Exporting .cube LUT file destination

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Torey Lenart

Exporting .cube LUT file destination

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 3:22 am

Hey Everyone!
So I've got a quick question for yall. I'm new to DaVinci 12.5 version and it's a bit different from the 8.0 version I've used in the past. In the past, I've been able to export .cube Lut files to any destination of my choosing whether it be the desktop, or a SSD drive folder or whatever it may have been. In my new version, I've found it will only allow me to save the exported .cube file to the LUT folder DaVinci created in its web of subfolders. Is there a setting, or a menu or something I can do to save these created .cube files to my desktop or a LUT folder I've created? I'm able to direct the destination for my stills with the LUTS applied to the folders I want, but not the .cube file.

I work as a loader on a show and my DP makes the Luts and I just export them and put them on SSD drives for his Odysseys. It would be a lot quicker and easier for me to be able to just save them to my desktop and transfer over instead of going into a search a find each time.

Thanks so much guys!!!!
Torey

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Exporting .cube LUT file destination

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 7:08 pm

LUT generation has some changes since Resolve 8.

You can now generate LUTs from the Color page by right clicking the clip thumbnail and selecting Generate 3D LUT (and there are a couple of options). This will make a LUT based on any primary grades you've made in the clip. Unlike the old V8 LUT create method, you don't have to apply the grade to the trim_lut0.dpx frame. Just right click and generate the LUT.

If you use this method, you get a Finder interface, and can save the LUT anywhere you want.

We still have the old V8 method of LUT generation, in the Project Settings - Color Management area, under "Generate LUT From Current Grade". This method requires the use of the trim_lut0.dpx frame, and does not allow you to select the location to save to.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Torey Lenart

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 10:16 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:LUT generation has some changes since Resolve 8.

You can now generate LUTs from the Color page by right clicking the clip thumbnail and selecting Generate 3D LUT (and there are a couple of options). This will make a LUT based on any primary grades you've made in the clip. Unlike the old V8 LUT create method, you don't have to apply the grade to the trim_lut0.dpx frame. Just right click and generate the LUT.

If you use this method, you get a Finder interface, and can save the LUT anywhere you want.

We still have the old V8 method of LUT generation, in the Project Settings - Color Management area, under "Generate LUT From Current Grade". This method requires the use of the trim_lut0.dpx frame, and does not allow you to select the location to save to.

Hey Dwaine!
Yeah I understand that and I have been generating the 3DLut and getting to the finder interface but no matter where I try to save it, it does not physically save to the destination I choose. The only place it will save is inside the LUT folder blackmagic creates in the web of subfolders on subfolders on subfolders.
Any other ideas?
Torey

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 10:47 pm

What type of system?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Sharan Kukreja

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 1:51 pm

Hi Dwaine, related to this thread... when exporting 3D LUTS by right clicking on the clip, on our Mac Pro (trashcan) system running 10.10.5, the default folder is always /Documents - no matter how many times we use the drop down to choose a recently used folder DaVinci never remembers the most recent choice (as most modern software does).... is there any way to chance the default folder?

Due to post workflow issues of often working with mixed codecs, some without proper timecode (making xml round-tripping quite a pain) we sometimes find it easier to run a simple grade in DaVinci (no power windows, etc) and export 3D LUT's to apply in Premiere but it would be a huge time saver when running 30+ LUT's to not have to select the folder each time. Is it possible? Thanks!

Mark Aylward

PostSat Dec 09, 2017 4:24 am

Well seems this has been fixed. Or at least has not reared its head at me...

OS El Capitan
DR 14.1.1.005

I was able to select the location of choice.
Mark Aylward

President
Dead Ringer Movies

Roman Medvid

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 12:00 pm

Couldn't save any LUTs until I added the destination location in Media tab as another media location.
Maybe this will help someone.

Resolve 14
macOS High Sierra 10.13.3

Return to DaVinci Resolve