Mute Source audio?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Brian Waingrow

Mute Source audio?

PostSat Jun 17, 2017 9:24 pm

I recently started learning Resolve 14 and am in the process of transitioning from Avid Media Composer which I used almost from its inception. I'm cutting a new project on Resolve Studio 14 and I'm trying to figure a way to either mute or reduce the source audio levels.

Some pf the B-roll clips have unusable audio and need to be muted, others need their audio reduced so I don't have the bring down the levels every time I drop a clip into the timeline.

Is there a way to control the audio of a source clip? My apologies in advance if this is a really basic question. While I've been editing on Avid for years, I'm new to resolve.
Many Thanks,

Brian

Brian Waingrow

Re: Mute Source audio?

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 8:04 pm

OK, so I figured it out. I figured out how to mute the source audio but not how to change the source audio levels like in Avid Media Composer.

In the Media Pool, select the clip or group of clips and right click to bring up the context menu. Choose "Clip Attributes" Select the audio tab and from the drop down menu select "mute" for the desired audio channels. That will shut off the unwanted audio until you turn it back on. There is probably a better way to do it but I wasn't able to find it.

If anyone else has some input on this issue I would sure love to hear it. I'm still in the process of moving from Media Composer to Resolve, so there's a pretty steep learning curve for me at this point.

Have a great week.
Many Thanks,

Brian

infocus_jc

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 12:02 am

Hi,

I'm also new to Resolve, coming from FCPX, and I'm looking for a simple way to mute/unmute an audio channel when I preview clips in the media page, or in the edit page. I often have lavalier on track 1 and the camera mic on track 2, and I don't want to hear the camera mic when previewing interviews.

I could do this in one click on other softwares (disable the preview of audio track 1 or 2), but the only way I found in Resolve involves mutiple clicks and a much much longer process (as stated by Brian). Am I missing something ?

Thanks

Reginald

PostMon Jun 24, 2019 3:08 pm

Hi guys,

Did this ever get resolved? (ahem, excuse the pun . . .) I'm struggling with finding a way to reduce over recorded source clip volume without dropping it into a timeline. Is there a clip mixer for source footage ?

Cheers,

Reg

Hughes

PostThu Jul 18, 2019 9:53 pm

I'm using Resolve 16 and just muted the audio source in the Clip Attribute menu, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything - the audio still plays in the preview window.

Hughes

PostSat Jul 20, 2019 6:46 pm

Update: it seems that muting audio source in the "clip attribute" window doesn't work on a sub clip, but it does work on the main/source clip.

stables

PostSun Sep 15, 2019 10:58 am

I too am struggling to learn Resolve after twenty odd years with Premiere.

After a deal of fruitless casting around ( I find the on-line help is of little use - it tells you what can be, rather than how to do it ), by chance, I found the following:

Select the clips in the timeline that you wish to mute.
Select Clip Attributes from the drop-down menu.
In the drop down menu which appears now, in Source Channel, select Mute (X2 for stereo).

RobStowell

PostMon Aug 31, 2020 12:46 am

Please for 17, can we have an option to mute preview audio in the timeline edit pages? Even better, to select which channel or both to mute, and keyboard shortcuts? Often clips will have eg horrible wind noise (or in the current case, volcano sounds.) Every preview blasts my ears off, and turning speaker volume up and down each time is slow and painful. One of those small things that has big consequences :)

Jim Simon

PostMon Aug 31, 2020 3:18 pm

RobStowell wrote:Please for 17, can we have...

There is a separate forum for Feature Requests.

viewforum.php?f=33

Best practice is to search first, to see if someone already asked. If not, post one idea per thread with a very brief description of the idea in the thread's title.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve