DaVinci Resolve 14b3 closes when I press Media tab

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Roy Salvesen

DaVinci Resolve 14b3 closes when I press Media tab

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 4:13 pm

I have been running DR 12.5 steadily for a long time, and wanted to try the 14 beta, mainly because of fairlight, but also for increased speed performance.
I have tried all 3 beta versions, it installs ok, but when i press the media tab or try to load a 12.5 project containing media, it closes.

Hardware should be more than adequate:
Intel I7 -4790K 4ghz
16gb ram
Nvidid Gt730 2gb graphicscard
Win7 ultimate 64bit

I have tired cleaning all traces of DR incl program data. same thing.
Tried theinstall on 2 separate Intel I5 computer with 8gb ram, no problem

I am running DisplayFusion for dual monitor control, could this be an issue?
It has not been any problem on DR12.5

Could not find any info on similar issues online

Best reg
Cory

Roy Salvesen

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14b3 closes when I press Media tab

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 7:47 pm

So I tried DV 14beta4.
This version crash when trying to open a new project.
BUT, If I change the Video I/O and GPU settings to OpenCL instead of CUDA in 12.5 before upgrading, all the features seem to work, but the playback is Horrific.

It studders waaay to much.

I checked the Nvidia site for the GT730, and it says all 700 series cards have CUDA Compute Capability 3.5 support, so it should work.

I have the latest drivers installed

Its too bad if I need to upgrade the GPU to be able to run Davinci Resolve 14, as I am starting to like it, but just might have to go back to Power Director if this is not something that might get fixed in the final version, and means new GPU

Anyone?

Best reg
Roy

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 3:46 am

Hi, your GPU is under powered for the operations you are attempting. With just 384 CUDA cores it has a fraction of the GTX1080 at 2560 cores so I think you will need to consider a more powerful GPU.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Roy Salvesen

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 8:56 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Hi, your GPU is under powered for the operations you are attempting. With just 384 CUDA cores it has a fraction of the GTX1080 at 2560 cores so I think you will need to consider a more powerful GPU.

Thanx for the feedback Peter.

Unfortunately, I might give up on DR. I really liked 12.5, but looked forward to Fairlight integration to do voice overs in 14, and the increased speed announced.

I dont want to spend a 1000usd for a GTX1080.
Now it just becomes to much of a hazzle. First having to convert all the files from AVCH to DNxHD, to edit than having to upgrade hardware......BUT the color correction part is awsome.

Good luck on future development of the NLE, I am sure you have already nailed it, and it will be an even greater success

Have a great day

Br
R

Return to DaVinci Resolve