Install two versions?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Greg Rodgers

Install two versions?

PostSun May 28, 2017 1:37 am

Can I install and test both 14.3 beta versions of both Resolve and Resolve Studio on my computer? I would like to test the noise reduction features of Studio but don't want to lose my regular version as I am currently working on a project on that version. If the answer is yes, is it sufficient to place the Sudio version in different folder on the same SSD or will it remove components of my regular version?

Thanks,

Greg Rodgers

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Install two versions?

PostTue May 30, 2017 8:13 am

We don't recommend it. You should have just one version of Resolve installed at any one time
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Greg Rodgers

PostTue May 30, 2017 9:43 pm

Peter Chamberlain, I am not intending to keep two versions on my computer. But I want to test the noise reduction capability of the "Studio" version of Resolve as this capability is disabled on the "free" version. If the noise reduction is demonstrated on my computer to do what I need it to do, I will consider the purchase. Otherwise, I will stick with the free version. So what I need to know is not whether you recommend two installations but the following:

1. Is installation of both the free version of 14 beta and 14 Studio beta on the same computer possible?
2. If it is possible, how would I install the "14 Sudio beta" version on my computer where I have already installed the free version such that they can each work successfully for my test?

Thank you for your help.

Greg Rodgers

Denny Smith

PostTue May 30, 2017 10:22 pm

The only safe waym(on a Mac anyway) is to have two bootable partitions on your hard drive, and install one version of Resolve in partition and the other in the other partition.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to DaVinci Resolve