[SOLVED] Half an audio clip is missing waveforms...

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael Walker

[SOLVED] Half an audio clip is missing waveforms...

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 3:41 pm

How to refresh the waveforms?

When I first brought in this ten minute mono audio dialog track, it looked fine, but as I scrolled ahead working on the project, I saw that the last half of it (I think, all that wasn't displayed on the initial placement??) HAS NO WAVEFORMS.

The audio is there - but the clip's waveforms for the back end are empty! All fine for the first seven minutes or so. :?:

Using Resolve 12.5.6.017 on OSX 10.12.5
Last edited by Michael Walker on Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Paines

Re: Half an audio clip is missing waveforms...

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 3:43 pm

Is it .mp4 by any chance?

Michael Walker

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 3:50 pm

Nope, it's a standalone WAV file... 48Khz, 16 bit mono. Recorded on the same Mac

Like I say, the first three quarters of it has perfectly good waveforms - I have been editing this project fine for two days, and now I'm 'flying blind' with the last three minutes of audio. Not insurmountable, but hoping for a quick fix...

John Paines

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 3:53 pm

Then I'm stumped. I've seen disappearing waveforms on compressed stuff, but never .wav. It's a blind shot, try at your own risk, but I'd delete the audio cache files, so the system has to rebuild all the waveforms.

Michael Walker

SOLVED: Half an audio clip is missing waveforms...

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 4:26 pm

Score! I went into the Cache folder... found the Audio subfolder for that project, and deleted both files (two identical, one with _0 suffix). NOW HAVE ALL WAVEFORMS BACK :D

Thanks for your intuition [insert thumbs up icon here]

Return to DaVinci Resolve