OSX 10.8.3 "requires" CUDA 5.0.45, but it won't install?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

OSX 10.8.3 "requires" CUDA 5.0.45, but it won't install?

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 1:15 am

A few days ago, after installing the OSX 10.8.3 update, when I restart my 2 yr. old MacBook Pro 17" i7 (ID: MacBookPro6,1), the System Preferences window opens automatically and displays the nVidia CUDA pref pane, with a driver "Update Required" alert. It says I must update to version 5.0.45 from version 5.0.36.

When I attempt to install the new 5.0.45 CUDA driver, the install always fails at the end of the process. The driver doesn't install, and Resolve 9.1.1 Lite won't launch.

However, when I install the old 5.0.36 CUDA driver, the install always succeeds, but of course then Mac OSX 10.8.3 displays the alert message every time I start up my computer. If I ignore the OSX 10.8.3 CUDA pref pane alert message, Resolve 9.1.1 Lite appears to launch & run perfectly with the 5.0.36 driver.

Incidentally, CUDA drivers previous to 5.0.36 also always failed at the end of their install process on my machine. Only the CUDA 5.0.36 installer installs without error.

I've been here before, only now the situation is worse because now OSX 10.8.3 seems to require the new CUDA 5.0.45 driver (which I can't install). See:
http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/ ... a-drivers/

Meanwhile, I've now also gone through the >5 hour process (!) of doing a clean re-install of 10.8.3, but that doesn't fix the problem.

What might be special and magical about the CUDA 5.0.36 installer? And, more importantly, how can I install CUDA 5.0.45 on my machine?
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeC

Re: OSX 10.8.3 "requires" CUDA 5.0.45, but it won't install?

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 1:58 am

Funny, i just got done going through the same thing. Don't know what the deal is, hope it won't mess up Resolve!

MikeC

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 2:07 am

Huh... that's weird. I ran the installer and I got the same message as Peter, but then when I just checked my CUDA version in the system preferences it says it's all up to date! So, I guess it's all good?

EDIT: Oops... spoke too soon! Drat!

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 6:30 am

Have you tried downloading the installer directly and installing with Pacifist?

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadr ... -macos.dmg

http://www.charlessoft.com/

Just an idea, i haven't updated myself yet.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 1:03 pm

CaptainHook wrote:Have you tried downloading the installer directly and installing with Pacifist?

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadr ... -macos.dmg

http://www.charlessoft.com/

Just an idea, i haven't updated myself yet.

Thanks for that. To answer your questions:

Yes, I've tried several times to install the nVidia CUDA 5.0.45 driver downloaded directly from nVidia's website (as opposed to installing it via the OSX 10.8.3 System Preferences CUDA pref pane), but the nVidia installer always fails (reports "The installation failed.") at the end of its install process.

No, I haven't used "Pacifist". I downloaded it, but frankly I could't figure it out, even after reading its Help a few times. I'm generally not inclined to install 3rd party shareware, especially ones I can't figure out by reading its documentation, so thanks anyway.

As I said in my previous post, I've now done a clean reinstall of Mac OSX 10.8.3 (wiped my MBP's HDD and reinstalled the OS), and nVidia's CUDA 5.0.45 driver always fails to install, but nVidia's CUDA 5.0.36 driver always installs successfully. (Also, nVidia CUDA drivers previous to 5.0.36 always fail to install, too). I've tried each multiple times with the same result.

It seems really weird to me that the CUDA 5.0.36 installer is the only one that can install on my machine. Unfortunately, although CUDA 5.0.36 appears to allow me to run Resolve 9.1.1 Lite, OSX 10.8.3 itself complains about it every time I start up my MBP.

EDIT: Here's a new wrinkle: Resolve 9.1.1 Lite was running OK on my machine, but I've now used its Unistaller to uninstall Resolve, and downloaded Resolve 9.1.1 Lite again, and installed it, and now Resolve 9.1.1 Lite won't launch (I have the CUDA 5.0.36 drivers installed). See attached error message ...

resolve db error.jpg
resolve db error.jpg (68.49 KiB) Viewed 11742 times

EDIT 2: I noticed that Dwaine earlier posted that the App Store version of Resolve 9.1.2 uses "OpenCL GPU processing" (is that "OpenCL" or "OpenGL"?). Is that instead of CUDA?
viewtopic.php?p=38287&sid=2eaf7ef5363fc3cc11acd215a1ee406d#p38287

So, I uninstalled Resolve 9.1.1 (the version from the BMD website), and then installed Resolve 9.1.2 from the App Store ... and that installs & launches w/o error on my machine. Of course, OSX 10.8.3 still complains about CUDA needing to be updated every time I restart my machine.

