Re-Order the Timelines

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dave Dugdale

Re-Order the Timelines

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 5:36 pm

Is there a way to order the timelines within Resolve (Edit page above 2nd viewer) so they are in order of number and not the order in which I created them?
Dave Dugdale
Learningvideo.com

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Re-Order the Timelines

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 8:05 pm

I asked few times...

we need alphaBloodyBetical order in all lists (looking at the matte menu as well)

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Seth Goldin

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 8:35 pm

https://www.sethgoldin.com

John Paines

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 9:34 pm

Agreed that lists should default to alphabetical organization, but that Hurkman fix is worse than useless on complex projects.

Projects with lots of timelines invariably demand a timeline organizing principle more extensive than the alphabet or a single bin. Defeating that organization so you can get an alphabetical listing on the drop-down is a shot to the foot. Or both feet.

The traditional way, with timelines listed only in the media page/browser, but which remain current in tabs once opened, still seems to be the best approach. That drop-down menu wouldn't be necessary, if multiple timeiines could be kept open and accessible, without having to go look for them every time.

Dave Dugdale

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 6:26 pm

Thanks guys for the help.
Dave Dugdale
Learningvideo.com

PeterMoretti

PostTue Nov 07, 2017 10:11 pm

The current way the list works is almost unusable for the project I'm working on.
Attachments
DVRTLList.jpg
Would be Nice to Delete, Clear, Reorganize this List
DVRTLList.jpg (563.28 KiB) Viewed 5417 times
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Marc Wielage

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 7:20 am

PeterMoretti wrote:The current way the list works is almost unusable for the project I'm working on.

I think the answer here is that you have to change your working philosophy in order to adapt to the software, rather than trying to force the software to work according to your philosophy.

My method is to break a project down to multiple session files, each with a limited number of timelines. Even with very, very complicated jobs, I can't recall ever going over (say) 40 timelines. And even then, I would bet not even 10 of them wind up in the final.

As sessions get approved and finalized, I generally will create a new project called FINAL (or something like it), and even break that apart to FINAL TEXTLESS or FINAL HD or FINAL 4K. This works for me, but I concede there's lots of ways to tackle it. None of them would require having dozens of timelines in a single project.

The three reasons I try to avoid lots and lots of timelines in one project:

1) it's clumsy to find where they are and which is the one I really need (particularly when many changes are happening)

2) the computer slows down quite a bit when you load in lots of media and lots of timelines, particularly with complex node structures (at least on my hardware)

3) logistically, I can jump around a lot faster to one session with 6 or 7 current timelines than to have to juggle 20 or 25 timelines. To me, it's all about speed and avoiding confusion.

Having said all that: I totally agree that I would prefer for the timelines to auto-sort in Alphabetical order and not in Creation order. At worst, make it a pref or make the timelines sortable in the Timeline window.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jeff Brass

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 8:53 am

I'd like to see it go a step further then just a alphabetical sort. What about folders, or bins - so Timelines relating to a particular section of the work can be grouped together or all of the interview TL's can be grouped together etc.

would help to keep the drop-down list shorter and tidier
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 5930k|64GB RAM |GTX 1080 8gb | Mini Monitor | DR Studio 16.2

PeterMoretti

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 10:05 am

Jeff, if you enable use of the Timelines bin you can do pretty much just that.

Marc, I have to say that while an alphabetical listing would be a nice option, I **really** like having the list in creation order. That lets me know the last few timelines I was working on. And there are times when I need that info.

And I do very much appreciate you sharing your approach, and ***a lot*** of times they are ***very*** informative and useful. But reading your post carefully, I don't think I made it clear that those are editing timelines; there is no grading on them. They are essentially pointers to media files.

The project is a documentary about a volunteer organization with a 25 year history and 15 chapters. Each chapter gets at least one timeline. And then there are certain combined elements like titles with backgrounds and maps with labels that each get their own timeline so they can be easily recut into multiple locations of the program.

And there is the periodic saving off of versions of each timeline, so you can easily see how the number skyrockets. Through out one day, I may save off old versions of a timeline ten times. In five days, that means fifty timelines.

Almost everyone working on this project comes from a Media Composer background, so I'm not in a position to tell them to reorganize their editing workflow. (One person comes from Premiere and its timeline management features are the most flexible of all the NLE's.)
Last edited by PeterMoretti on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Glenn Venghaus

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 1:26 pm

Be carefull with using the innocent looking timeline bin.
It disables the posibility to switch your project into colaboration mode in the future. Found out the hard way. Its hidden in the manual but far from obvious.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

PeterMoretti

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 2:28 pm

It must be really hidden, lol. I just did a search in the manual on Timelines Bin and didn't see anything about this.

Glenn Venghaus

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 3:05 pm

It falls into the category changing project framerate, which only after the fact you find out , you start bashing in your head.
My way out was exporting all timelines as an xml and importing in anoter project without that damned timeline bin. Then i could enable colaboration. It was only edited and not graded so not that bad, but it did raise my bloodpressure.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Jeff Brass

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 9:49 pm

[quote="PeterMoretti"]Jeff, if you enable use of the Timelines bin you can do pretty much just that.

Thanks Peter. Yeah, works ok for the edit side of things but once into the color tab you are still left with a very long list of individual TL's with no sorting ability. I'd like that to include the bins so I can easily go to "interviews" then "person C" or whatever.

