Izotope Plug-ins for Resolve.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Carmi Weinzweig

Izotope Plug-ins for Resolve.

PostMon May 29, 2017 4:58 am

Does anyone know if Resolve's Fairlight tab will support Izotope's plug ins?

Jack Swart

Re: Izotope Plug-ins for Resolve.

PostMon May 29, 2017 7:14 am

yes. I am running Iztope RX V5.
Apparently V6 is not yet certified for DR, but I'll download it when DR 14 is stable and try it.

I mainly use the vocal clean up modules and they work extremely well.
DR Studio 18.6.3 b19, OS 13.2.1
2023 Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 20 core CPU, 48 core GPU, 128 GB ram
BM 3G ultra studio, 12TB SSDs in raid 0, 16TB HDD backup, 56TB archive server.
Tangent Elements panel, TV logic XVW-245W

John Paines

PostMon May 29, 2017 12:21 pm

Izotope plugins are not certified for Resolve. RX6 plugins do work in both 12.5.5 and the betas, but not all features will be available and some settings may mute the audio. This was true of rx5 plugins as well.

James Spatz

PostMon May 29, 2017 1:56 pm

Is there a list of which VST plugins are certified? Thanks.

Marc Wielage

PostWed May 31, 2017 1:40 am

I gotta say, I use iZotope RX all the time (particularly with Pro Tools), but when I have anything complex, I usually just dump the file in the standalone iZotope app, do the work there, then export the file out of iZotope and bring it back into whatever program I'm using. To me, it's a lot more direct and "specific" in terms of getting what I need done.

One trick with iZotope is that you often have to use multiple processes, done in a specific order, in order to get the best results. You can't do it all in real-time, and some things just have to be done in layers, one at a time.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

John Paines

PostWed May 31, 2017 10:39 am

Marc Wielage wrote:One trick with iZotope is that you often have to use multiple processes, done in a specific order, in order to get the best results. You can't do it all in real-time, and some things just have to be done in layers, one at a time.

Which is a good occasion for repeating a feature request: the ability to drag and drop fx inside the Inspector, to reorder them. Now, to change the order you have to delete the fx(s) and start over.

Copy and paste of fx as set in the Inspector would also be grand.

You might be surprised how much real-time work can be achieved with the layered Iozotpe plugins on a fast i7 system. And with readier feedback than inside Izotope proper.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 1:31 am

John Paines wrote:You might be surprised how much real-time work can be achieved with the layered Iozotpe plugins on a fast i7 system. And with readier feedback than inside Izotope proper.

That's not been my experience, for the simple reason that I have to listen carefully to one stage of processing, then make a decision on what to do next and how hard (or how light) to hit it. It's particularly complicated if it involves de-verb, noise-reduction, de-crackle, de-click, and spectral repair, all of which I use frequently. Sometimes, I have to use different processes on different parts of the soundtrack, and none at all on others. It's something that requires a lot of thought -- it's not a "turn everything on and hit the button" kind of thing for me.

I concede that different people work differently. I've learned a lot by talking with the iZotope people and checking out their tutorials, which are often illuminating in terms of the order of operations and how to set different thresholds and levels within each process.

Cary Knoop

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 2:20 am

I use Izotope Ozone but it does not work (currently) with resolve beta 3.

Andreas Schwarz

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 5:45 am

...to consider before a purchase of a plug in is, that there might be more audio tools in Resolve in the future (for standard audio work)

Marc Wielage

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 5:57 am

Cary Knoop wrote:I use Izotope Ozone but it does not work (currently) with resolve beta 3.

I would bet they're looking into it. That's worth mentioning in the other threads concerning bugs in v14.

iZotope is a very, very interesting company and they make some terrific plug-ins. I don't think Ozone negates the need for a really good mixer to keep track of levels and balancing, but I could see where something like RX Loudness could work at least to make a mix legal for final delivery in a pinch. Still, I would always argue the need for an actual sound mixer if there's any way the project can afford one (which it should). I get that there are "no budget" projects where it's not possible.

