Importing CinemaDNG from Ursa Mini Pro to Resolve 14 B5

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ross Chevalier

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 10:19 pm

Hello all,

I realize that I am going to sound like an idiot here, but I am completely lost. I have some clips shot on the URSA Mini Pro and am able to add them to the media pool and use them without issue so long as they are not CinemaDNG.

I have looked at tutorials online and clearly have missed a big step.

In the Media workspace, I select the folder containing all the DNG files and the one WAV file that comprises a single clip. I made the ... selection to reveal all the frames, and I see a thumbnail for each file. Looking at the inspector I see that a file may have 1 or 2 or 3 frames in it and one has 288 frames. No file has all the frames in it.

If I right click on the folder containing all the files, including the audio, and choose Add to Media Pool, it does so but it's quite slow, possibly because I am trying the Beta 5 of Resolve 14 as well. Eventually the media pool populates, but instead of a single clip, I get hundreds of short clips with separate audio.

I can put all the files into a timeline, but the timing is completely off and using the audio file as a check, there is no ability to sync, because the length of the clip section in the timeline is much longer than the wav audio track.

I apologize if I am an idiot. This is my first try working with CinemaDNG files and it's really frustrating to me.

Thank you in advance.

Ross

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Importing CinemaDNG from Ursa Mini Pro to Resolve 14 B5

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 10:40 pm

It sounds like frames were dropped during the original recording.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

rick.lang

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 12:47 am

When you have no dropped DNG files in a CinemaDNG folder on the Media page, Resolve presents the first image from the clip to represent the clip. If you're seeing a folder of the clip in Media, not an image, you have dropped frames. How were you recording? Frame rates (project and sensor) and raw or raw 3:1 or raw 4.1? On what card exactly? How did you format it (file system and in camera or in a card reader)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Kays Alatrakchi

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 7:04 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:It sounds like frames were dropped during the original recording.

Yup, I'm sure that's exactly the issue since I ran into a very similar issue with 12.5 a while back when I shot some stuff on the BMPCC and indeed frames had been dropped.

Having said that, I do wish that Resolve (particularly since it's yo' all's camera and all) would provide some way to manage that footage in a...how shall we say...more "elegant" manner?

Basically a really cool thing (perhaps a Resolve 15 wish list item) would be for Resolve to warn that frames appear to be missing, and ask if the user would like to import them as a single clip with missing frames, or if the user would like to have Resolve "reconstruct" the missing frames through Optical Blending or some other manner (I believe Fusion Studio can do that). That would be really really awesome!
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

rick.lang

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 6:38 pm

Kays, finding out you have dropped frames (after your shoot is over?) in Resolve may not be the best timing. There is a setting in the Record tab in which you can Stop Recording on Dropped Frames. I leave that option On at all times. So you know something is wrong because you're no longer recording. If you leave that Off, the camera still flashes red to indicate a problem. You can try it out in a test in which you know it will probably drop frames such as single card recording of raw uncompressed at 60 fps of 4.6K video.

Rick Lang

Kays Alatrakchi

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 9:29 pm

Rick,

I know you mean well....I really do. But that's not what we're talking about here. Basically I have no control over what is coming in, and it would be quite awesome if there was a way for Resolve to deal with non-contiguous dropped-frame footage in a way that didn't turn into a massive headache for us in post production.

We both agree that best practices would warrant to avoid dropped frames in the first place, so you will get no argument from me there. But best practices is not always...practiced!
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Ross Chevalier

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 2:57 pm

Thanks all for the feedback. I was recording on an URSA Mini Pro to an internal LEXAR SANdisk CFAST card. Truth to tell I have no idea which RAW ratio that I was shooting in and did not know enough as Rick as noted to use the setting Stop Recording on Dropped Frames. Since the SANdisk card was listed as supported, I am more concerned that there were dropped frames period. Perhaps should I have the opportunity, I should just push the 4K to an external recorder instead?

I do not see a folder of a clip, I see a stack of images inside a folder representing what I think is the directory on the card, at least that is how it appears on the Mac, about 1000 in number each representing 2-3 frames except for one that shows 237 frames. In Resolve if I click the "folder" in the Media viewer, it expands to show the 1000s of thumbnails and this takes a very long time, which leads me to believe that there are dropped frames as proposed and it is now seeing a stack of individual DNG files.

The card was formatted in camera. It's the only way that I ever format cards because of past experience. Framerate was 29.97 at DCI 4K, as specified in the camera.

Any further guidance will be appreciated.

Ross

John Paines

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 3:02 pm

The Ursa mini pro has a dropped frame indicator in the VF, no? Run a test and see if it is in fact dropping frames. If not, bring that clip into v14 and see what happens.

If you have dropbox access, you also might want to upload the folder (for a clip recorded with no drop frame indicators) for a clip running a second or two. Somebody here is sure to try it on his/her system.

Jim Simon

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 3:18 pm

Ross Chevalier wrote:I made the ... selection to reveal all the frames

Change that.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Ross Chevalier

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 4:19 pm

Sadly I only had the URSA Mini Pro for a few days and was rushing my testing and have nothing short to upload for review.

Thank you Jim for the tip not to reveal all frames, I did it because other posts said it was necessary

Ross

rick.lang

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 4:25 pm

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:Rick,

... Basically I have no control over what is coming in... best practices is not always...practiced!

Thanks for the note, Kays. I agree when that does occur, there could be options developed in Resolve for handling it differently.
Rick Lang

bensaffer

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 5:53 pm

Unless I'm missing something seems to me it may be a simple case of operator error here, if you have the ... show frames selected then Resolve will import image sequences such as DNG as individual frames and give each frame a 1second (by default I think) duration. Which explains the clip length thing and the audio sync. I'd make sure that's not your issue before you then look to tackle the dropped frame / clip duration issue

Return to DaVinci Resolve