Timeline scrolling during playback

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mal Owens

Timeline scrolling during playback

PostSat May 27, 2017 3:28 pm

Hi all,

I've scoured through the preferences, the manual, the forum and Google but can't find an answer to this question.

At the moment, during playback in the Edit page, I'm unable to scroll beyond where the playhead is visible.

Is it possible to move the timeline so I can view another section of it while the playhead is doing it's thing elsewhere? PremierePro has a few options built into the preferences and FCPX does it by default.

My apologies if this is an easy question. It's got me stumped.

Thank you!

Marc Wielage

Re: Timeline scrolling during playback

PostMon May 29, 2017 1:27 am

Shift-mouse scroll will move the timeline horizontally when you're in stop.

There is also a gray scroll bar located at the very bottom of the screen (right above the Media-Edit-Color-Deliver buttons), and you can just click-drag this to scroll the timeline either way... in stop.

But I don't think you can move the timeline while it's already playing back. My guess is that it would require too many system resources to pull that off. So this is a feature that isn't there at the moment. For me, it runs counter to the way I work, and I've never needed to do this in any editing or color or sound software I've used in the last 25 years. I just stop and scroll, but that's me.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve