How to freeze part of a frame?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

David Mackenzie

How to freeze part of a frame?

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi forum,
So during an interview shoot, one of our lights started flickering, fortunately only affecting the background of a shot, and out of the area where the actress is talking and moving around. So, I can fix it by replacing that part of the frame with video from earlier in the shoot.

How do I do this in Resolve? I have the "good section" copied onto a new track above the main interview, but I don't know how to mask it. I can add windows etc, but those only affect that node; what I want to do is "cut a hole" in the entire track and let the actress on the track below show through.

JPOwens

Re: How to freeze part of a frame?

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 3:47 pm

David Mackenzie wrote:what I want to do is "cut a hole" in the entire track and let the actress on the track below show through.

Add an alpha output to the "atop" element node tree that is defined by whatever qualification you created - window, vignette, combination thereof... Its just a right-click away.

jPo, CSI

Kays Alatrakchi

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 5:03 pm

There might need to be some slight stabilization/tracking needed as well. It's really amazing how small vibrations and movements even from a tripod shot become visible in a scenario like this.
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

JPOwens

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 2:39 am

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:some slight stabilization/tracking needed as well.

And then you will have to blow them both up to avoid dog-earing the edges. Or grab the freeze after you do the mo-stab.

As Murphy's Corollary states: There are no perfect solutions; only ones that are more subtly wrong.

jPo, CSI

Return to DaVinci Resolve