Export XML Only for Premiere

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jake Houston Harris

Export XML Only for Premiere

PostThu May 25, 2017 9:14 am

Hi everyone,

I've exported a very render-heavy job only to discover my XML's were dodgy (generic error) in Premiere due to the inclusion of retaining audio tracks in my Resolve timeline.

In Resolve, I've tried going back into the Edit tab and exporting an XML from there, only to discover it just wants to relink to the original media back in Premiere.

I've since deleted the audio in Resolve, but now need to generate a new XML so I don't have to (waste my life) re-exporting the job again. Surely I can just generate a new XML in Delivery? I really don't want to have to re-export the whole project just to generate a text file...
Last edited by Jake Houston Harris on Thu May 25, 2017 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) | 4 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 | AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB

Blackmagic Ultrastudio 3D | Avid Artist Color | Eizo ColorEdge CG246

zeehaenfilms.com

Marc Wielage

Re: Export XML Only for Premiere

PostThu May 25, 2017 9:19 am

You could just generate a new XML from the timeline on the Edit page of the version that has no audio track.

Note that FCPX uses a later version of XML that actually has more capabilities. I'm pretty sure even the latest version of Premiere is still using the older XML standard from FCP 7.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jake Houston Harris

PostThu May 25, 2017 9:26 am

Marc Wielage wrote:You could just generate a new XML from the timeline on the Edit page of the version that has no audio track.

Note that FCPX uses a later version of XML that actually has more capabilities. I'm pretty sure even the latest version of Premiere is still using the older XML standard from FCP 7.

Hi Marc,

Yes the problem is that the XML generated from the Edit page is referencing the source material and not the graded exports from Resolve; which also have 50 frame handles and unique filenames.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) | 4 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 | AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB

zeehaenfilms.com

Jake Houston Harris

PostThu May 25, 2017 9:57 am

Okay I just had a thought – does anyone know if it's possible in Premiere to select all my homeless, graded clips in the project and blanket change the in and out points on all of them so that it effectively shaves off the 50 frame handles on my clips?

As the clips are numbered, I should (hopefully) be able to drop them into a new sequence without having to generate a new XML at all...

zeehaenfilms.com

PETENAILER

PostWed Feb 26, 2020 5:26 pm

Hi,

I imagine your project has been done for a while now. But its a question I have been asking myself too. 'Cause sometimes Resolve does'nt export the XML.
So I tried exporting the same timeline as a Premiere XML but without checking the VIDEO. Exported it in the same folder as my clips and it worked!

Hope this can help someone someday.

xpert9001

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 7:52 pm

TECH SPECS
DaVinci Resolve 16.2.0.055
Mac Mojave 10.14.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

I am having issues with this as well.

My end goal is to get my rendered clips back into Resolve to grade without un-linking the original source media from the edits I cut in Resolve (I wanted to see how Resolved handled as an NLE, which isn't bad).

My plan was to send the graded project to Premiere to conform and back into Resolve, newly rendered clips attached.

All XML and EDL attempts to get from Resolve, with the rendered clips, on the timeline have failed. The timeline always populates with original source media, in both Premiere and Resolve.

I tried un-ticking the video check box on the deliver page to export an XML only however then the "Add to Render Queue" button greys out.

Best,
Greg S
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20200424-155159.zip
(218.28 KiB) Downloaded 70 times

xpert9001

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 8:46 pm

I solved my issue by going to the edit window, having the sequence I rendered my clips from open, and going to FILE > EXPORT AAF, XML > and choosing AAF Files (*.aaf).

Premiere read that correctly with the rendered media.

Return to DaVinci Resolve