Bug report/enhancement request: use source filenames

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

PalmerWoodrow

Bug report/enhancement request: use source filenames

PostSat Jul 22, 2017 4:39 am

Hi all.

I just wasted an hour rendering footage out, because Resolve decided to use made-up filenames like "Untitled00932112.mov" instead of simply using the source clips' names.

If a user selects "Individual clips" under Render Settings, it stands to reason that he most likely wants to use the source names. How else will the user re-link the color-corrected files in his editing application?

The problem is compounded by the nonsensical UI organization under Render Settings, which has "Filename" and "Location" labels floating in space at the top of the Render Settings panel, but everything else having to do with files is hidden until you press the File button. You can't even set the value of the "Filename" field in that area without pressing the File button, so why not put everything file-related in one place?

The "Filename," "Location," and "Single clip / Individual clips" should be under File with the rest of the file-related parameters. That way the user can see all of them at once, and at least have some warning of unexpected defaults.

And finally, the terminology of "single clip / individual clip" is incorrect; you're rendering a single file or individual files. The clips are the source material, not the destination.

Thank you.
Attachments
renderTabSuggestion.png
renderTabSuggestion.png (435.17 KiB) Viewed 5072 times
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

PeterMoretti

Re: Bug report/enhancement request: use source filenames

PostSat Jul 22, 2017 9:55 pm

Choosing Filename uses Source Name doesn't do what you want?
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

PalmerWoodrow

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 12:40 am

Thanks for your reply.

PeterMoretti wrote:Choosing Filename uses Source Name doesn't do what you want?

That option isn't shown when you click "Individual clips." Thus my two main points:

1. The default for "individual clips" should be to use the source names. Why else would I be opting for individual files? If the files all have random names, how are we supposed to re-link them in our editing application?

2. All of the file options should be shown TOGETHER. For some reason, the options I've circled are floating up there in space, but all of the other critical file info is hidden unless you click on "File." Why?
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

danielstonehouse

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 4:15 am

Resolves flexibility is its strength. An option that you would never use is more than likely critical to someone else's workflow. Tools are powerful when they can be used by a wide variety of different people in different situations. This of course means, a somewhat steep learning curve, with the possibility of making some small mistakes along the way.

The reason the output path is elevated above all other options is that it is the single most important option when rendering (many programs do this, media encoder, and compressor for example). The reason the Filename is above it is to help prevent the precise problem you had, which is not setting the naming parameters correctly. It is a display, not a setting — The reason you can't edit it is because it is governed by a complex set of rules and options, which, as you agree are logically contained under the File page.

Sorry to say, It sounds like you made a rendering mistake, got angry, and rather than learning from it, you've blamed the tools and now want to change and limit Resolve to fit your personal workflow only. Which is a bad idea for a number of reasons, not least of all that it's unlikely to happen. Make a render settings preset with things the way you want it, and you'll never have this problem again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeterMoretti

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 4:44 am

PalmerWoodrow wrote:Thanks for your reply.

That option isn't shown when you click "Individual clips." ...

Huh? It's shown on your right screen grab.

I can certainly choose Source Name with Individual clips selected.

And I used it last week.

I'm on 14b5, maybe we are on different versions? I assure you it can be selected and works on my machine.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

PalmerWoodrow

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 12:52 am

PeterMoretti wrote:
PalmerWoodrow wrote:Thanks for your reply.

That option isn't shown when you click "Individual clips." ...

Huh? It's shown on your right screen grab.

That's only shown if you roll down and click on "File." If you don't happen to do that, all of the other file parameters remain hidden. Thus my suggestion that all parameters that govern file generation should be together.
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

PalmerWoodrow

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 1:05 am

danielstonehouse wrote:Resolves flexibility is its strength...

I'm not asking for anything that reduces flexibility in any way, so I don't know what the point of that homily was.

danielstonehouse wrote:The reason the output path is elevated above all other options is that it is the single most important option when rendering... The reason you can't edit it is because it is governed by a complex set of rules and options, which, as you agree are logically contained under the File page.

I do not agree, because they're not contained under the File page. That's the whole point of this report. All of the rendering-destination-related settings should be together.

And defaulting to random filenames when "individual clips" is selected doesn't make sense. What is more likely, that someone will want to reconnect their editing timeline to a color-corrected version of the footage, or that they want to manually hunt for arbitrarily named files one at a time? And this is not reduced flexibility; the random-name option is still there.

I'm talking about simple organization here. It's necessary design work on a software product, and of course it can be iterative. This is about poor organization that's easily fixed, potentially saving many hours for users.
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

Peter Cave

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 1:33 am

You REALLY need to read the manual and learn about the delivery page.

Your lack of understanding does not mean the software is poorly structured. I'm not trying to be difficult, it's just that in 10 years of using Resolve and following this forum, this is the first time anyone has had an issue as you have described.

The uppermost section on the file delivery page is only an information pane to remind you what the current settings are. If it says "untitled" then that is the file name which will be used for output. Resolve needs to add other indexing info to the file name so each clip (file) does not get overwritten by the next rendered clip (file) as the appropriate settings have not been set by the user.

The layout in the delivery page has evolved over many years of input from extremely experienced users and is designed to work from a professional grading perspective. It's based on an "order of operations" workflow, not a "visually logical" workflow.

I like the fact that the first thing I see is what the current setup is.

Open up the manual and you will start to appreciate how it is structured.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

danielstonehouse

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 2:02 am

Create new project, drag in some footage, switch to the render page and without touching anything this is what you will see. Custom Name "Untitled" is not the default for individual clips

Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 11.50.01 am.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 11.50.01 am.png (54.6 KiB) Viewed 4993 times

Now, if you switch to single clip, and then back to Individual clips, you will see filename set to Untitled. Not ideal. But neither is rendering to source name, with Use unique filenames turned off (in many cases). There is no one size fits all default that will suit most users most of the time.

