Strange Color Shift Between Projects

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jon King

Strange Color Shift Between Projects

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 1:38 pm

Hello,

I'm somewhat new to using Resolve seriously and completely new to posting on this forum :) So please pardon the neophyte nature of this.

On a recent music video, I decided to attempt to edit and grade the project completely in Resolve. I'm using Resolve Studio 14 (Beta 4) and am witnessing some VERY strange behavior. The main problem I'm having is that If I attempt to apply a power grade (Literally to the same clip in the gallery shot), I'm getting a very different outcome. I also made sure the timeline grade matched in both projects.

I had to create a new project, because for some reason if I import the XML from a portion of the project that was cut in Premiere to my master project, Resolve can't find most of the clips. I created a new project and everything imported just as expected. I'm attaching a screenshot to hopefully illustrate the phenomenon.

Thanks in advance!

Jon
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 8.35.21 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 8.35.21 AM.jpg (769.61 KiB) Viewed 809 times

Simon Rabeder

Re: Strange Color Shift Between Projects

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 4:34 pm

Did you use the same color science? Did you try copying all your projects setting to your new project?

Marc Wielage

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 1:13 am

I don't have an explanation as to why the color isn't coming through, but my general observation is: don't change software versions in the middle of a project. (And that goes for edit software, VFX software, audio software, and color software.)

There's some workarounds you can do:

1) from within Resolve 12.5, bring up the original project and export an XML of the edited timelin
2) grab stills from every single shot
3) export all the stills as DPX (still) and DRX (grade)
4) shut down Resolve. Reboot and relaunch Resolve 14.
5) bring in the XML and rebuild the timeline from scratch, and let it link to all the necessary files.
6) import all the stills into the Gallery.
7) one shot at a time, copy over all the grades from the Gallery grades.

It's extremely rare I've ever had to do this -- generally, the worst you'd have to do is just do a ColorTrace on the session and copy over all the grades very quickly -- but this "brute force" method will work in cases where the session is corrupted.

If all the grades are coming over except the one shot, then check to make sure the number of nodes is identical and nothing is missing or corrupted. Try copying from the still. If that doesn't work... match it by hand and move on.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jon King

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 1:16 pm

Color sciences do all match. I suppose I should chalk this up to some sort of beta type issue. Point well taken about never upgrading mid-project ;) I ended up just scrapping the work I had already done and starting over, at this point I just had to meet my delivery deadlines. Thanks for the help!

Dmytro Shijan

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 7:07 pm

It seems a Resolve 14 beta bug. I noticed same problem when import saved power grade to the project.
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Return to DaVinci Resolve