Tips for getting over Davinci 14b4 Startup crashes - Ubuntu

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Vassilis Kontodimas

Tips for getting over Davinci 14b4 Startup crashes - Ubuntu

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 3:24 pm

Hello everyone.

For some time, I've been plagued to getting Davinci Resolve 14b4 to work on my laptop, especially since I got it to work on two of my other Ubuntu desktop systems. For some reason, the segmentation faults came like rain right after the Project Manager, with no sign of remorse.

Therefore, I had to "emulate" what I did on my other stations. One with an nVidia GPU and one with an AMD GPU.

First of all, for all of you with nVidia GPUs out there that still have issues, make sure that you followed the footsteps of this link.

As long as you blacklist nouveau and the rest, there is no actual need to go into TTY or kill your desktop manager to install the nVidia 375.66 drivers.

However, those drivers do not install the necessary CUDA counterparts for your Resolve to start correctly. You can either do the following:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cuda-toolkit

Make sure you do not have the latest nVidia drivers PPA (that includes the 381 version) enabled; as there can be an version conflict as you might find yourself with several v381 elements next to the 375 ones.

Or

If the above still produces problems, then you may have a long download to install the latest CUDA from nVidia. This is a good 1.9GB on the Ubuntu distro.

Once you go through with this, then most of your problems should be solved.

However... if you still get a segmentation fault right after Project Manager, then make sure of the following:
  • Be certain that you have libpng12-0 installed and not the libpng16-16 (latest). The v16 tends to override the 12 and crashes Resolve during the media thumbnail creation. So-
    sudo apt-get remove --purge libpng16*
    sudo apt-get install libpng12-0

The combination of the above should be able to help.

If you still have a problem, then onto next bullet.
  • There might still be some bizarre conflict in CUDA, which means it's time to direct Resolve toward OpenCL. You can do this by the following:
    cd /opt/resolve/configs
    sudo cp config.dat config.dat.backup
    sudo vi config.dat

If you haven't successfully run Resolve before, it's best to add the following lines at the end, prior to the "Crash" reference:
    LsManager.3.NumGPUs = 1
    LsManager.3.GPUMapping = 0
    LsManager.3.GPUMappingEnable = 1
    Local.GPU.Mode = OpenCL

Save and exit.
    In the case you had the config.dat altered (Resolve creates backups when you change the file), then you can search for Local.GPU.Mode and change it to OpenCL.
By now, your chances to start Resolve normally should look a lot better.

An extra warning is the following:

In some cases of encrypted home folders, especially when restoring projects, some media tend to appear OFFLINE, even when it's still there.
Do not store your project files or your cache files in an encrypted home folder. Especially when restoring from an archive, the filenames -directories included- tend to get extremely long, something that creates a bottleneck on the decryptor. This issue does not apply on full encrypted disks with the project folders on the root directory. I tested project files on both encrypted and non-encrypted separate drives.

On the AMD GPUs, Resolve should have no problem starting, especially with the AMDGPU-Pro 17.10 driver, since the application will immediately switch to OpenCL. Just make sure your libpng12-0 is installed and not the 16 (or above, at the moment at least).

The systems I checked Resolve 14b4 were the following:

System Alpha: Core i7-920 4-core 2.67GHz, 12GB DDR3 RAM, AMD RX480 OC 8GB, SSD Boot, Encrypted 1TB Work drive - AMDGPU-Pro 17.10 drivers - Resolve works with spectacular stability
System Beta: Core i7-970 6-core 3.2GHz, 24GB DDR3 RAM, 2xnVidia 580GTX OC 1.5GB, 3xSSD, non Encrypted drives - nVidia 375.66 - CUDA v8 (from nVidia website) - Resolve works and runs without errors after the CUDA install
System Gamma: Core i7-Q740 4-core 1.7GHz - 8GB DDR3 RAM - nVidia 425M 1GB - 512GB HD - non Encrypted drive, but with Encrypted home folder - CUDA v8 (from nVidia website) - Resolve requires OpenCL configuration described above

I hope the above helps those who may still have issues & may apply to other distros as well.

---UPDATE---

I just set up a CentOS 7 installation, using the 580GTX. The issues appear to have been identical. It took a bit of extra effort applying the CUDA-Toolkit RPM, as it tends to mess up the driver (not to mention it requires locating the actual DKMS, which is not found on the usual YUM repositories). In this case, I have to TTY out and "init 3" dual-su in order to re-install the nVidia driver on top.

Fusion recognizes the CUDA and uses it @ full GPU and cache. However, Resolve crashes after Project Manager. I am aware that both the 425M & the 580GTX are CUDA 2.1 capable and the CUDA installed is the 8.0.61.

Inserting the lines in the configuration file I mentioned above, made Resolve run normally (minus waveforms, that's a certain crash on my CentOS, but not on the AMD Ubuntu Studio, strangely). Though it appears to be tad-bit slower. That is fixed with Optimized media. Color correction works @ 10-bit (same as the AMD) and the save/load does not produce any side-effects.

If anyone has any troubles, I'll be glad to post the CentOS version. However, I do suspect this is something that plagues the older cards on the beta 4, no?

Return to DaVinci Resolve