Feature Request - Track Motion and Storyboard

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Aditya Basu

Feature Request - Track Motion and Storyboard

PostSat Jun 24, 2017 8:01 am

Hi Guys,

In DaVinci Resolve will like to add a feature request. First congrats 14b is comparatively much stable. I have had some minor issues though. Thing is I have edited in multiple system and the edit interface in DaVinci I think lacks two three things will be nice if you can incorporate that.

a) Storyboarding inside Bins: Resolve does have a roundabout way of doing it by inputting shot number and arranging clips in list view as per shot number. But what I liked super in Avid is that you can drag around clips inside Bins and arrange them as per story. So sort of speeds up the workflow

b) Effects Keyframe/Curve Editor Unified Placement: I am very surprised rather disappointed with the Effects Workflow in the Edit Page. Having each clip its own curve editors and keyframe panels becomes super difficult to manage if I have put 10-15 clips atop each other and animating them. You have to keep on scrolling up and down and get lost there. So far all edit workstations I have worked in have a unified approach to this beside the monitor. Be it Vegas, Avid, Lightworks, Premier etc. I am yet to see the advantage of it. Still experimenting.

c) Track Motion/Track Level Effects: There is no way to layer effects on a whole Video Track. Like say we use in Vegas for doing a even zoom across multiple stills. That is Track level zoom starts at shot B and Ends at Shot E. So no way to do that. And as you dont have track level inputs we cant lay track level Effects also like say Cropping/Zooming/Blur etc so that all clips in the Track gets affected by the same. Vegas Pro is extremely versatile when it comes to doing compositing inside NLE better than Avid also...thanks to ability to put track level effects.

d) Node Based Effects in Edit Page Honestly when you have Node based Effects in colour page why not do that in Edit Page also. I love Lightworks as it gives me Node based Effects panel. I think its more pro than layer based workflow.

Well as you can understand I have edited on multiple systems. So am finding these shortcomings in Resolve Edit Page.

I really love everything else that is there :D :D :D

Cheers!

Return to DaVinci Resolve