Re-Editing after grading

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kevsalinas

Re-Editing after grading

PostSat Jul 22, 2017 1:37 am

Hey everyone, I'm having trouble figuring out how to re edit my footage in FCPX after grading in Davinci resolve..I'm using FCPX and exporting an xml file into davinci resolve, grading and rendering my project back into FCPX, after my final render my client wants to make serveral changes, after re editing my original FCPX project i have to import a new xml file back into davinci, but I'm back to my original nongraded footage and have to re grade all over again in davinci, is there a way I can reapply all my grades from my previous edit to all clips or do I have to regrade each clip one by one again?? Thanks for the help

Hector Berrebi

Re: Re-Editing after grading

PostSun Jul 30, 2017 6:35 pm

Kevsalinas wrote:Hey everyone, I'm having trouble figuring out how to re edit my footage in FCPX after grading in Davinci resolve..I'm using FCPX and exporting an xml file into davinci resolve, grading and rendering my project back into FCPX, after my final render my client wants to make serveral changes, after re editing my original FCPX project i have to import a new xml file back into davinci, but I'm back to my original nongraded footage and have to re grade all over again in davinci, is there a way I can reapply all my grades from my previous edit to all clips or do I have to regrade each clip one by one again?? Thanks for the help

Hi Kev

I'm not sure from your question if you are aware of 2 useful features/workflows in Resolve

1. Round tripping. you can send back an XML to FCPX along with graded shots (render individual clips)
and add as much handles as you need for refining the edit there.

2. You can use a feature called ColorTrace to move grades from one timeline to another based on metadata. it is a very useful tool. you can read about it on page 951 of the manual.

2b. you can also use the Remote Grades workflow to transfer grades between timelines automatically. I find it a bit less convenient than ColorTrace and maybe harder for beginners. its on the bottom of page 601 in the manual

hope this helped

hector
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Frank Glencairn

Re: Re-Editing after grading

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 9:03 am

..or Edit in Resolve, while you are there :-)
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Return to DaVinci Resolve