14beta overwrites 12.5

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

michaelwithers

14beta overwrites 12.5

PostSun Jun 25, 2017 3:21 pm

I'm seeking some advice, please.

I did not know that installing the beta version of Resolve 14 (lite) overwrites the existing Resolve version but I tried to be cautious and asked Resolve 14 to install into a different folder (called /Resolve14).

After installation, Resolve 14 starts to launch, displays the splash screen and then shows the 'project launch' page. If I then click on the 'untitled project' option the 'Project' page disappears and nothing else happens. Resolve does not launch.

Can someone advise me of the next safe move? It seems to me that the options are:
1. Uninstall Resolve 14beta and re-install 12.5 (will that leave the database intact)
2. Uninstall Resolve 14beta and reinstall 14beta but using the default directory (/Resolve/)
3. Reinstall 12.5 without uninstalling 14beta
4. Any other options?

Resolve 12.5 was working perfectly well on this PC before I tried to install 14beta. Is it normal in the industry to overwrite a stable installation with a (potentially unstable) beta version? Doesn't seem sensible to me! Also, where does it say that your stable installation will be overwritten? At least providing a warning during installation would have helped.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am keen to try the new beta version as it sounds to be a very exciting development.

Thanks in advance

Michael

Nick Kurucsev

Re: 14beta overwrites 12.5

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 9:22 am

Hi Michael,

When I installed 14 and wanted to go back to 12.5, just uninstalled 14, reinstalled 12.5, all worked fine, just bear in mind any projects you have worked on in 14 won't be useable in 12.5.
Thanks,
Nick
DR 16 Studio
Gigabyte X299X Designare Mainboard, I9-10980XE CPU
128Gig Ram Windows 10 RTX3090

Steve Alexander

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 11:53 am

You can't install two versions of Resolve on the same machine. In addition, Resolve 14 will update your project database making it incompatible with Resolve 12. For this reason it is recommended that you backup your Resolve 12 projects and project database before installing Resolve 14.

This can't be understated (and has been repeated on this forum many times).
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

michaelwithers

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 1:04 pm

Many thanks for the input. I'll try uninstalling 14 and re-installing 12.5.

Fingers crossed.

Kind regards

Michael

Akpe Ododoru

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 2:10 pm

michaelwithers wrote:I'm seeking some advice, please.

I did not know that installing the beta version of Resolve 14 (lite) overwrites the existing Resolve version but I tried to be cautious and asked Resolve 14 to install into a different folder (called /Resolve14).

After installation, Resolve 14 starts to launch, displays the splash screen and then shows the 'project launch' page. If I then click on the 'untitled project' option the 'Project' page disappears and nothing else happens. Resolve does not launch.

Can someone advise me of the next safe move? It seems to me that the options are:
1. Uninstall Resolve 14beta and re-install 12.5 (will that leave the database intact)
2. Uninstall Resolve 14beta and reinstall 14beta but using the default directory (/Resolve/)
3. Reinstall 12.5 without uninstalling 14beta
4. Any other options?

Resolve 12.5 was working perfectly well on this PC before I tried to install 14beta. Is it normal in the industry to overwrite a stable installation with a (potentially unstable) beta version? Doesn't seem sensible to me! Also, where does it say that your stable installation will be overwritten? At least providing a warning during installation would have helped.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am keen to try the new beta version as it sounds to be a very exciting development.

Thanks in advance

Michael

Anytime you install davinci, it tends to go straight in ur applications folder (on mac) as "Davinci Resolve" so it will overwrite anything with the same name. Go into your application folder and create a folder (give it a different name)and drag the old "Davinci Resolve" folder into it. Now when you install version 14 it doesn't see the old one as its in a diffent folder with a new name. U now hav both (This is how i do it on my mac)

Akpe Ododoru
Cinematographer
London
www.akpe.co.uk

JPOwens

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 3:28 pm

Akpe Ododoru wrote:Go into your application folder and create a folder (give it a different name)and drag the old "Davinci Resolve" folder into it. Now when you install version 14 it doesn't see the old one as its in a diffent folder with a new name. U now hav both (This is how i do it on my mac)

Have to think this is a wildly dangerous thing to do.

Perfectly fine if it was only the application version that launched, but Resolve does not interface with the rest of the platform with respect to project files in the same way that many other applications allow you to save named projects. it all resides in a database which will become corrupted with a mix of releases. It is completely correct to backup backup backup backup.

Maybe you don't need to go to the extent of building a completely new system if you want to run side-by-side installs, But if you ever run into conflicting database issues, you won't have much trouble locating the cause.

jPo, CSI

JimmyG

PostWed Jun 28, 2017 12:14 am

I had mentioned this in another part of the forum, but had no response. Part of my workflow has always been to create a disk database for each project and place it in a folder under the uber-folder of the project. That way it can be backed up, shared, etc. by just grabbing the topmost folder. With 14, (and this case of 12 and 14 usage/testing) how will I be able to do similar things in 14 when the DB is now centralized?

JimmyG

John Paines

PostWed Jun 28, 2017 1:32 am

The interface of the v14 DB Manager has changed slightly, but otherwise the databases are organized in the same way. You can use the same system in 14 as 12.5, storing a disk-based database wherever you want.

If you want to test 14, you could create a new disk-based database inside 14, and then use the 14 database manager to copy and paste projects from an existing disk-based 12.5 database into the newly created disk-based 14 database (this is a new feature). Or just use the OS to drag copies of project files from one db to the other.

If you have trouble opening an existing 12.5 project in 14 (some projects may crash the beta), consider exporting it from 12.5 instead, and then importing it.

Be warned, if you save a 12.5 project in 14, you won't be able to open it again in 12.5. So keep the databases separate.

JimmyG

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 11:25 pm

Thanks John ! Good to know.. JimmyG

Return to DaVinci Resolve