Questions:

Is the App Store version (9.1.2) not as fast as the BMD website version (9.1.1)?

If I find that the App Store version of Resolve is "fast enough" to be usable on my machine, and if it doesn't use CUDA drivers, is there a way to uninstall CUDA so OSX 10.8.3 stops complaining about it?

MikeC

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 5:35 pm

I just tried downloading the latest CUDA driver (5.0.45) from their website and installing it with Pacifist (3.0.10). Although the installer is "successful" when I restart and check my CUDA version in the system preferences it says that I have version 5.0.45 installed (GPU Driver Version: 8.10.44 304.10.65f03) but it still says "Update Required."

Then when I go to try and run Resolve it tells me that CUDA is not installed!

Any word about how to fix this issue?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 7:07 pm

Peter, the error message you posted had nothing to do with CUDA. That error means you are using a PostgreSQL database, and Resolve did not find PostgreSQL running. Could be as simple as opening the Applications/PostgreSQL 8.4 folder and running Start Server.

The Apple App store version of Resolve Lite has a few differences to the web site version. I would recommend you use the BMD Support Download version for best functionality.

No, I meant OpenCL not GL support. That's what Resolve uses for GPU processing on AMD/ATI graphics. Since that's all the App Store 9.1.2 app supports, NVIDIA CUDA will not be used if you have NVIDIA graphics, so performance will be worse.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi Dwaine: Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, when I double-click on Start Server, I get an error (see attachment):

postgresSQL error.jpg
postgresSQL error.jpg (10.58 KiB) Viewed 11685 times

This is the first I've heard of "postgresSQL". Is it something installed by Resolve? Is it installed by OSX 10.8.3? Will it start-up automatically when I restart my machine, or do I need to somehow tell OSX to do that?

Also, how do I uninstall the App Store version of Resolve? Does it come with an uninstaller app?

As a long-time Mac user I find Resolve maddeningly difficult to install & maintain. Thanks again for your help.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 10:30 pm

PostgreSQL was the default database manager in version 8 of Resolve. It is installed (if not already present) by all current Resolve installers, except the Mac App Store 9.1.2 Resolve Lite version.

The fact you have the Applications/PostgresSQL 8.4 folder available, and had a Start Server icon to click, means that PostgreSQL is installed on your system. I don't know why you are getting that message.

In version 9 Resolve, even though we still install PostgreSQL, that is not the default database type Resolve will use, unless you already were using a PostgreSQL database. But assuming a new V9 install on a system that never ran V8 Resolve, by default, Resolve will create and use a DISK database. This requires no external app to support and is managed directly by the Resolve app. If you are having issues with PostgreSQL, the easiest thing to do would be to create a new DISK database, using the Resolve Database Manager. Details on page 611 of the Resolve manual in the "To Switch to Project-Based Management" section.

I don't know how the 9.1.2 version of Resolve installed from the App store is best removed. Perhaps one of my coworkers will chime in with comments about that. The 9.1.2 install is separate from the BMD Web Site install, so you can install 9.1.1 from the BMD web site, which will have it's own Resolve launch icon, and just use that. Remove the 9.1.2 launch icon from your launch ribbon, if present. You don't need to remove that version for the normal version to work.
Dwaine Maggart

MikeC

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi Dwaine. I'm still having issues getting the new CUDA drive to show up as being installed. I tried installing the 5.0.45 version but the only way I can get it to work is by using pacifist. Then it still shows (in system preferences) that it needs an update, even though it shows the current version. Then when I try to start up Resolve 9.1.1 it tells me that CUDA is not installed!

I tried to rollback the CUDA driver to 5.0.37 but I don't think I'm doing it right. Again I'm using pacifist, again it's showing up in system preferences and again in Resolve it says CUDA is not installed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

my system:

MacBook Pro 6,1
OSX 10.8.3
GeForce GT 330M

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 10:16 pm

I can't help you with the CUDA versioning, and why you can't install or update it properly.

Regarding Resolve not seeing CUDA:

Before going further into this message, go into System Preferences / Energy Saver and make sure the "Automatic Graphics Switching" mode is NOT checked! If this is checked, it will cause the No CUDA problem in Resolve.

Or, perhaps with a MBP this old, even with OSX 10.8.3, you might see something like:

Graphics: Better Battery Life
Higher Performance

You need to select Higher Performance.

(If you can let me know what you actually see in Energy Saver, I'd like to know for future reference)

If the above settings are not correct, the Mac will use the Intel HD Graphics GPU, which does not support CUDA, and will cause Resolve to report no CUDA.

Assuming your Energy Saver settings are correct, continue on:

Click on the Apple icon in the upper left of your display.
Select About this Mac.
Select More Info
Select System Report

In the System Report window, select Extensions in the Software area.

