Resolve 14 - retime to custom percentage?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Øyvind Kaurstad

Resolve 14 - retime to custom percentage?

PostSat May 27, 2017 10:17 pm

As a complete newbie to video editing and Resolve, I'm a bit frustrated that I can't just enter a percentage I want to alter the speed by when I use the retime feature. A drop-down list doesn't cut it, I'd like to enter the percentage I want. And I know you can drag the speed point to change the percentage, but when speeding up a short(ish) clip the percentage indicator disappears from the screen so you don't know the value it has.

To work around this I guess the clip could be split (instead of using speed points), and then the entire clip section could be sped up by changing it's speed (where you actually can enter the percentage).

Am I perhaps missing something obvious here?

Jeff Brass

Re: Resolve 14 - retime to custom percentage?

PostMon May 29, 2017 1:27 am

you mean like, right click on the clip, select Change clip speed, then type in the desired percentage?
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 5930k|64GB RAM |GTX 1080 8gb | Mini Monitor | DR Studio 16.2

Øyvind Kaurstad

PostMon May 29, 2017 8:30 am

No. I mean to enter the percentage when using the retime (Ctrl+R) feature. That's when you have speed points within one clip, and want to set the percentage of the section between those speed points.

But I just realized that my issue can be alleviated by zooming the timeline in on the area between the speed points, as that will then show the current percentage value (or unhide it again if you will). It would still be nice to have the ability to enter a percentage value instead of having to drag the speed point, though.

Pete Lightowler

PostMon May 29, 2017 8:34 am

Jeff Brass wrote:you mean like, right click on the clip, select Change clip speed, then type in the desired percentage?

Yes I would like that feature :)
Davinci Resolve Master Trainer

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostMon May 29, 2017 8:40 am

This is already there. Right click on a clip, and choose the "Change Clip Speed" option.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Øyvind Kaurstad

PostMon May 29, 2017 10:13 am

Rohit Gupta wrote:This is already there. Right click on a clip, and choose the "Change Clip Speed" option.

Yes, but for the retime feature you can't do that. Would it be possible to add that?

Kenny Whitman

PostSun Jun 04, 2017 12:08 pm

Øyvind Kaurstad wrote:
Rohit Gupta wrote:This is already there. Right click on a clip, and choose the "Change Clip Speed" option.

Yes, but for the retime feature you can't do that. Would it be possible to add that?

Would also really benefit from this feature.

Rondo.Lehner

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 3:45 pm

I had the same problem and just discovered that you can retime it to a custom percentage by dragging the handle with a roman 2. That way you can adjust it to whatever you like, 1556% in my example.
Attachments
DaVinci_Resolve_by_Blackmagic_Design_-_15_0.png
DaVinci_Resolve_by_Blackmagic_Design_-_15_0.png (94.33 KiB) Viewed 4786 times

dave4443

PostTue May 17, 2022 8:37 am

I'm just going to bump this because it would be great if we could do this in the retime as well, dragging isn't accurate at all and the limited choices is a limitation

Feynmanrenders

PostSat Jun 18, 2022 3:35 pm

+1 Yea custom values for retiming is very much needed....

Return to DaVinci Resolve