Smallest files

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

JanKocbek

Smallest files

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 9:34 am

1. h264
2. mpeg4

3 ?

4 ??

If h264 and mpeg4 render wouldnt work for someone, what's next?

Is there a DXxHD rendering setting that would make a smaller file? Any other file version one could install codecs for and export in?

Thomas Milde

Re: Smallest files

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 9:44 am

You could render out a big file and transcode later with some other tool, like ffmpg or XMediaRecode or [insert tool of your choice here].
Tech:
Win 10 pro, Ryzen 9 5900X, 128 GB, M.2 for media
RTX 3080 ti, Intensity Pro, DVR Studio + Fusion 18.x, Desktop Video 12.x

Paul Willis

Re: Smallest files

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 2:17 pm

Is the person you're sending it to not able to play the file, or are you having trouble exporting it?

H.264 really should play for most people, but I do understand some institutions are still stuck on older versions of Windows without modern codec support. In these cases I have had to use MPEG2 or even WMV ( :o ) using other software.

What software are they playing the file back with? Maybe ask them to download and playback on VLC as this usually plays pretty much anything on any platform. Ultimately if the file is encoded as h.264 it'll be compatible with YouTube, Vimeo etc, so if that's where it's ending up in the end then I would suggest you just upload it yourself and share a link.

If you're having trouble encoding then export DNxHD and encode a h.264 using something like Handbrake.
www.chief.tv
www.paulwilliscolour.com

AMD Threadripper 3970X 32-Core
RTX 3090 24GB
128GB RAM
Windows 11

Return to DaVinci Resolve