Newbie questions

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Pedro Dias

Newbie questions

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 7:59 am

Tried searching the forums for this, but seems like nothing that helps me, so here goes:

Question 1:
I see a lot of videos and tutorials on Resolve displaying effects from the effects library as full-size thumbnails. In my Resolve 12.5, all I can see are text descriptions. Is there an option to turn this on once and for all?

Question 2:
Measuring time, i.e. if I want to speed up a clip so that it exactly matches my audio, I've found no good way of doing it. I can MARK empty space between two clips, but I can't measure it. I also tried setting 2 markers on the timeline, but again, I can't see the time between the two markers (btw, when I say time, I could also refer to number of frames, as long as its any measure of time). How can I do this?

Question 3:
Related to 2, but how do I see clip lengths? Both individual clips as well as selected clips on the timeline?

Question 4:
Might be a silly one, but someone mentioned drag&drop now works in 12.5? I'm running 12.5.6.017 and there is no drag/drop to my media anywhere from the file system (windows 10). Did I misread?

Question 5:
Why do I always run out of cofveve? :D

Sorry about all the questions, hope you're not offended by them. I'm learning as fast as I can :)
Med vennlig hilsen / Regards,

_________
Pedro Dias
- DaVinci Resolve Studio -
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt

Stewart Hemley

Re: Newbie questions

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 8:37 am

Edited: meant to be helpful but it came across wrongly! So I deleted.
Last edited by Stewart Hemley on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Wielage

Re: Newbie questions

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 8:44 am

Pedro Dias wrote:Measuring time, i.e. if I want to speed up a clip so that it exactly matches my audio, I've found no good way of doing it. I can MARK empty space between two clips, but I can't measure it. I also tried setting 2 markers on the timeline, but again, I can't see the time between the two markers (btw, when I say time, I could also refer to number of frames, as long as its any measure of time). How can I do this?

Highlight the clip in the Edit page, right-click and bring up the Change Clip Speed dialog box. I generally put a clip to be sped up on a separate track so it won't affect any of the clips that follow. Matching video speed to audio is a trial-and-error thing, but you can get good at it over time.

Related to 2, but how do I see clip lengths? Both individual clips as well as selected clips on the timeline?

Individual clips: in the Edit page, double-click on the clip and you'll see it appear in the left-hand Viewer screen, with the clip runtime in the upper left. Selected clips. I dunno.

The manual is a must-read, as are the various tutorials available on the web.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve