properly?
but what about those pci-express boxes some peiple
use in conjunction with their windows build?

and, is there any 10gige nas solution someone can
recommend?

thanks again!

Adam Archer

PostFri May 26, 2017 7:21 am

All depends on budget. I'd recommend 2x CPUs to feed 4x GPUs, but it depends on what sort of media you are working with. 2x Titan Xp or 1080TI should handle 4K. As long as you have a decent number of CPU cores (20+) you should be fine.

I'd highly recommend TrueNAS for an enterprise solution. If you're on a budget a FreeNAS mini is good. Synology is also another good budget solution.

I'd recommend Ideabox Computers to build your system if you live in Aus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to DaVinci Resolve