Random frames inserted within clips, taken from further

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nicolas Le Moan

Random frames inserted within clips, taken from further

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 1:37 pm

Hi everyone ! I hope everything will be ok about me posting here =)

I'm encountering a little but very frustrating issue when editing movie clips in DaVinci Resolve 14beta.

When I import video clips (captures from a GoPro Hero3) in the timeline, everything works just fine at first.
But after a while editing my project (adding transitions, moving the clips, adding a title...), when i play the preview, i suddenly notice strange random frames have appeared within some of the clips. After investigation, it appears that these random buggy frames are actually frames from further in the same clip, like a second or two further !

When I delete the bugged clips and re-import them, at first everything's fine, then after a while, bam, the same thing starts happening again. And the issue also appears on the rendered result.

I even tried starting a whole new project, but for now, the issue keeps happening.

I tried uninstalling DR14 and installing DR12, and the issue do not appear in v12. But v14 is so much easy to use, it's quite frustrating to be obliged to use DV12... Have you guys ever heard of such issue ?

My conf : ASUS ROG G751JT laptop, Windows 8.1 64bit, GeForce GTX970M.

Thanks in advance for your help, have a good day ! :D

Nicolas.

Marc Wielage

Re: Random frames inserted within clips, taken from further

PostWed Jun 28, 2017 1:35 am

My opinion is that GoPro H.264 files are a very bad choice for post. You're much better off transcoding all of them to an Intraframe format like DNxHD or ProRes, then using those for post.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

MikeMeagher

PostWed Jun 28, 2017 2:03 am

Marc I totally agree with you and I personally transcode my Gopro video..but I must agree with the OP that there is a problem with DR'S handling of H.264.. I want to see BMD succeed in attracting the prosumer and small indie market.. and a solid program that meets the expectations of the customer is a hallmark of a good marketing plan. With the free or $300 pricing model such will only attract a different client with differing expectations. Imho.
Mike Meagher Filmmaker
Win10 64 pro I7 6core ASUS X99 64 GB RAM
M.2 system drive.
2x SSDs in Raid0 cache.
3x 7200 HHDs in raid0 as video source storage
Two EVGA1080TI cards 422.19 Studio
Decklink MiniM 15.1 4K HDMI to BENQ WS271
Resolve 16.1 studio

Nicolas Le Moan

PostWed Jun 28, 2017 7:21 am

Thanks for your answers.

Could you please advice me of some software or freeware to... "transcode" the movie clip then ?
Not absolutely sure of how that means (very-begginner here :D) but I guess I somehow have to "translate" them into another format, is that so ?

Anyway thanks for having taken the time to answer me and sorry for my english, not always 100% sure it's correct xD

Regards,

MikeMeagher

PostWed Jun 28, 2017 7:10 pm

I currenty use Convert4 which is now part of a suite called Dalis Moustache. I use it to transcode MTS files and gopro files to DNx format prior to working with them in Resolve. Other times with large gopro files where I only need a few seconds of video I create a subclinical then create an optimal media file from that dublip to DNx and use that in resolve.
Mike Meagher Filmmaker
Win10 64 pro I7 6core ASUS X99 64 GB RAM
M.2 system drive.
2x SSDs in Raid0 cache.
3x 7200 HHDs in raid0 as video source storage
Two EVGA1080TI cards 422.19 Studio
Decklink MiniM 15.1 4K HDMI to BENQ WS271
Resolve 16.1 studio

Return to DaVinci Resolve