NEF support in Resolve 14 Beta 3

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Sylvain Saucier

NEF support in Resolve 14 Beta 3

PostSat Jun 03, 2017 1:42 pm

Hello to all.

I am starting an artistic project shot using time lapses. I am using a Nikon D810 with 14bits raw compressed as source. Using the beta 3 of Resolve 14 on Linux centos 7 as the sole editor.

My first test of importing Nef files are pretty good, performance is adequate and all is well except for one thing: I cannot get Resolve to reveal details in highlights.

As a newcomer to Resolve I hope that I am overlooking a setting somewhere. And the highlight protection setting in the camera tab adds a bunch of pink to my highlights. Is there something I am doing wrong or is dynamic range not fully supported in nef files on Resolve.

Thank you for the great software, looking forward to buy studio 14 when it is ready and make kick ass art!

Using Alienware laptop with gtx1060 6go, i7 and 16go ram

Sylvain Saucier

Re: NEF support in Resolve 14 Beta 3

PostTue Jun 06, 2017 12:32 am

As I progress learning this wonderful tool, I can say with certitude that highlight recovery in the camera tab only recovers the red as shown in the parade scope. Additionally I was able to add a second node to desaturate the pink...

Is it safe to assume this is a bug and will be corrected in release of version 14? If not I will need a lot of extra work to convert my sources to 16bit tiff sequence.

Thank you!

Sylvain Saucier

Return to DaVinci Resolve