Scroll through the list to the C's area and look for CUDA. It SHOULD be in this list, and it should say Version 1.1.0 (Note: This version has nothing to do with the version reported in the System Prefs / CUDA window)

If it's here, Resolve should see it. Since Resolve says No CUDA, I'm betting it won't be here, assuming proper Energy Saver settings.

If CUDA is not in Extensions, the Mac had some issue loading it at boot time. Why that might happen is beyond the scope of this message.
Dwaine Maggart

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 10:23 pm

I appreciate your assistance, Dwaine.

Just an FYI: I still have the same issue as Mike.

Since installing OSX 10.8.3, it complains at boot about CUDA needing to be updated, but the current CUDA 5.0.45 won't install on my MBP6,1.

I've managed to reinstall Resolve 9.1.1 Lite & it's working on my machine again, but only by installing CUDA 5.0.36 -- the only version of the CUDA driver that will install on my machine.

I've emailed Apple & nVidia about this issue, but haven't heard back.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 10:44 pm

Hi Peter,

My last post was aimed at Mike. Since you both have the same MBP with the GT330M NVIDIA GPU, I would speculate that perhaps 5.0.36 is the last version of CUDA that can work with that GPU, which is very old at this point.

If 5.0.36 works for you and makes the Resolve happy, then hopefully Mike can install that and solve his issue as well. It would be nice if Apple or NVIDIA can confirm why 5.0.36 is the last CUDA version that seems to install on this type of system.
Dwaine Maggart

MikeC

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 11:44 pm

Thanks for the info Dwaine. In the Energy Saver pane in system preferences it says "Automatic graphic switching" which I made sure was UNCHECKED.

But yes, it appears you're right that the only driver I can successfully install and have it work with Resolve is CUDA 5.0.36. So it works for now with Resolve 9.1.1, OSX 10.8.3 and CUDA 5.0.36.

Shoot, can't believe I gotta start thinking about getting another computer already! :shock:

Thanks for your help!

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 22, 2013 1:55 am

Dwaine is a monster at customer support - here's to Dwaine, thanks for all your help on the forums and via email!! :)
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Ned Soltz

PostSat Mar 30, 2013 3:10 am

Same exact situation here.

MacPro updated to 10.8.3 with Quadro 4000 card handles the CUDA 5.045 update and Resolve 9.1.1 launches.

On MacBook Pro Retina with 650M graphics and updated to 10.8.3, installation of 5.045 fails and Resolve won't launch. Going back to 5.036 solves the problem. The CUDA driver installs and Resolve launches.

Ned Soltz

jamesbranch

PostThu Apr 04, 2013 4:39 pm

I'm having this issue too. I'm on a new iMac with 2GB graphics card. I updated to 10.8.3 and then got the update message from CUDA. Did the install but it said it failed. Now the CUDA panel in Sys Prefs says i have 5.0.45 installed but that I need an upgrade. I've tried to install by downloading the installer directly but that says it fails too. Resolve Lite will not launch. Any ideas anyone?

Jacques Hoepffner

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 8:03 am

Hello,
I just upgraded to Resolve lite 9.1.3, with CUDA 5.0.36, I have the "CUDA not installed pannel", I try with 37 and 45 (with Pacifist), same result. What to do now?
Thank you,
Jacques Hoepffner

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 2:06 am

jamesbranch, install CUDA 5.0.36 and see if that helps.

Jacques, what type of system do you have? What type of graphics are in it? Read my 3-21 post at the top of the page and see if CUDA is loaded (assuming you have NVIDIA graphics in your system). Was an earlier version of Resolve working on your system?
Dwaine Maggart

jamesbranch

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 8:33 pm

Thanks Dwaine - Resolve works now. I guess I'll steer clear of 10.0.45 and wait for the next one?

Best regards

James

cengizözgök

PostFri Apr 26, 2013 8:02 pm

I got the update 5.0 45 but can't update to 5.0.58

Imac 27" 16gb
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

Casey Pegram

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 10:14 pm

I'm having the 5.0.58 problem on a Mac Pro 3,1 with a just-installed Geforce GTX 660 Ti. 5.0.45 installed without issue, 5.0.58 fails on the install.

Edit:

Looks like the file might just be down on Nvidia's site, I checked my Console and got this:

Download (<NSURLDownload: 0x2114c60>) failed with error - The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -1100.) http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/cuda_ ... _macos.dmg

Edit 2: Looks like the link is live again and the install from the DMG worked fine for me. However, in a surprise twist, 5.0.58 is no longer listed if you autoupdate through the CUDA preference pane.

Return to DaVinci Resolve