PeterMoretti

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 7:26 am

Which version of RX are you guys using? Standard, Advanced or Post Production Suite 2?

Thanks so much!!
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Simon Brown

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 10:16 am

I use RX Standard, specifically the de-noise and de-click plugins. I also use Nectar (which I've gone back to in Resolve 14 because it's so much easier to work with than the built-in EQ and Dynamics processors).

Wouter Verwijlen

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 2:20 pm

I would love it if RX Connect could be made to work. That would make it a lot easier to quickly send the audio from a clip to RX for fixing specific issues.

Cary Knoop

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 9:22 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:Still, I would always argue the need for an actual sound mixer if there's any way the project can afford one (which it should). I get that there are "no budget" projects where it's not possible.

Absolutely true, sound mixing is a specialty job!

One of my favorite pop music sound mixes is New Frontier by Donal Fagen, you can literally hear each instrument in its own space, I think this soundmix is a master job and with only 80's technology that could not be done with some plugin:

rick.lang

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 3:42 am

I’ve used the RX De-Noise and De-Hum VST plugins primarily in Resolve 12.x, but in 14 the results when I’m in Edit are awful. Sound doesn’t kick in when it should at the start of each clip. Something needs work. Maybe in Deliver the results are fine, but not in Edit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Simon Brown

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 11:27 am

rick.lang wrote:I’ve used the RX De-Noise and De-Hum VST plugins primarily in Resolve 12.x, but in 14 the results when I’m in Edit are awful. Sound doesn’t kick in when it should at the start of each clip. Something needs work. Maybe in Deliver the results are fine, but not in Edit.

There's definitely a buffering problem. For example, if I am playing through my timeline in Edit and then stop and wind back the playhead using Frame Reverse, Resolve will step forward through the audio which was ahead of the playhead for about a second's worth and will then start stepping backwards through the audio (playing the additional second's worth in reverse).

While there's no Frame Reverse in the Fairlight tab, dragging the playhead back from the point it stopped will have the same effect.

Rick van den Berg

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 12:03 pm

anyone who has experience with both izotope and waves plugins? was just wondering around if i should get one of those. especially the mastering tools. heard good things about the waves plugins

John Paines

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 12:15 pm

There is pre-echo and/or delay, with some combination of the plugins, when playback is stopped and then restarted. Depends which plugins, and how many are being applied.

Latency issues in general are not unusual with processor intensive plugins. Whether these reflect performance deficiencies in Resolve is hard to say at this point.

As for sound not kicking in at the beginning of the clip, that can be true with no plugins at all. It's a long-standing issue, pre-14, corrected by restarting playback.

Simon Brown

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 12:47 pm

I don't think latency explains the issue I'm having.

rick.lang

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 3:54 am

So you think the sound will be fine in Deliver? Arrggh! I spent a good amount of time removing all RX plugins from my latest video thinking it just wasn’t working in Resolve 1! Next project I’ll use RX plugins and Deliver some output to verify it’s only an Edit issue.

Rick Lang

PeterMoretti

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 5:07 am

Rick van den Berg wrote:anyone who has experience with both izotope and waves plugins? was just wondering around if i should get one of those. especially the mastering tools. heard good things about the waves plugins

Can you explain a little more what you have in mind when you say mastering tools?
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

John Paines

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 12:46 pm

Latency and buffering issues aren't unrelated and no, the audio will *not* render correctly -- the same latency issues seen in real-time playback are evident in renders. If issues are noted during playback, don't expect any better on output.

Hope they can get to this one soon. It's been noted before.

rick.lang

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 8:40 pm

Thanks, John; so it was good I deleted the plugins as that corrected my delay on audio.

Rick Lang

Tilmann Rödiger

PostWed Nov 06, 2019 6:44 pm

Wouter Verwijlen wrote:I would love it if RX Connect could be made to work. That would make it a lot easier to quickly send the audio from a clip to RX for fixing specific issues.

+1 !

Return to DaVinci Resolve