PC for Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Carsten Sellberg

PC for Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve?

PostSat Jun 24, 2017 11:12 am

Hi.

I will recive my Mini 4,6K with a 12.5 Dongle next week. I also ordered 2 Samsung 850 PRO SSD together with 2 CFast to SATA Interfaces to record in RAW, RAW 3:1 or 4:1 in "dual card mode" whereby each odd or even frame of a RAW sequence is recorded to the alternate slot/SSD.

I wonder if it will be best to use Resolve 12.5 with the dongle or to download Resolve ver 14?

I the coming weeks will I build a new PC just for editing in Resolve?

I read that a Graphic Card with min 6GB ram is recommended. That can be a GTX 1060, the version with 6GB.
But will 8GB be better?
Do I need a GTX 1070 8GB?

I read that when using a graphic card from nVidea do Resolve use CUDA and if using a graphic card from AMD will resolve use OpenCL. If I need a 8GB card. How will the AMD RX 480 with 8GB do?

I had previous used an old Laptop to do some CUDA calculations. Do you know the minimum version of the CUDA Driver for using the Resolve?

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Yisrael Wealcatch

Re: PC for Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve?

PostSun Jun 25, 2017 2:51 am

Hey Carsten. First of all, congratulations on your new camera. I think you will really like it.

In terms of graphics cards, I use a GTX 1060 6Gb, and it works really well with both Resolve 12.5 and 14. Resolve does use CUDA acceleration pretty well, and I'd recommend the 1060 6Gb. If you want a few extra CUDA cores, the 1070 is a little better, but if you have that money to spend, I'd spend it on a very good CPU. An i7 6850k or 6950X are both very good for video editing. In terms of RAM, get at least 16Gb, but 32Gb is even better. It all depends on your workflow.

For the CUDA driver, just download the latest drivers from NVIDIA, and you should be all set.

Cheers!
Yisrael

GeranSimpson

PostSun Jun 25, 2017 8:43 pm

I also have the gtx 1060 6gb, superclocked card. It handles 4k footage from my BMPC just fine with light grades. Heavy color grading will bog it down. (2+ tracked power windows, many nodes).

Carsten Sellberg

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 9:37 am

Hi Geran.

Do you have any idea what gives then problems with the Heavy color grading. It is due to, the only 6 GB vRam?
Do you ever see any vRam Error messages?

Will you recommend a Graphics Card with 8GB?

But last month I saw, I believe, it was a YouTube video where they was using a Black Magic video card for color grading?
Do any know anything about it?

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Yisrael Wealcatch

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 2:26 am

Carsten Sellberg wrote:Hi Geran.

Do you have any idea what gives then problems with the Heavy color grading. It is due to, the only 6 GB vRam?
Do you ever see any vRam Error messages?

Will you recommend a Graphics Card with 8GB?

But last month I saw, I believe, it was a YouTube video where they was using a Black Magic video card for color grading?
Do any know anything about it?

Regards Carsten.

4K itself eats up your VRAM. The 1060 6 Gb can handle it fine though. It's only when you layer on many layers of color correction that it starts to slow down a little bit. If you aren't going to be working in 4K all the time, especially not with color correction, I still recommend the 1060 6 Gb. Otherwise, get the GTX 1070 8 Gb. It's about $100 more though, so pick your priorities.

Carsten Sellberg

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 6:55 pm

Hi.

As Yisrael say very well. The GTX 1070 8 Gb is only about $100 more.

I had already ordered two Samsung 850 PRO SSD's. And two Icy Dock MB522SP-B DualBay 2.5" to 3.5". I expect to use one on the URSA Mini 4,6K and the other in the PC for Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve. My plan was to move all recording over to the largest SSD and use that as the source. And when finished save the result to the smallest SSD and use that as the destination.

But I am wondering how many SATA port do I need. Is 4 enough, or do I need 6? I expect that I will like a M.2 SSD for Windows 10 64 bit and DaVinci Resolve. I want a WD Red 6TB as a normal hard drive. And an another WD Red 6TB in a NAS Cabinet as a Backup. But then I will only have one spare SATA port. Will that be enough?

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Return to DaVinci Resolve