Audio automation in Fairlight

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Lew Schatzer

Audio automation in Fairlight

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 11:35 pm

So, I was able to record volume automation to a clip but can't figure out how to remove the automation. Any ideas? It doesn't show any keyframes like most audio editors either in Fairlight or the edit mode.

MarcKubik

Re: Audio automation in Fairlight

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 8:23 am

Well!! 1 Year later no answer. Does really nobody know how to Edit or erase an automation in Fairlight????

Brad Hurley

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 11:58 am

Try this (while on the Fairlight page in Resolve 15; may work in 14 as well but I no longer have 14):

1. Select the track where you have automation applied, and type "r" to choose the range selection tool.

2. Select the range of the track that includes the automation.

3. With the range selected, go over to the right, to the Inspector, and look for the Clip Volume settings. Click the reset button (it's the icon that looks like a counterclockwise circular arrow).

4. That will remove the automation and return your levels to where they were originally.

This assumes you applied the automation the usual way in Fairlight, which is to option-click (alt-click in Windows) to apply your edit points and then dragging them up or down to shape your automation.

Note that Mary Plummer, a great instructor who did most of the Logic Pro training videos for Ripple Training, is reportedly writing an instruction book on Fairlight for BMD; once that's available it should clear up a lot of questions.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Craig Marshall

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 12:06 pm

"Fairlight for Dummies" That's what we need!
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Brad Hurley

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 12:23 pm

Also see the Automation Recording section of the Resolve 14 manual, starting on page 1193 at http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/D ... Manual.pdf
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Jean Claude

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 5:30 pm

Lew Schatzer wrote:So, I was able to record volume automation to a clip but can't figure out how to remove the automation. Any ideas? It doesn't show any keyframes like most audio editors either in Fairlight or the edit mode.

Hi,

You do your automation Fader : OK
Warning :
Automation : Write
Touch : Latch
On Stop : Hold

1-after_automation.jpg

(Exp)

You want to reset.
1- you come back to the beginning of your TL
2- You re-arm automations
3- you do not forget to reposition the Mixer to 0DB. (see red line)
4- After that you press the space bar a fraction of a second. You stop the Playhead
2_go_back_Start_TL.jpg

It's over
3-finish.jpg

Turn OFF ALL automation...or same player : shoot.... :lol:

Yet (Fairlight to reset tab):
via the inspector: it does not work
via right click: Remove Atribute: it does not work.

It's Beta :)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 7:27 am

Not included in the release notes for version 15 beta 5, but the beginnings of automation editing have been included via two additional buttons in the automation drawer.

Jean Claude

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 5:35 pm

Hi Reynaud,

It's a beginning towards our wishes :)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Daz Wood

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 8:41 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:Not included in the release notes for version 15 beta 5, but the beginnings of automation editing have been included via two additional buttons in the automation drawer.

Fantastic, we need this.
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

Glenn Venghaus

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 1:05 pm

Yessssss. Did not notice that.Tnx
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Michael Tiemann

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 11:21 pm

Now...how about editing automation on the master bus. You can automate it, but you cannot see the automation or edit it via the UI, as far as I can tell.
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

Marc Wielage

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 5:37 am

Craig Marshall wrote:"Fairlight for Dummies" That's what we need!

Now available:

marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Ru Cook

PostSat Jan 26, 2019 11:13 pm

Hi all, have jumped back into Resolve/Fairlight again after a years absence. I tried it this time last year & the firelight section was very still Beta. Huge improvements now to the automation.

Its still not quite Pro Tools though..but it's getting there !

Does anyone know if there is a way to constrain the direction when dragging automation breakpoints ? At the moment its hard to grab a bunch of them & move them *purely* vertically or *horizontally*

This makes trimming a section very fiddly.

Am I missing anything or has this not been added yet? Most DAW's use a modifier key (shift to command) to constrain dragging in a single direction .

If its not possible, id like to suggest this as feature. Shouldn't. be too hard to implement .
Resolve Studio 18.1.3 : M1 Mac mini, OSX 12.6.5, 16gb. 2Tb internal
Pro Tools Ultimate. Blender. FCPX, Adobe CC

FabriceAragno

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 6:36 pm

Hi,

Witch control surface is able to work, at least, for simple fader mix automation, in Resolve 15.2?
I could mix a film in Resolve 14 last year (in cannes..) with an Artist Mix in 7.1 (with some bugs but ok) and now it seems worst.
Artist mix not recognise any more, Stop playback after a snap correction in automation loose all rest of mix after le playhead, even if the stop option is in Return position. (it put all the rest in same level as in snap)
Why is no settings for the snap "return" time?
Well ... what do Blackmagic think about mixing in fairlight ?

Thanks

Fabrice

noahyes

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 8:28 pm

i know this is an old post, but man, the automation and other mixing elements in resolve are just so clunky still. that being said, i think resolve is the most forward thinking software out there, and if you resolve devs could make fairlight work like logic or pro tools, i would love you forever. give us soft sythn/plugin capability, give us efficient editing tools, and give us the ability to link izotope, etc, and you will see a massive show of support.

in my mind, the ideal movie making suite is resolve with logic and after effects twins as tabs, instead of how fairlight and fusion are now. fusion is neat and all, but not very user friendly, and just doesnt do half of what AE does. give me high end rotoscoping (like the roto brush in AE), a solid vfx library, and a pro DAW. not only will i be a happy filmmaker, but i will trumpet the greatness of resolve from the rooftops.

Return to DaVinci Resolve