Need Help with XAVC-S Files

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Seung Han

Need Help with XAVC-S Files

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 6:19 am

My Sony RX100 IV 1080 23.976 XAVC-S clips while playing will suddenly show one frame from a different part of the clip. At first, I thought it was a flash frame or a dropped frame but realized it is a frame from another part of the clip. This will happen once or twice on a clip around a minute long.

I tried quitting and relaunching Resolve but it is doing same thing on different part of the clips. Render is also showing the misplaced clips.

Premiere has no issue with these clips, but I would like to start migrating to Resolve to use it's much better color grading functions but cannot figure what is causing this. I think my computer can handle the hd files, so I am at a loss.

Can anyone guide me in this issue? Thanks in Advance.

My System Specs:
DaVinci Resolve 14 Public Beta
Windows 10
Skylake-S i7-6700k
32GB DDR4 SDRAM Samsung
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Need Help with XAVC-S Files

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 3:54 pm

It's Resolve beta with new playback engine, so things like this are no surprise.
Not much you can do about it. It will depend on your GPU/drivers etc. It maybe also fundamental bug in Resolve engine, so I would not try to hard to solve it. If you really want good playback convert to DNxHR/ProRes.

Seung Han

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 10:00 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:It's Resolve beta with new playback engine, so things like this are no surprise.
Not much you can do about it. It will depend on your GPU/drivers etc. It maybe also fundamental bug in Resolve engine, so I would not try to hard to solve it. If you really want good playback convert to DNxHR/ProRes.

That's too bad. I was excited to use Resolve for work but looks like I will have to stick with Premiere for now.

Is it possible to move this post to the Resolve section of the forum? I thought I posted there but looks like I made a mistake.

Also, what is the best way to report this bug to Blackmagic Design? Is this something they are interested in resolving? I do not know too much about this company.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 1:30 am

Seung Han wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:It's Resolve beta with new playback engine, so things like this are no surprise.

That's too bad. I was excited to use Resolve for work but looks like I will have to stick with Premiere for now.

Is it possible to move this post to the Resolve section of the forum? I thought I posted there but looks like I made a mistake.

Also, what is the best way to report this bug to Blackmagic Design? Is this something they are interested in resolving? I do not know too much about this company.

Can you PM a link to a sample clip for me to review?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Seung Han

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 1:15 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:
Can you PM a link to a sample clip for me to review?

Sure thing Peter. Thank you for taking an interest in this.

I want to make it clear that if I import in let's say ten XAVC-S files, maybe two or three will be effected by these random frames and the ones effected change with each new session.

Joseph Choi

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 8:58 pm

I am also seeing the same thing with footage from my Sony A7rii. The flash of random frame gets included in the final render. But if I restart, it goes away.

I can send the 10MB rendered result as well, if you'd like.

I am on Windows 10, with GeForce 1070, i5-4670, 16GB RAM.

Steve Winter

PostSat Jun 24, 2017 2:52 am

Me too, also footage from Sony A7Rii
cheers,
Steve
Windows 10 Home (x64) v.1703/Gigabyte Z170-HD3-CF MB/Intel i7-6700K/32 GB DDR4/GTX 1080 Ti 11GB/3 x SSD Hdd's/NEC PA302W monitor/DaVinci Resolve 14.0.0b.037 Studio

Joseph Choi

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 12:47 pm

Just wanted to say this also happens with Beta 5.

Editing a7r2 footage on Windows, usually happens in the first few seconds.

Joseph Choi

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 4:13 pm

@
Peter Chamberlain wrote:Can you PM a link to a sample clip for me to review?

Did you end up getting a sample clip? I can send one if you haven't received one. Also, should this be moved to the Beta 14 feedback subforum?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 2:51 am

I have the files, thanks. Fix in progress.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Joseph Choi

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 3:34 pm

This seems to be fixed in Beta 6 for me! Thank you!

Joseph Choi

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 2:07 am

I know a fix was in progress, but just wanted to correct myself. It appears to still exist in Beta 9 (14.0.0B.072).

Logs in case it's relevant: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByfHiW ... sp=sharing

tracygreen201503

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 am

The fact of the matter is XAVC and XAVC-S, or AVCHD, or any other similar format is very efficient for encoding video data into small file sizes. It is not however easy or quick to decode for high-quality finishing and post production processing. Therefore, it would be much ideal for you to transcode your source media to a finishing format such as Apple Prores, DNxHD which Resolve is able to process far more quickly.

Return to DaVinci Resolve