Recommended GPU for resolve 14

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Simon Gauthier

Recommended GPU for resolve 14

PostMon Jun 05, 2017 6:21 pm

Hi, I'm buidling a new PC and I am in need of some advice. I've seen everywhere that Resolve 14 is (or is going to) be optimized for much lower end graphics cards but I haven't been able to find some recommended specs. I've read you need as many cuda cores as possible, is this still the case? I'm planning to use this computer for both editing and grading.
I'm a student and my budget is pretty limited, I was thinking of buying the GTX 1060 6GB or the RX 480/580 8GB coupled with a ryzen 5 1600. I'm planning on getting a two-screen set-up, a decent 2560x1440 IPS and a ******* monitor for navigating the UI, do you think these GPU would be enough to edit and grade smoothly that way? If not, do you think it would be enough to work with a 1080p screen instead of a 1440p one? For now I'm solely working in 1080p anyway but I'm thinking it won't always be the case.

This brings up an other question by the way, for now I've only been working with resolve 12.5 with a 1080p timeline. Let's assume my school gives me access to a 4K camera in the near future, would I be able to grade in a satisfactory way by scaling down the preview to 1440 or 1080p and then exporting in 4K? And would this GPU handle it? I'm sorry if this sounds like a complete beginner question but I've never worked with 4k before.

Now a final question: if the 1060 is not good enough, should I wait for the new AMD vega coming out in July or should I commit right now to a 1070 (I'm kind of in a hurry but I may be able to wait if it's definitely worth it: I might be able to stretch my budget and commit 400€ to a graphics card but it would be pretty unreasonable)

Thanks in advance.

Return to DaVinci Resolve