Need to render my video asap and Resolve keeps Crashing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael McCaffrey

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 3:45 am

I just finished editing a not-so-important side project in Resolve 14b5. Now it turns out, I need to deliver the project sooner than I thought. Like tomorrow -- and I can't render out my video at all. Resolve keeps crashing. Tried rendering with my native Radeon R9 GPU in my 2015 MBP, tried rendering with my eGPU 980 Ti. Tried rendering h.264, tried ProRes. Dozens of render attempts and Resolve is crashing at different points in the render in the first 1-5% of the 4 minute long video.

I tried downgrading to beta4. I cant go to 12.5 because 12.5 won't read Resolve 14 databases. Im stuck! Any ideas how else I can get resolve to render this project out?

OSX 10.12.2
Macbook Pro 2015, 16GB RAM i7 Quad-core 2.5ghz
Configuration:
Resolve Studio (Always the Latest)
Windows 11 Pro Workstation
32 Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 256GB RAM
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS
(1) 32" Ultra-Wide Display, (1) 4K 27” Display

Uli Plank

Re: Need to render my video asap and Resolve keeps Crashing

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 5:09 am

Check your disk with Disk Warrior.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Michael McCaffrey

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 5:13 am

Uli Plank wrote:Check your disk with Disk Warrior.

I've tried rendering to two different drives. To an external thunderbolt RAID and to my local SSD. No difference. Resolve still crashes.
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Uli Plank

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 5:58 am

It's not about that. Disk Warrior checks and repairs disk structure and it has saved my a… many times when I had unexplainable crashes. It's an indispensable tool for anybody using a Mac.
Other than that you should try scrubbing through your TL around the point in time where the crashes occur to see if there is one bad clip causing this. And then, I'm sorry to say this, but after all it's still beta software. OTOH I have yet to see a crash when rendering to ProRes.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 8:24 am

Michael McCaffrey wrote:I just finished editing a not-so-important side project in Resolve 14b5. Now it turns out, I need to deliver the project sooner than I thought. Like tomorrow -- and I can't render out my video at all. Resolve keeps crashing. Tried rendering with my native Radeon R9 GPU in my 2015 MBP, tried rendering with my eGPU 980 Ti. Tried rendering h.264, tried ProRes. Dozens of render attempts and Resolve is crashing at different points in the render in the first 1-5% of the 4 minute long video.

I tried downgrading to beta4. I cant go to 12.5 because 12.5 won't read Resolve 14 databases. Im stuck! Any ideas how else I can get resolve to render this project out?

OSX 10.12.2

You haven't posted your crash log so it's difficult to say where you are crashing. Can you please post a link to it?

Couple of things to try:
- update to latest 10.12 macOS update
- Try Metal instead of OpenCL and see if that helps
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Gary Wedekind

Re: Cant render 'In/Out' option on timeline?

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 10:35 am

I am trying to rend an in/out section of a timeline after installing studio version of 14 b5, but get a write permission error on all drives, which wernt a problem before. However if i select 'Entire Timeline' it will write the render as normal. Ripping my hair out! Any ideas anyone?

win 10
32gb ram
gtx 1080
DR Studio 18.5.1
Windows 10 Pro (1903)
64gb RAM
GTX 1080
Nvidia driver NSD - Latest

rick.lang

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 4:35 pm

Michael, just wondering if your chips are overheating as happened to me recently. I think it was Marc Wielage that suggested slowing the render done so the chips don't overheat. On the Deliver page, select File, then instead of the Render Speed being the default Maximum, set it to 10 fps. If that doesn't work, try 5 fps. May not be your problem but it's a very easy fix to try. Worked wonders for me, never an issue with Resolve 'crashing' at 10 fps.

Resolve isn't really crashing if the system is overheating, but it looks like that. On my iMac, macOS does some kind of temporary shutdown and after you wait a minute, it will startup and resume Resolve... and then 'crash' again in a few seconds. Hopefully something similar is happening on your Windows machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Michael McCaffrey

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 5:01 pm

Rohit Gupta wrote:
Michael McCaffrey wrote:I just finished editing a not-so-important side project in Resolve 14b5. Now it turns out, I need to deliver the project sooner than I thought. Like tomorrow -- and I can't render out my video at all. Resolve keeps crashing. Tried rendering with my native Radeon R9 GPU in my 2015 MBP, tried rendering with my eGPU 980 Ti. Tried rendering h.264, tried ProRes. Dozens of render attempts and Resolve is crashing at different points in the render in the first 1-5% of the 4 minute long video.

OSX 10.12.2

You haven't posted your crash log so it's difficult to say where you are crashing. Can you please post a link to it?

Couple of things to try:
- update to latest 10.12 macOS update
- Try Metal instead of OpenCL and see if that helps

Ok I think I've solved the issue. I was able to get at least one render out of it by changing from the project from UHD 3840x2160 to 1920x1080 HD and then also exporting at HD. So that at least got me through, but even then it was sporadic. Only two out of 10 renders would actually go through without crashing.

This morning I updated from 10.12 to 10.12.5 and also upgraded my Nvidia and CUDA drivers for the Mac. This morning I was able to render out a 4k version first time without crashing. I've also thrown a couple more renders at it and it seems to be doing fine.

