Clarification on purchasing Resolve Studio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Samuel VC

Clarification on purchasing Resolve Studio

PostWed May 24, 2017 3:14 pm

I'd like to purchase Resolve Studio now that the price has come down, but I can't find any solid info about a couple of things.

I know that if I buy now, I'll get a dongle for 12.5 and a free upgrade to 14. Is it correct that when 14 is released properly, the dongle will be done away with in place of serial numbers? Will dongle users be given a serial number as well?

Seems like it was previously the case that if you have a dongle, all future versions of Resolve are free. Will this continue after version 14? Does this apply if you purchase after the dongle is obsolete and only have a serial, or is it likely that the new price point reflects having to pay for new versions - and if so, will it be full-price each time or cheaper for existing users?

Thanks!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Clarification on purchasing Resolve Studio

PostThu May 25, 2017 5:39 am

If you buy 12.5 Studio now you will have a no charge upgrade to v14 and continue to use the dongle. We have not charged for upgrades since v8 and we don't currently plan next years update to have any cost even though Studio is now $299. It just cheaper now. Also, the dongle license versions of Resolve will have the same upgrade status in the future as the software key license versions once they are available at v14 release. You won't be forced to swap the dongle for a software key.

More details at released.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Samuel VC

PostThu May 25, 2017 9:50 am

Great, thank you, that put most of my concerns to rest.

I'll probably hold off until the software key system is in place then as I think that's a little more convenient, but good to know there's no real difference otherwise.

timbutt2

PostThu May 25, 2017 11:48 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:If you buy 12.5 Studio now you will have a no charge upgrade to v14 and continue to use the dongle. We have not charged for upgrades since v8 and we don't currently plan next years update to have any cost even though Studio is now $299. It just cheaper now. Also, the dongle license versions of Resolve will have the same upgrade status in the future as the software key license versions once they are available at v14 release. You won't be forced to swap the dongle for a software key.

More details at released.

Peter, I need to ask, will filling the registration form out every time we want to update the non-Studio version continue to happen? I seriously hate that every time I update the software on my laptop I have to fill that form out just to be able to download. Whereas, the Studio version I hit download and am done. So would love for it to be simpler for updating.

Also, will the Software Key allow for multiple computers (like two) to have access to the Studio version? This would be helpful for that above reason. I would have the software on my desktop computer and then also my laptop. Would love that freedom so that the same software is on both machines. Technically I have two dongles from my two BMD cameras so I could get two Registration Keys per Dongle if that was needed, but I would prefer a single Registration Key to allow for two machines to be licensed to run the software simultaneously.

Thank you for answering these questions.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 25, 2017 12:09 pm

You can activate the serial number on one machine at a time. You can de-activate from the activated machine if you want to move the activation to another machine.

The dongle continues to work as normal.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Luke_Sheldon

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 5:06 pm

Hi Rohit,

Is it an easy deactivation-activation process between machines?

Will it interfere with any projects I am working on?

And is there a limit on how many times I can do it?

Thanks,

John Steele

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 12:59 am

You can activate the software on two devices so you're covered for a desktop and laptop, if you want to do more then you'd need to de/re-activate.

John.

Return to DaVinci Resolve