Currently editing and grading a doco with 26 interviews, shot by 4 different production companies, a vast array of B Roll etc etc. At the end there will be the doco plus a bunch of stand alone pieces of many of the interviews, hence grading those on seperate TL's - and hence the PITA of the drop down TL menu in color tab still just showing an unsorted long list of TL's

And while I'm not planning on using the colaboration mode for the moment, the idea that TL bin locks that out is a concern.

I am the first to admit though that my workflow could do with a good amount of tweaking :lol: so no doubt I could make it all a bit easier on myself.
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 5930k|64GB RAM |GTX 1080 8gb | Mini Monitor | DR Studio 16.2

Marc Wielage

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 3:15 am

PeterMoretti wrote:The project is a documentary about a volunteer organization with a 25 year history and 15 chapters. Each chapter gets at least one timeline. And then there are certain combined elements like titles with backgrounds and maps with labels that each get their own timeline so they can be easily recut into multiple locations of the program.

Editing is a whole different thing, but the slowdown with multiple complex timelines is still a very real problem.

Two additional things that might help you:

1) Dynamic Project Switching would allow you to keep multiple projects open temporarily and just "park" timelines there when necessary.

2) You can always Nest timelines for a final output, or when you need to render or view multiple timelines together.

If it were me editing (say) a feature, I would just have one entire scene per timeline in the initial cutting, and gradually build up reels so that I could figure out the transitions between scenes. A lot of this boils down to organizational methods, so it's more a philosophical thing than a feature thing per se.

There's very little that's harder to cut than a really involved documentary with hundreds and hundreds of hours of footage. That's a tough challenge for any editing system, and there are pros and cons for everything out there.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 3:34 am

Timeline list sorting aside.. seems like a lot of these could be made as compound clips as they are not really timelines, nor even reels. This is a different workflow for some i know but worth considering.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Sam Steti

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 9:40 am

Hey,
A word to say I totally agree with Marc's way of working : I also try not to have dozens of timelines in one project, but preferably several projects (like pre.final, before.sfx etc etc). It allows (imho) to jump quicker from one TL to another and prevents from exporting extra huge DRPs at the end of the day (+ if you have a problem, it's only on one part).
Therefore I think it's also a sort of careful behavior to me...
But yes, it also forces to super use dynamic project switching some times, and alphabetical order should be everywhere anyway, philosophically speaking...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

David Clarke

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 9:51 am

I decided to switch a project with multiple timelines to timelines with compound clips. It made my list easier to use and worked fine except I now seem get quite a few crashes when I go into the compound clip and start doing roller trims on some clips. It does not always happen and seems to happen more on a compound clip with about 5 tracks rather than 1 or 2. It does not happen if I nest the timelines.

I am using Resolve 14.1 Studio on a Windows 10 PC

waltervolpatto

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 2:42 pm

Peter, the project you saw in my machine, has a trailer with 27 languages, each with a different card, each language has two version of the card and two sub category: almost 120 timelines.

At least allow the folder structure and alphabetical order to be there.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

Eugene Afanasiev

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 1:31 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
PeterMoretti wrote:The current way the list works is almost unusable for the project I'm working on.

I think the answer here is that you have to change your working philosophy in order to adapt to the software, rather than trying to force the software to work according to your philosophy.

Great saying!
__
--[[BMD's cameras and Resolve all-post workflow evangelist
My old stuff: http://www.youtube.com/rebelorelse
Debug: Asus ROG Duo GX550 i9 10980 48Gb RAM RTX2080MaxQ DaVinci Resolve Studio / Fusion Studio Latest Version]]--

Marc Wielage

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 2:24 am

waltervolpatto wrote:Peter, the project you saw in my machine, has a trailer with 27 languages, each with a different card, each language has two version of the card and two sub category: almost 120 timelines.

Gaaaaaaaa! :o

Peter Cave

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 3:00 am

I agree that dropdown list sorting needs to be more flexible.
My workaround is to use the keyboard shortcuts to switch between the Edit & Colour pages, with a bin of timelines in the edit page which I can order the way I need. I actually think it is quicker than using a drop-down list when the number of timelines becomes unwieldy.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 4:10 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:Peter, the project you saw in my machine, has a trailer with 27 languages, each with a different card, each language has two version of the card and two sub category: almost 120 timelines.

At least allow the folder structure and alphabetical order to be there.

Understood
Thks
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Drew Lahat

PostSun May 05, 2019 6:52 pm

This bothered me too today, and this seems like the foremost thread on the Color page's drop-down function.

So compared to 2017 I may be talking from the future, but at least as of v15, I realized I can just ignore that menu altogether:

Use the top-left pane to open the Media Pool (instead of the Gallery which I usually keep open), navigate to my (manually created) timelines bin, and just open timelines that way.
Then you have the full organizational capabilities of the bins and can sort things to your heart's content.

waltervolpatto

PostSun May 05, 2019 7:37 pm

Drew Lahat wrote:This bothered me too today, and this seems like the foremost thread on the Color page's drop-down function.

So compared to 2017 I may be talking from the future, but at least as of v15, I realized I can just ignore that menu altogether:

Use the top-left pane to open the Media Pool (instead of the Gallery which I usually keep open), navigate to my (manually created) timelines bin, and just open timelines that way.
Then you have the full organizational capabilities of the bins and can sort things to your heart's content.

Can u do that in the export page?

roger.magnusson

PostSun May 05, 2019 9:09 pm

You can right click a bin and select "Open As New Window", then you can use that window on the Delivery page as well. However, it's not suitable for using on a single GUI monitor since the new window doesn't stay on top of the main window. I wish there was a setting for that.

Return to DaVinci Resolve