Transform w/ keyframes or use tracker?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Palamède de Charlus

Transform w/ keyframes or use tracker?

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 7:23 pm

I hope this question has not been discussed extensively or is silly in the first place. But I'm a complete noob when it comes to video editing (background in music) and am facing the following problem.

I have some UHD gimbal footage with some rather nasty jerks in it. Basically the footage is fine and stable (stabilising is not the issue), but every once in a while the motors apparently made up their own mind and slightly jerk left or right. Now since this will end up as 1080p there's plenty of space to give away to reframe, but the reframing would have to be dynamically so to speak. Is that an actual concept, dynamic reframing?

Now the obvious solution for somebody like me who doesn't know what he's doing would be to use transform position and zoom with lots of keyframes. First bummer (and a quick search shows I'm not the first to notice) is that the bezier curves for the position can not be edited in the timeline. But regardless, getting this right so the result looks natural sounds like a nightmare and lots of tedious work with the tools available in Resolve, but it should be doable.

Then I thought perhaps Resolve's tracker could be used for this purpose, but I have no idea where to start.

Perhaps the whole endeavour is completely absurd, I certainly couldn't really find any real information on what I would call dynamic reframing. But as I mention, I come from an audio background and if the position and size of the frame could be moved in time and controlled by something like what in a DAW would be automation lanes, it really shouldn't be too hard to accomplish.

Any hints or am I approaching this completely wrong?

Uli Plank

Re: Transform w/ keyframes or use tracker?

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 5:25 am

Dynamic reframing is called stabilization! It's not bad in the release version, but much better in 14.

It should do what you want, but don't be disappointed if it will still show: the jerk will cause a few blurred frames, which can hardly be fixed. Get a better gimbal…
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Palamède de Charlus

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 4:08 pm

Ha, thank you for lifting me onto the obvious! I didn't realize the stabilizer could be so drastic, but it does a pretty damn good job, now I just need to figure out how to fine tune it. There seem to be several parameters, but I don't know how to adjust them. This seems to be a lack of general knowledge about Resolve though and I'll just have to dive into this.

More generally speaking, what I was ultimately looking for is a way to have a frame with the aspect ratio of the project that I can freely place, move and resize on top of the footage, 'tap' in keyframes and then adjust the transitions with the bezier curves. This would be what I would call dynamic reframing and since I can't find any information on how to achieve that (in any software really), I'm probably just ignorant about the proper name of that technique/procedure.

How is that best done?

Uli Plank

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 3:14 am

It's all there if you like to do that by hand, just dive into the manual.

But I bet you'll hate it and will have a hard time to mimic what the stabilizer can achieve with some fine tuning.

BTW, of course dynamic reframing is not synonymous with stabilization (you could leave black borders around the image if you like that), but it's part of any good stabilization software.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Palamède de Charlus

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 7:14 am

Stabilization is only one use of what I had in mind and you're right, I too doubt I'll be able to do a better job than Resolve in that regard and it certainly wouldn't be fun. But that's just one way of putting to use rather technically, what in a more general sense could be used artistically and for lack of a better word I termed dynamic reframing.

Essentially I was just hoping for a dynamic zoom where one could select multiple frames rather than just start and end and adjust the transitions freely with curves in the timeline. The functionality is indeed all there with transform/cropping, but only being able to work with numbers and sliders in the inspector rather than visually placing the frame onto the image as with the dynamic zoom is just very counterintuitive for me.

Uli Plank

PostSun Jul 30, 2017 3:19 am

Check that functionality in the beta of 14. Much improved, but still a bit buggy. You can get at keyframes and at curves by just opening the tiny icons on the right of a clip in the timeline.

Quite similar to what you can do in AE, for example.

Return to DaVinci Resolve