Quick question on color correction controller tech

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Chuck Hawks

Quick question on color correction controller tech

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 6:56 pm

I'm new to resolve and was wondering if the identical 3 Kensington wireless track balls I have on-hand could be used as controllers in color correction in lieu of a device that is more targeted/marketed as such that is basically 3 trackballs in a single housing.

I realize units designed to be used for this specific purpose will have select buttons, etc. to be assigned CC functions but to get my system up and running I was wondering if Resolve will allow me to assign individual USB controllers to each CC function.

Thanks in advance for any/all help!
Cheers,
Chuck
Cheers,
C

Chuck Hawks
Old dog learning new tricks
On-High Media & rEvolution Performance

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Quick question on color correction controller tech

PostWed Jul 19, 2017 11:34 pm

Resolve will not allow you to do that.

There may be third party mapping tools that could be of use.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Marc Wielage

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 3:05 am

Chuck Hawks wrote:I'm new to resolve and was wondering if the identical 3 Kensington wireless track balls I have on-hand could be used as controllers in color correction in lieu of a device that is more targeted/marketed as such that is basically 3 trackballs in a single housing.

No. For that, you need a hardware control surface like the Tangent Elements, Tangent Ripple, Tangent Wave, Avid Artist Color, Blackmagic Mini, or Blackmagic Micro panel. Mice ain't gonna fly.

One key feature you get with a hardware control surface is the ability to do 2 (even 3) things at the same time, which is important when you need to simultaneously turn one thing up while turning something else down, or vice versa. You can't do this with a mouse.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Chuck Hawks

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 5:31 am

Just the info I was looking for, thanks guys!

I've been eyeballing the Tangent gear. I have a lot of Avid audio gear (but not Artist Color) and am looking at making the jump from MC to Resolve as an editing platform.

I've been saying how fed up I am with Avid's philosophy and products for a long time and it's finally come to a head.

Thanks again,
C
Cheers,
C

Chuck Hawks

Chuck Hawks

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 5:46 am

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I've been eyeballing the Tangent gear, so I guess that will get more serious now.
Cheers,
C

Chuck Hawks

JPOwens

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 7:11 pm

Chuck Hawks wrote:I've been eyeballing the Tangent gear

You should also consider the dedicated Micro (~$1400)and Mini (~$4K) BMD surfaces if you aren't intending to try to use a controller of that type with any other applications. The Tangent devices will interface with a selection of NLEs. The BMD controllers are dedicated to the Windows and Mac versions of Resolve.

If the MIni had been available a couple of years ago, I definitely would have selected it over the Tangent WAVE(~$2K), and it may actually be very stiff competition compared to a set of ELEMENTS (~$4K+).

jPo, CSI

Return to DaVinci Resolve