Im also half suspecting heat may be part of the issue as mentioned above. Before Resolve would crash, I could see the video preview go from smooth to jerky, and then it would crash. This happened consistently. My eGPU box was so hot I couldnt touch it for more than 10 seconds without getting burned. Everything was off last night and seems to be working well thismorning. But I think the OSX update helped too. Wow that was such a pain having to deliver a project and not be able to export it. I dont ever want to be there again. Think I'll wait for the final release of 14 before doing any more projects in Resolve. There are so many bugs, setting in/out points doesnt work, key mapping settings wont take, resolve crashing, audio doesnt render, audio playback is sketchy, audio fades and adjustments dont take, or are affecting the wrong part of the clip, and on and on. Ive never seen such a buggy piece of software, but I really hope it all gets sorted out. Seems pretty overwhelming... like being sent into the deep jungle and asked for a detailed description of every bug... uhhhhhhh.... yeeaaahhh...
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

rick.lang

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 4:10 am

Good to see you got through this travail. Heat was the issue, but updating your system components was a better solution than slowing down your renders. On my iMac, I'm on the latest updates, so for me "haste makes waste" and slowing the render speed down is an acceptable workaround until hopefully the final release of Resolve 14 manages this better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 11:06 am

I think an option to slow down renders in DR would be a good solution to all such cases, in particular with nMPs though.

Kays Alatrakchi

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 3:40 pm

Uli Plank wrote:I think an option to slow down renders in DR would be a good solution to all such cases, in particular with nMPs though.

There is as Rick stated above. Just limit the render speed to a particular number of frames per second, even down to 1 which is pretty damn slow.
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

declan37

PostTue May 29, 2018 9:12 pm

hi guys

Resolve version 14.3 and 15.0.ob.037 crashing all the time on export, also was happening during grade when moving colour wheels at times, scrolling through the timeline,

thanks for all the info on this post, I'm in complete hell with this also with a Friday morning deadline on the movie, even a 1920x 1080 would do for now before the dcp needs doing,
last three days have been spent trying different things posted in these forums, but no solution has worked so far.
cuda crashes in seconds on export open cl gets furthest and wigs out at about 5%, have changed from max render to 100 but no good, will try 10 as suggested in the morning as giving the computer a rest as it must be on fire after 14 hours of tries and fails today :) have updated to the latest drivers for Nvidia 980ti, didn't work,
thing is I did the trailer for this movie with same files (sony slog 3, Phantom 4 mix) and didn't have any
problems,
all my other cpu and gpu heavy programs work seamlessly on my machine, its just resolve.

so stressful, really need to get the grade out of resolve asap, it did crash all the time while doing the grade but got it done, really should have done it in premiere and its always been seamless and never crashes but love resolve, think its the best grading software by a mile apart from the nightmare I'm having with it lately, be very slow to use it again after this.
any help at all would be so appreciated

thanks guys :)

attached log and project file here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

my system is :
windows 8.1
32 gig of ram
AMD FX-8350 8 core
video card is Nvidia GTX 980ti
c drive: ssd 250 gig
D drive: 1tb 720rpm drive
E drive: 3tb 720rpm drive

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue May 29, 2018 10:08 pm

Your link is not valid.

Please try Resolve 15b4 and if that also crashes, post a log from that, and your project drp and a Windows System Information .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Robert A. Ober

PostTue May 29, 2018 10:22 pm

And never use a Beta on a production machine.

Sincerely,
Robert

declan37

PostTue May 29, 2018 11:31 pm

thanks so much dwaine

sorry here is the link to logs and project, https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... eQai7R2PXb

crashing started in v 14.3 halfway through so moved to v15beta to see if that sorted (probably not a good idea but thought it may fix the issue, but the pressure was on) :)

downloading new version now. will post new logs etc if need be fingers crossed

thanks so much

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 30, 2018 1:06 am

There are no hard crash dumps being created. So I assume Resolve is just hanging on you?

I hate to go here, but lacking anything more specific, I will: We don't support Windows 7 or 8.1. Windows 10 only. I can't say at all that this is causing the issues you are having, but it's not a good position to be in.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

declan37

PostWed May 30, 2018 1:23 am

thanks dwaine for your help,

im gona install new davinci as suggested in the morning will also rename data folder to.orig as you suggested in an earlier thread, this helped me open resolve again before (thanks for the tip,) if that fails i'll update to windows 10 see if that fixes it,

thanks again

have a great evening

Glenn Sakatch

PostThu May 31, 2018 3:17 am

Not so much a solution to a why does this keep crashing during renders question, but personally, if I have an issue outputting a project on a deadline due to random crashes, I will quickly change to a image sequence output. If the render crashes, you don't lose anything that has already rendered. You can then pickup your render from the last good frame, or at least shot that was successfully rendered.

Once the render is done, import the dpxs and render them out as your movie type that was previously crashing. You should find the strain on the box waaaay lower, and (usually) you can get the output done. Delete the dpx intermediates when done, or keep them as a submaster.

Return to DaVinci Resolve