DaVinci Resolve 14 random crashing after opening project

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

tomtatchell

DaVinci Resolve 14 random crashing after opening project

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 4:57 pm

Hello,

I'm not sure what's happening, but after opening a project, Resolve crashes, either after scrubbing in the timeline for a bit, or when changing to the colour tab.

We've tried the project on multiple machines and running it off a server database with the same issues.

On a rare occasion we get a crash log, this is the latest one. https://pastebin.com/LexkY2MY

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tom

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14 random crashing after opening project

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 9:47 pm

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=54509

Resolve logs may be more helpful than the Mac crash log you've posted.

But the crash log does show you are using an HD5770 GPU that only has 1GB of VRAM. That is probably too low an amount for anything but simple HD timelines. We recommend 2GB minimum VRAM for HD timelines.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

tomtatchell

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 7:14 am

Sorry for that, I knew I forgot something when writing the post..

Here is the DaVinci log:
Code: Select all
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r0wu2tuv33d06rv/AABVG4LLQDgDOphGfNvW1cVQa?dl=0

I'll look into using a different graphics card and see if that helps the situation. Thank you for the suggestion.

Cheers

Tom

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 5:10 pm

Looks like GPU memory is the issue.

You should probably also try the current Resolve 14 beta 5 version. Once you have a GPU with more VRAM.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

tomtatchell

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 8:01 am

Thanks for the reply. We've since updated Resolve to the latest version after realising and are still encountering the crashes.

Last week we were using files in the project that I would have thought were a lot more intense memory wise than this week.

We were loading in uncompressed EXR sequences and seemed to be having no troubles at all.
The problems started creeping in after we'd switched them all out for smaller png files.
The crashing also seems quite random, we're are unable to say "doing x causes it to crash"

As soon as I can get my hands on a new gpu, I'll test out that memory theory.

Would there be a cache it tries to load into memory when it opens we can try and clear?

As a temporary fix we are running it through premier with no issues at all.

Robert Berry

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 9:05 pm

I'm having the same issue...but I have 12 gig of GPU ram.

I'm running the latest version of resolve 14. I'm trying to play a sequence of Open .exr's on the timeline and they import and play fine for about 5 min. Trying to color correct (gamma increase to 2.2) and the program crashes.

I'm running windows 8.1 under bootcamp on a Mac 2013 (black "can" looking computer) with 128 gig of RAM and Dual ATI D700...each with 6GB of video Ram 1 TB solid state drive (900 MB/s drive) and external RAID (700 MB/s)

Fusion 9 Studio runs great so far...Got both today but have been using Fusion for years...mostly very old Eyeon Version

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

-Robert

Return to DaVinci Resolve