Resolve 14 beta - driver install?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Øyvind Kaurstad

Resolve 14 beta - driver install?

PostWed May 24, 2017 4:00 pm

Hi,

I'm looking into trying DaVinci Resolve as my primary (and frankly first) serious video editor, and as a software developer myself, I always strive to keep my computer as decluttered as possible.

I therefore tried installing the Resolve 14 beta in a VM just to look at the installation process. While it installed without any real issues, it also wanted to install some drivers, but there was no information about what they are for. I suspect that it might be for some of the special Blackmagic hardware devices, but I don't (and never will) have any such hardware, and having unused drivers installed makes no sense. In real life not much harm either, but as mentioned, the less clutter the better.

So, my question is easy: If I'm right about the drivers not being necessary for users that don't have the special hardware controllers, could you please make the driver install optional? If for some reason you don't want to do that, is it OK to just skip the driver install when the popup appears (i.e pressing the "Dont Install"-button)? I did that, and the install seemed successful anyway.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve 14 beta - driver install?

PostWed May 24, 2017 6:23 pm

Resolve won't generally work in a VM. It requires direct access to the GPU, which most VM solutions do not allow.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Øyvind Kaurstad

PostWed May 24, 2017 6:42 pm

Yes, I know that. I wasn't planning on using it in the VM, I just wanted to check out the installation process.

The question was really about the drivers that it wants to install. If they aren't needed when you don't have the special hardware, why isn't the install optional? And is it OK to skip the install when it wants to install them?

Øyvind Kaurstad

PostThu May 25, 2017 11:30 pm

No additional comments to this? Are those drivers needed for users that has no special hardware/controls?
And if not, why can't the driver install just be optional?

Martin Schitter

PostFri May 26, 2017 11:12 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Resolve won't generally work in a VM. It requires direct access to the GPU, which most VM solutions do not allow.

resolve runs very reliable on linux virtualization hosts using qemu/kvm and nvida graphic card passtrough.

Øyvind Kaurstad wrote:I wasn't planning on using it in the VM, I just wanted to check out the installation process.

that's working as well. i use docker container instances to patch and install resolve and generating debian packages based on the actual used files for a more clean installation an final use. this also works like a charm. (...but it didn't figure out how to run resolve in this kind of [nvida-]docker containers)

and you are right, the resolve installer does install some stuff for the panel demon in a quite ugly way outside of /opt/resolve... but beside of this particular issue it just needs some unproblematic entries for USB setup in the system paths...

but in general i agree with you: hardware related drivers and the installation of the main application should be divided as much as possible to minimize installation/removal troubles and allow a save execution in various kinds of jail/container/sandbox/virtualization isolated environments.

that's all linux related. i don't know, if similar workarounds can be realized on the other operating systems as well.

Return to DaVinci Resolve