The solution is to use the render settings as intended: Think through your individual workflow, set the render settings to suit. If you are feeling extra efficient, save a preset with things the way you like them. I have four presets that handle 99% of my workflows – took about 5 minutes of work.

PalmerWoodrow

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 5:19 am

defaults.png
defaults.png (88.73 KiB) Viewed 4987 times
Thanks for your reply.

danielstonehouse wrote:Create new project, drag in some footage, switch to the render page and without touching anything this is what you will see. Custom Name "Untitled" is not the default for individual clips

Not true on my system. I just tried this, and the default is "Untitled" with "Single clip" selected. Then I clicked on "Individual clips" and the filename remained "Untitled."
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

Marc Wielage

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 5:36 am

What is true is that before you hit the render button, you have to double-check every single setting from top to bottom. At this point, I do this so quickly it doesn't even take me 10 seconds, but I still do it every time. The second thing I'll do before starting a big render is to do a test: render out a short file, double check that all the parameters (file name, aspect ratio, resolution, color space, audio, render speed, etc.) are correct, and then and only then do I render all.

And the third thing I might do if I were rendering a large number of clips for a round trip: I would check the destination folder every so often just to make sure the files were being named correctly and wind up in the right place. These things are true for all color-correction, VFX, and editing programs, not just Resolve.

This is the kind of mistake you only have to make once. We've all done it. The lesson learned is: look before you leap.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Tom Early

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 9:17 am

I much prefer the current layout and terminology. As for defaulting to source names, it does that if you choose the roundtrip presets at the top, or you can create your own easily enough. There are probably workflows where it makes sense to customise them though.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

PalmerWoodrow

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 7:27 am

Tom Early wrote:I much prefer the current layout and terminology.

To what?

Tom Early wrote:As for defaulting to source names, it does that if you choose the roundtrip presets at the top

What does that mean?

And forcing yourself to go through laborious workarounds for design defects doesn't make things better. It enables defective design and contributes to the continued decline of UI. When mistakes are made, we should point them out instead of serving as apologists.
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 7:52 am

If it does not suit your specific idea of how the world should be it does NOT mean its wrong or at least not for everyone. I for one think it is actually the best part of the render page.
The fact that the first thing i see is 1. what filename is set (or not/wrongly set) and 2. where will it end up , regardless of which sub page i am in , is and has been a lifesaver in complex renderjobs with dozens of individual deliveries using variables for creating filenames.
Last thing before i press submit to render queue is look at those 2 fields .
So i hope they stay where they are.

As mentioned before, just make presets and get over with it. Takes a few minutes and you have your ideal setup set in stone...

One thing that did catch me a few times , is forgetting to 'disable' to render burn-ins when i have them on almost all the time for convenience ;-) Its a bit hidden under advanced settings, but once burned :lol: you wil never forget anymore.
I learn from it , hardcode it in every preset i use, and not suggest BM puts that on the top of the page or change the default just because i forgot it. :mrgreen:
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 8:11 am

p.s I do partly agree with you on changing the naming of "individual clip' and "single clip" and it has tripped up many . But not just changing clips in files.
I would prefer the naming , "render from individual media pool source clips" and "render from timeline" as that is the only important distinction.
Thinking only multiple vs single files will trip you up as well when you decide to render dailies / multiple clips with 10 tracks of synced rearranged production audio from the timeline (, thinking it will actual render these as individual clips when you select that option.
It does not and just renders these clips as they are in the media page, ignoring your carefully synced audio.
I would love to have a 3rd option " render individual clips direct from timeline" (while keeping source timecode) . Would be great for pluraleyes users. Now i created some automations to create a separate renderjob from each clip on the timeline and fix timecode after.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Tom Early

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 11:14 am

PalmerWoodrow wrote:
Tom Early wrote:I much prefer the current layout and terminology.

To what?

To what you are suggesting.

PalmerWoodrow wrote:
Tom Early wrote:As for defaulting to source names, it does that if you choose the roundtrip presets at the top

What does that mean?

Gonna have to ask you to read the manual on this one, it's all very simple

PalmerWoodrow wrote:And forcing yourself to go through laborious workarounds for design defects doesn't make things better. It enables defective design and contributes to the continued decline of UI. When mistakes are made, we should point them out instead of serving as apologists.

I'd agree, if these workarounds were laborious or this design was defective, which they are not (at least not in the ways you are suggesting). Sometimes the problems simply lie with the user.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

PalmerWoodrow

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 6:23 am

What does that mean?

Tom Early wrote:Gonna have to ask you to read the manual on this one, it's all very simple

Apparently not, since that term doesn't appear in the UI or the manual.

I never said that current settings (like render destination" can't be SHOWN up-front and on top. In fact, they all should be. You simply shouldn't be SETTING interdependent settings in separate (and, by default, hidden) places. Many applications have a summary pane that shows you everything you need to know about the current setup or profile.

How about this? I think it addresses all of the stated concerns:
Attachments
Resolve render mockup.png
Resolve render mockup.png (218.16 KiB) Viewed 4860 times
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

Glenn Venghaus

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 8:16 am

+1 for the active current settings pane. That 'would' be a good addition. Of course it will trigger discussion of what should and should not be in , but what you show there seems a good start.

PalmerWoodrow

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 3:30 pm

Thanks, Glenn..

The most important functional point is that this keeps all the setting of related parameters in one place, to reduce the chance of unexpected results.
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

Return to DaVinci Resolve