Render error: Time out when waiting for frame 3881 ...."

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Scott Stacy

PostSat Jun 24, 2017 6:47 pm

Rendering out a Premiere XML with individual 2k ProRes 4444 clips for finishing. First pass went fine. Second pass after some corrections resulted in the following error: "Time out when waiting for frame 3881 [as well as other xxxx frames] for recording, frame dropped.

Rendering to a 2TB RAID 0 SSD drive.
System: Mac Sierra 10.12.5 / System Ram 32 GB / 3GH 8 core / GPU AMD FirePro D700
GPU temp around 141F with fan at 1700rpm to keep things cool

Tried with Resolve 12.5 and 12.5.6. Same issue.

Any thoughts? Called BMD three days ago; spoke with a level 1 rep; and with no return call by Friday

Thanks
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
NVME M.2 Samsung 970 2TB (x4)
Resolve 17.4

Marc Wielage

Re: Render error: Time out when waiting for frame 3881 ...."

PostSun Jun 25, 2017 12:42 am

Doh, 141° is very hot.

I always do the following:

1) kill the power and let the Mac cool down for at least 30 minutes
2) boot it back up, and check the temp -- it should start off at well below 95°F.
3) with Macs Fan Control, manually kick the fan up to 1800RPM.
4) with absolutely nothing else running in the background, relaunch Resolve, go to the Deliver page.
5) render the file at 10fps to an external drive.
6) check it every so often to make sure the temp isn't going too high. It's very rare I see any render glitches or dropped frames if it's below 130 degrees. 135 and above gets a little dicey, but I've seen it work OK sometimes.

This can work most of the time, and I've generally been able to to at least get 20 minutes of 444 out, even under fairly large (20+) node trees and some TNR/SNR and a moderate use of OFX plug-ins. 4K is more challenging but can be done in smaller segments.

How long is the timeline you're trying to render? Worst-case scenario, break it down into smaller pieces, get it out in (say) 10-minute chunks, then at the very end, pull all the whole segments back in to a new timeline, and render it all out with no corrections as a 444 file again. Technically, it's a generation down, but for our purposes, I think we can call it 0 loss.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

rick.lang

PostSun Jun 25, 2017 12:59 pm

Yesterday I started getting this error eventually after my maxed out iMac 27" late 2015 with Pegasus2 R6 began failing during renders of HD H.264 video from raw 3:1 2K footage with no downscaling. I've done a lot of renders without any problem but this month I've had the occasional instance where the computer temporarily shuts itself off and then restarts. I thought it was our warm weather (maybe 30 degrees) and so this morning before 5:30, on a cold machine with ambient temperature about 15 degrees, the same problem of temporary shutdown occurred after less than a minute. My fans are running but I suspect it's heat related. Why is this new problem suddenly occurring?

Taking the advice to limit renders to 10 fps (with a 60 fps deliverable) and so far so good. Still vexes me I've done these identical 22-29 minute 60 fps HD H.264 videos several times without much trouble this month. At 10 fps render speed, my CPU is at 80% compared to about 200% or more running unrestricted (where Resolve reported 30 fps or more throughout previously). It appears 10 fps will work, but don't understand the sudden poor performance now when ambient temperature is not the issue.

Thanks for the suggestion Marc. Saved me from trying the release 14beta out of desperation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Scott Stacy

Re: Render error: Time out when waiting for frame 3881 ...."

PostSun Jun 25, 2017 4:29 pm

Thanks, Marc. Yeah ... I usually start with a fresh start-up and at 95 or even lower. I have not had my fan at 1800, though. My render speed has been 1650. So, I will bump it up. I am also going to try render to another drive in case my SSD render is going glitchy. Thanks, again.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 17.4

Scott Stacy

Re: Render error: Time out when waiting for frame 3881 ....

PostSun Jun 25, 2017 4:37 pm

rick.lang wrote:Yesterday I started getting this error eventually after my maxed out iMac 27" late 2015 with Pegasus2 R6 began failing during renders of HD H.264 video from raw 3:1 2K footage with no downscaling. I've done a lot of renders without any problem but this month I've had the occasional instance where the computer temporarily shuts itself off and then restarts. I thought it was our warm weather (maybe 30 degrees) and so this morning before 5:30, on a cold machine with ambient temperature about 15 degrees, the same problem of temporary shutdown occurred after less than a minute. My fans are running but I suspect it's heat related. Why is this new problem suddenly occurring?

Taking the advice to limit renders to 10 fps (with a 60 fps deliverable) and so far so good. Still vexes me I've done these identical 22-29 minute 60 fps HD H.264 videos several times without much trouble this month. At 10 fps render speed, my CPU is at 80% compared to about 200% or more running unrestricted (where Resolve reported 30 fps or more throughout previously). It appears 10 fps will work, but don't understand the sudden poor performance now when ambient temperature is not the issue.

Thanks for the suggestion Marc. Saved me from trying the release 14beta out of desperation!

Hey Rick ... One thing to consider is that after years of running hot, your GPUs may be deteriorating. This happened with my trashcan - to the point of Apple replacing my whole machine. I use iStat which allows you to monitor all the temperature sensors in your mac AND control the fan speed. This has been a life saver for me. I used it on my iMac before I got my trashcan. Here is a link: https://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 17.4

rick.lang

PostSun Jun 25, 2017 8:12 pm

I have the three year AppleCare on the iMac and the Pegasus2 with 21 months left on it so I'll monitor things more closely... around the end of this year when they release the iMac Pro. Thanks for the tip.

Rick Lang

Scott Stacy

Re: Render error: Time out when waiting for frame 3881 ....

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 4:04 pm

rick.lang wrote:I have the three year AppleCare on the iMac and the Pegasus2 with 21 months left on it so I'll monitor things more closely... around the end of this year when they release the iMac Pro. Thanks for the tip.

I worry about the cooling of the iMac Pro putting higher performance parts in the small enclosure. I think that Apple has put design before function. Curious to see what they do with the new MacPro. I made the switch to PC, but have been having some problems with that machine. It appears as though I may be jinxed :(
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 17.4

rick.lang

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 5:20 pm

Definitely too much adherence to an existing design that pretends the back is only 5mm (at the edge as it that means anything at all). How can anyone be that stupid and still earn millions of dollars per year like Phil?

The small output vent at the back is sort of blocked by where the computer mount joins to the back of the computer. They are beautiful machines, but it seems nobody at Apple is testing these doing renders with DaVinci Resolve. Maybe the Pro will include Resolve and 4K/2K video renders up to 60 fps. I know, I'm dreaming.

Rick Lang

Return to DaVinci Resolve