Disable Subframe Trimming in Fairlight?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

PeterMoretti

Disable Subframe Trimming in Fairlight?

PostSun Jul 09, 2017 4:10 am

I've been looking around for an answer, but haven't been able to find one.

I am assuming there will be an *option* to snap or lock resizing on the Fairlight Page to one frame increments.

The idea of having all of these odd length audio clips gives me some serious queasiness.

This will be an option right (or am I missing something)?

Thanks so much!!
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

PeterMoretti

Re: Disable Subframe Trimming in Fairlight?

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 1:18 am

Just looking for some word on this. Is there a way on the Fairlight Page to limit clip length adjustments to whole frame increments?

Thanks so much!
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

PeterMoretti

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 6:09 pm

I hate to keep on bumping this, but I just hope that this issue is being looked at.

Subframe trimming is great but it can cause issues. For example, you can't go from Pro Tools to Media Composer because Pro Tools can subframe edit while MC can't. How do XML, EDL and AAF files handle subframe audio edits?

We need to have an option to constrain cuts (and probably other manipulations) on the Fairlight page to whole frame increments.

And if I'm wrong about the real importance of this issue, please feel free to set me straight.

Uli Plank

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 12:03 am

Just link your audio to some video.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

PeterMoretti

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 4:20 am

Even if that works, it's not a solution, as linking audio and video affects how they edited on the edit page.

Marc Wielage

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 5:41 am

PeterMoretti wrote:Even if that works, it's not a solution, as linking audio and video affects how they edited on the edit page.

I think the same thing would happen if you edited audio with subframes in Pro Tools, then pulled that edit back into (say) Premiere.

The only answer I can see is: don't do that. Consider the Fairlight editing to be the final mix. I've edited audio for years and years in Pro Tools and never even once considered any issues about subframe editing (which has existed for decades), because generally what I export is a flattened file or a series of flattened files. The person getting the final mix doesn't see the work that went into it; they just hear the results.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

PeterMoretti

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 9:01 pm

Marc,

But you know as well as I do that Fairlight is for the vast majority of times not going to be used for final mixing.

It's going to be used as an advanced audio page. It needs to have the *option* to be constrained in the same ways that Media Composer's audio adjustments are constrained so that useable AAFs, XMLs and EDLs are generated.

Right now there is no easy way that I can see to constrain adjustment to whole frame increments. (Maybe I'm wrong and there is a way to currently do this.)

A choice like "Snap to Whole Frames" would I think do the trick.

Marc Wielage

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 6:42 am

But if you edit the audio on the Resolve Editing page, the problem doesn't occur?

PeterMoretti

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 7:05 am

I can't tell very well how those two pages interact. As if I trim audio on the Fairlight Page, I don't see any change in the audio on the Edit Page.*

Of course the Edit Page doesn't allow for less than one frame increments, so it can't cause any partial frame issues.

Also, the timecode windows on the Fairlight Page doesn't seem to update at all when moving the playhead.

*Now it started updating, but Fairlight trims seem to take precedence over Edit Page trims. So if I shorten a clip on the Fairlight Page, I can't lengthen it on the Edit Page. And I can indeed make a partial frame trim on the Fairlight Page that will show up on the Edit Page as ending in between frames.

Marc Wielage

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 3:28 am

I think there will be more Fairlight fixes in the next Beta, but I dunno when that will be out. It's anybody's guess as to when 14 will hit a golden master release date.

Return to DaVinci Resolve